Sign in to follow this  
P-12C

Have you tried the Acceleration Multiplayer missions?

I was reading on another thread about the possibility of flying some of the multiplayer race courses which are included in the Acceleration installation. I was initially a bit reluctant to try these because I'm on dial up at the moment and I didn't think I'd have the connection speeds needed to make any of them work. But it turns out you don't need to use any kind of connection to fly a practice session. It's so easy to set up, and heck, the one I tried was so much fun!Go to the Multiplayer page, hit the LAN radio button, enter your name and sign in. Host a session, hit the Mission radio button, give your session a name and then select your mission from the list of about 20 missions ranging from beginner to expert.I gave the Hawaiian Hoop Course a try which consists of a large number of hoops to fly through some of which require a vertical ascent which will really tax the anti detonation gear as you apply full power in the Mustang. Since you are hosting your own session just for practice you can take your time getting through the hoops. There are fuel, health and water icons you can fly through which give you more of these precious resources, and which I thought was a bit toungue in cheek on the part of the Aces guys because it is so gamey. Watch the high G turns though because you'll black out and crash. The guys at Aces obviously had a lot of fun designing this mission, and I was having so much fun flying it I had to take a break after the first lap. Wow! It could keep you entertained for hours.Well done Paul and Brandon.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

The Hawaiian Hoop course was my attempt at designing a truly "gamey" race. I was inspired by all of the talk in the community fearing that including races in FSX Acceleration would just turn it into a game. Some thought (and maybe still do think) that all racing is too gamey.I think that those that have flown the races in FSX Acceleration have found that they are quite realistic, especially if they have experienced real aircraft racing at all. So if anyone whats to see a race that is gamey (with power-ups and all), then try out the Hawaiian course. That is if you are up for the challenge.The Secret Island course is a bit gamey as well simply because it takes place in a fictional setting. It's fun though... and an interesting way to check out the island.

I'm actually becoming addicted to flying the race courses because they are so much fun and they really challenge your flying skills. I've lost count of how many times I've flown the Reno race. I practice in Free Flight where I attempt to learn the course without resorting to the aid of those mission pointers. Whenever I've got a spare moment I think about how I could improve my chances against the AI competitors, I think about when I should resort to using the ADI gear and when I should switch it off and conserve it.I really enjoyed the Hawaiian Hoop course because it was something I never expected to see in FS, and the scenery looks so good as the light begins to fade from the late afternoon. I think I could get used to seeing some gamey elements in the sim. I'd like to see the FA-18 fly sorties back and forth from the aircraft carrier, maybe take photos or drop leaflets, or something. I don't think the inclusion of gamey elements detract from the sim in any way. I think it's a positive step forward in the development of a sim which can't remain forever idle. It has to keep on finding something new to do, or people will just get sick of seeing it.I hope you keep looking for the humour in it Paul, it adds another level to the already considerable depth of the sim.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Thanks for the compliments Mike, we really do appreaciate it!I just posted a bit on my blog about the new courses and some of the older courses as well.And don't worry, I won't lose my sense of humor anytime soon... :)