Sign in to follow this  
jdk2

Saving FSX Flight Plans

Guest rudesing

I have recently come back to FS following a PC breakdown and am unable to save any flights or flight plans in FSX. From what I understand, this is because when I set up my new dual hard drive Vista PC, I repointed the Documents path to the second hard drive rather than use the default path. Is there a way I can overcome this to allow me to save FSX Flight plans?

Do you have UAC active in Vista?It's probably a permissions issue in the folder you're trying to save the files to. I use a non-standard directory for the defaults folders as you do. I have UAC turned off because of the constant prompts.You will need to exercise caution if you do turn UAC off as malware can be easily and swiftly installed when you least expect it.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest rudesing

I don't have UAC turned on, although when I installed FSX it was turned on at that time. I'll try uninstalling FSX, and then reinstalling with UAC turned off to see if that works unless anybody has any other suggestions.

If you reinstall, keep the sim out of the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders. Those folders come with additional permissions that make writing to and saving files a challenge, at best.Use something simple like C:FSX. Or better yet, move FSX to its own hard drive away from the OS.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest rudesing

Well I tried fully reinstalling FSX to a separate hard drive, with UAC turned off. I still get exactly the same problem. Flight plans will not save, and I cannot even change the default flight. At a bit of a loss right now.

It's probably a permissions issue when saving to the folder where your FSX files are located. You can try and change them by right-clicking on that folder, then Properties > Security > Edit then click on your user name and under Permissions for users click Allow in the Full control box.I only had the issue you're experiencing when I installed FSX to the Program Files (x86) folder. Since moving it to another hard drive, I no longer see this problem. I also run with UAC disabled.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest rudesing

Thanks again. I'd already gone through the Permissions to check that it was Full Control and still no luck. What's most annoying is that I am perfectly able to copy files into the folder. IT also appears to be saving the last created flight plan in the root directory of FSX but without a name (i.e. just as .PLN)

It sounds like the folder is set to read-only. Where exactly is your Flight Simulator X Files folder located? That's the folder where flight plans are supposed to be saved to. I'm at work, but I never seen any .pln files in the root of FSX.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest rudesing

I have FSX installed under D:FSX. I have created a separate folder at D:FSX FlightPlans to store any flight plans. When I use Flight Planner to create a Flight Plan I attempt to save it in the FSX Flightplans directory but it does not save. If I look into D:FSX however it has generated a .PLN file but with a blank name.I've double checked that UAC is off, and that the folder is fully permissioned (both D:FSX and D:FSX FlightPlans, and I;ve also checked that I am bale to svae other files etc into each location and there is no problem.I have been hunting around on the web for any other solutions or ideas and I have come across a couple of other people that appear to have had the same problem, all of whom are running FSX on Vista so maybe its just some compatability problem which hopefully Microsoft will come up with some fix.

I'm using Vista x64. My flight plans are saved to DocumentsFlight Simulator X Files. Perhaps those fp's are being saved to the same location as it's the default location for saved files.I moved the default Documents location to my E: drive as it's just a storage drive but also contains Favorites, Pictures, Videos and all mail messages. If I need to reinstall the OS, it's a 60 second effort to change the default folders as I outlined.I don't have Flight Planner but my guess would be it probably isn't the culprit here.Regards,Jim Karn

You don't say how you are making the flight plans for FSX. The inbuilt FSX flight planner stores flightplans in "My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files" and I haven't seen an option to change this.Maybe I'm missing something.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest rudesing

I'm using the inbuilt FSX flight planner. It appears to give an option to change where to save the Flight Plans but that certainly does not work. I've searched both hard drives for any PLN files, and apart from the default ones, it has not saved any others. I have the same problem in trying to change the default flight - it will not let me save my new preferred default. I'm suspecting that this is the downside of me having moved the default target path of the My Documents equivalent folder in Vista.

Hmm, I'm using XP and I moved the "My documents" folder using the system to D:My documents it works fine. I just went into FSX and the only save option for flights is the "save" option both in the free flight screen and as a menu item under "File" when flying so there is no option to specify any location. There is however, an option to specify where to save files in the "Settings" screen which is used for saving (and loading)particular config files. Have you tried a search for the "FSXlog.exe" file this is in the same folder as the flightplans?

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

When you attempt to save a flight plan, what happens? Does the file save yet it doesn't appear in the expected folder or does it refuse to allow you to save it?Regards,Jim Karn

Guest rudesing

The file just doesn't save anywhere. I've searched both hard disks for any and all PLN files and it's not anywhere. I'm going to try uninstalling FSX, redirecting my Documents folder back to the default path, and then reinstalling FSX to see what happens. I'll let you know the outcome.