Sign in to follow this  
Mace

"AFCAD" re-naming question

Hi All, I put all my "afcad" files in my add-onscenery/scenery folder. Different authors use different naming methods. I would like to re-name them to their four letter ICAO code. Can I just re-name them as I install them before loading flightsim?. I can't imagine it would be a problem but I sure hate to assume! Can someone enlighten me?Thanks in advance for your help,KailFlightSimmer since 1987C2D E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSBXFX Nforce 680i LT SLI2x XFX 8800GT 512MB SLI'd4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800MHzCreative SB Audigy2 ZSUltra Xfinity 600W SLI PSUSeagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA-3GB/S HDWindows XP SP2 / FSX SP2 / FS9 SP1

Thanks for listening,

Kail

KailAs far as I know, You can call them whatever you want. As long as no two are the same name.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Kail,I've always renamed afcad files based on the source/author and it's never been a problem so far as I know.When testing a work-in-progress, I usually add a 'version letter' and my initials (AFD_KGUCa_LL) to the changed file name to keep it all organized...Loyd

I've been renaming them with ICAO_xxxx.bgl since Lee's first release of AFCAD2 in Oct 2003 for FS2004. And since early in FSX when we got the first SDK and were able to modify .XML files for changesThere is nothing unique about those files - they are just scenery files.The only time you have to worry about file names is when another file might call that one - such as textures for an aircraft.Now it is possible to put the airfield data in a file with a lot of other scenery and data - making it hard to edit, change - maybe even impossible.But renaming the file should never be an issue. Of course - always keep a backup or a reference if something unforseen comes up.'It's not really in issue with naming - but it's is a file maintenance and record keeping issue. I vastly prefer having the designator at the front of the file name so the director sorts that way.

>I've been renaming them with ICAO_xxxx.bgl since Lee'sI vastly prefer having>the designator at the front of the file name so the director>sorts that way.>Agree 100%. It's the only way to "keep track" of them and avoid conflicting duplicates for the same airport. Place the ICAO identifier at the start of the new file name. Then your file list will be sorted alphabetically, and any airport duplicates can easily be found. This is particularly useful because some developers are including TWO .bgl files in the AFCAD downloads for the same airport. One may be named "AFD_ICAO_xxxxxxx.bgl" and the other one "ICAO_whatever.bgl". If you don't rename them and put the ICAO at the FRONT of EACH file, they are separated in your file list and a pain to try and find (and relate to each other). Another suggestion: Get them out of the default "Addon Scenery/Scenery" folder. Create a separate folder anywhere else outside of the main FSX folder. Call it something like "Third Party AFCADs" (or whatever you want) and create a subfolder under it called "Scenery". Place them all there. Then use the FSX Scenery Library to add the folder to the library, and place it BELOW the default Addon Scenery folder in the Scenery Library. If you ever have to reinstall FSX, it's a simple matter then to just re-add the entire folder and all those AFCADs back to the new FSX Scenery Library installation. Will save you tons of time.

Rick Ryan

Many new design tools for FSX - like ADE can create ground polygons. Those must be in a separate file. In addition to changing the airport background or landclass or terrain, those polygons also are required to exclude default objects and autogen.Many people are naming them different.Personally I prefer:TRPG_ADE_v5_RJF.bglTRPG_CVX_v5_RJF.bglThe first one holds airport data and can hold many other things like scenery objects, etc.The second one holds the ground polygons.You will also see two other types of files which must be in specific folders to work correctly.CYQQ_ILS_Fix_XML_JV.bglThis is a change to the approach data for an airport and must be in the SceneryGlobalScenery folder.NZMF_ALT_RJF.bglThis is a file to change the airport elevation and must be in the SceneryWorldScenery folder to work correctly.And if anyone asks - TRPG is about ready for release - fixing NZMF is still a long way to go with all the bad water polygons.

Excellent help as always gentlemen.Yeah, it's a lot easier to tell if you have an update to a particular airport if you can just scan through the codes in alphabetical order.I also have AFX and am getting Instant Scenery this weekend. I want to start updating the airports in my area of Southwest Florida. So, I really appreciate all the additional info. As soon as I build one spare computer and then add a hard drive to my FS computer, reformat and re-install I'll finally be able to get started on those airports. Which I'm sure will bring up further questions ;)Thanks Again,KailFlightSimmer since 1987C2D E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSBXFX Nforce 680i LT SLI2x XFX 8800GT 512MB SLI'd4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800MHzCreative SB Audigy2 ZSUltra Xfinity 600W SLI PSUSeagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA-3GB/S HDWindows XP SP2 / FSX SP2 / FS9 SP1

Thanks for listening,

Kail

Reggie,Absolutely! With the advent of the new "afcad" designer programs, a developer can create different .bgl files that need to go into other than the default Addon SceneryScenery folder.But to expand on my recommendation above, if a user understands that the FSX Scenery Library can handle ANY "scenery" file (a .bgl file), then they can use the Scenery Library much more effectively and save themselves lots of time if a reinstall of FSX is necessary. For instance, for your above 4 files that would normally be installed in 3 separate FSX locations (the Addon SceneryScenery, SceneryGlobalScenery, and SceneryWorldScenery folders), this is what I do:1. Create a separate folder outside FSX. Call it whatever you want, just include a "Scenery" subfolder under it. I call mine "Ricks Addon Scenery Folder". Any "afcad" type files that would normally be placed in the FSX Addon SceneryScenery folder go in the "Scenery" subfolder, AFTER renaming them by adding the ICAO code to the front of the file name (makes finding related files or duplicate ICAO files easier in a file list).2. Do the same for the above other 2 folders you mentioned. Mine are called "Ricks Scenery_Global_Scenery" and "Ricks Scenery_World_Scenery". Put any files required to go in the same default FSX folders in these folders (the last "scenery" subfolder).3. Now you can add these 3 folders to the FSX Scenery Library. Layer them in a way that makes sense to "play nice" with any/all your other scenery.The beauty of doing it this way is two-fold:1. If you have to uninstall/reinstall FSX, everything can be added back to the new reinstall by just adding and activating the 3 folders above again in the new FSX install.2. You can get creative and activate/deactivate different addons without having to uninstall the scenery from any FSX folders. Just "uncheck" the folder in the FSX Scenery Library. This comes in real handy if you want to install a new addon scenery and see what it does, looks like, etc, without having to wory about uninstalling any other scenery that may conflict with it.There are numerous ways to manipulate the above types of scenery installations. The above is just one example. You can get as creative as you want, and at all times keep your primary FSX directory relatively "clean" of third-party scenery addons. For "new users", if you download a scenery addon that includes both "scenery" (.bgl) and "texture" files, instead of adding that folder configuration to the default FSX Addon Scenery folder, just create the same folder structure outside of FSX, then add it to the scenery library. This is also a great way to prevent conflicting AFCAD-type files from interfering with each other. If the addon contains it's OWN afcad with the scenery, then prioritizing the folder HIGHER than any other afcads will make FSX use the included afcad for that particular scenery addon (like a complete package that includes numerous airports with their own afcads...Victoria+, Utah Complete, Caribbean Seaplanes Tour, etc). FalconAF

Rick Ryan

I do ICAO_xxxxx.bgl. That way I keep things organized.I also do E:SCENERYAFCAD and place those files there. The reason is twofold: Organization, and also performance. Yes, perforamance. I am keeping my SCENERY outside of the FSX directory structure. Less digging for the file system to do.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB