Sign in to follow this  
Guest pwheeler

FSX "Green" water

Attached is a screenshot taken just northeast of KPHI. Note that the water is a mixture of dark blue and green colors. I also note this on other rivers, such as the Hudson around NYC. Can anyone tell me why this mixture of colors is occurring?Thanks.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

Guest JIMJAM

Do you have any other addons?FEX,UTX, ect......BTW- I run UTX,XGraphics and FEX.Each has various water textures to select but you are still going to run across oddities.I swap them in and out but YES I have seen that effect many times.Because of clashes with each other and to keep it simple, I use only UTX's water colors and class.You figure 10 of thousands of miles of inlets and rivers meeting up with oceans.There has got to be some "meeting " of the water classes.Sometimes running water at 2x helps.The 1x settings colors are often brighter and more pronounced.I know some settings produce tropical VERY bright water on inland lakes and some rivers are black.Turn up the water quality to low 2x and the textures mellow out and look more realistic.Each has various water textures to select but you are still going to run across oddities.I know some settings produce tropical VERY bright water on inland lakes and some rivers are black.Turn up the water quality to low 2x and the textures mellow out and look more realistic.There may be a fix but I wrote it off as one of those "fsx limitations" we hear alot about.

this looks to me like cloud reflections at dawn/dusk.But I could be wrong :)

Guest pwheeler

This effect is seen when two different waterclasses are merging together. It does appear very extreme in your picture. I would assume you have a water texture addon. The only way to remove it is to use less dramatic water textures (i.e. make the brown more blue or the blue more brown) or use an addon that changes waterclass. If, for example, you get an area of deep tropical water next to an inland brown water area you will see an effect like this.There seems to be some confusion as to what addon does what.Firstly UTX:UTX does NOT modify any water textures. It has its own waterclass (similar to landclass) mainly to remove tropical waters from where there should be none. This is only in the local region of UTX and doesn't extend far from the coastline. It does feature a water tint selector. This makes FSX use different texture sets. For example picking a brown tint makes all the inland water use only brown textures. It does not change the textures themselves. This makes FSX use a smaller range of textures to display the water (only the brown ones). I suggest if you are using a water texture addon (Like FEX) aswell to keep the tint set to the standard blue water so you get the full range of water textures (you can make them more brown by changing the textures themselves in the texture addon).FTX also has its own custom waterclass. Again its just for the local region and doesn't extend far from the coastline.FEX, REX and Xgraphics replace the default water textures and water animations with their own. They much improve the water appearance and there are lots of texture options depending on personal taste. They do not change the waterclass so will not fix any areas of tropical water where there should be none.Unfortunately FSX has a relatively small selection of waterclasses to choose from so there will inevitably be places where it doesn't look quite right. However, if you look at satelite images you can see areas where inland rivers are flowing out into the sea and it does look quite dramatic.Paul

Guest tcable

That's cloud refelctions.turn down your water slider to make it go away- and boost framerates (generally)

Guest JIMJAM

It is confusing also with clouds.As long as my inland water is not tropical as in Bahamas and my lakes,rivers are not that fake looking blue, I am happy.But when I get around a coastal area,say Charleston where there is alot of marsh,inland rivers and built up areas, I expect to see the occassional water color clash.

Guest pwheeler

There will always be problems. At least with the texture addons we can go some way towards improving the situation.I don't think what we are seeing in the screenshot are cloud reflections.It definately looks like two waterclasses merging together to me.Apparently Holger is looking at improving the water blending masks (what controls the blending appearance) so that they look a bit more natural.Paul

Guest JIMJAM

Well then again it is the Hudson around NYC!Greenish,yellow water with nice brown foam on top is common along with the 3 eyed fish.

That is two waterclass regions merging.It is NOT cloud shadows or anything like that.You can adjust waterclass using a utility like EZ-Landclass, to where you could make the river all green/brown if you wanted to. Add-ons like FEX can also adjust the coloration somewhat.The default waterclass is not perfect as you have discovered, but then again Microsoft had to cover the whole world, so it's amazing in that sense, that it is even remotely accurate.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will just have to live with it for the time being.I am not using any kind of water add-on. The only scenery, etc., add-on I have installed is FSGenesis terrain.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

Guest pwheeler

I do have one other option for you.Without trying to sound like I'm advertising...Our FS Water Configurator, which is very close to release, will be able to tone things down a bit. We have a slider for 'texture colour intensity'. In effect you can tone down the saturation of the base textures which will lessen this effect.check www.fswaterconfigurator.comOh by the way... Its FREE!!!Paul