Sign in to follow this  
Guest NoobPilot

No more blurries - thanks Nick!

Guest papatango

FSX was a blurry mess for me yesterday. Even when I was directly over the land, certain parts were still blurry. Even if all sliders were to the left, this happened. I have a very good system so I know this should not happen.So I found the posts by Nick_N regarding how to configure XP and FSX. After following all of his recommendations to the letter, now all of the textures are sharp and clear.The main changes were:1) Removed RAID 0 since it was onboard and the striping was only 64K2) Installed XP x32 from scratch and configured it based on Nick's advice3) Installed FSX from scratch on a 2nd drive so only FSX lives on it and configured it based on Nick's advice4) Downloaded OO Defrag and defragged both drives based on Nick's advice 5) Downloaded nHancer and configured it based on Nick's adviceIt took the entire day, especially with the multiple defrags, but now everything looks great.Thanks so much Nick for the amount of time that I am sure it took to test and put together your detailed instructions.Scott

Guest Nick_N

Good things come to those who wait... and do it right the first timeGlad you are having fun now.. !

Guest Nick_N

OpppsssAlmost forgotFor FSX on RAID0... I dont know how long the images will remain on the AVSIM system in this post, but check out what happens at 64 and 128K STRIPE in RAID0 for FSXhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=39812&page=2There is a method to my madness.. yuk yuk yukEven the motherboard RAID systems that allow 256K are eating more CPU that its worth. Those numbers were pulled from a PCIe RAID card on 2 small 75GB Raptor drives so if I increased the the drive platter size to 150 or larger, or even add a 3rd or 4th drive... the true speed of the storage system increases without costing the CPU a single cycleYou are better off on a 2 drive setup.. or even a single drive than motherboard RAID solutions with FSX, far better

Guest ugotkevin

I've got a question for you Nick. When I first installed FSX I was getting an average of 20fps with a Q6600@3.0GHz, 4GB Ram, Vistax86, 8800GT 512, 1280x1064(something like that) on global ultra high w/nHancer. After using Vista for a while I'm now getting around half that so I'm not running on high (I'm not complaining). I at first thought it was a problem with some add-ons, but after doing a fresh re-install I was still getting the same fps, so I imagine it's a windows thing. Any ideas on this? Are there any updates that causes this, or why such a drastic change?

Guest NoobPilot

I'm not Nick, and I'm not quite as genius as he is, but have you been defragging/registry cleaning/making sure every unnecessary process is shut down?

Guest Nick_N

What do you mean.. "Global Ultra High"?You mean FSX main sliders? Or Nhancer?I dont use Vista for FSX so I can not comment on updates or changesMake sure you have the most recent version of Nhancer Set up FSX like this... (follow to the end)http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...=1212634135/0#0Vgbaron was running lower sliders and his frames went up after setting up right and increasing scenery... however he does have a 640MB GTS card which is 384bit tootry that and see if it helps and put Nhancer settings back how I postedyou may need to change drivers.. as I said, I do not use Vista so I cant really give you a heads up on drivers. I use the 174.74 beta's for XP x64

Guest Nick_N

The only one who thinks I am a genius is my dog because I make food appear for him out of no-where everyday of the weekseriously, I am not a genius. Einstein was a genius, Im'a JAFO

Guest ugotkevin

Thanks for the replies. Global ultra high meaning you just move the general slider in the main settings section before starting a flight. Like moving scenery or weather all the way to the right. nHancer settings are as you have described them. Drivers are WHQL 175.16.I went ahead and made a new partition just for fsx and will put my other stuff (programs) on my other partition (dual boot). I know you don't have vista, but are you aware of any updates that I shouldn't install?

Guest NoobPilot

Heh. Ok, then, at least admit you know more about stuff than I do :DHey Nick, I've been following all of your tips and tweaks, nHancer, all sort of windows edits. I'm running FSX at almost all lowest settings, GEX, default trike, default friday harbour, no weather. From the VC, I get about 8 FPS. Is there any help for my system or is that all I can expect? Do I need a new processor/GPU?