Sign in to follow this  
Guest grapesh

Are Bombs & Guns OK in FSX?

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Hi Ulf,Agreed.But I'm curious why somebody from the US would put the word free in quotes. That implies that he thinks we're not actually free.I'm eagerly awaiting a rant about Bush, the GWOT, Gitmo, and whatever other off-topic argument he comes up with.

Isn't this all a moot point as FSX as it stands now already has this capability via 3rd parties? There are some weapon effect files simulating bombs and missiles in the library as well as payware combat missions from Abacus. I don't think you will see anything like this coming from Aces/MS though. Also I would be opposed to any additional coding for these things unless there was no chance it could negatively affect the base sim. That includes any performance loss due to the extra layer of software.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest BlueRidgeDx

For the most part, yes, it is moot.Except that there are still people who are not satisfied with the current compromise. They advocate making use of weapons impossible in the simulator, and I disagree. Current functionality should not be removed just because some squeeky wheels complain about pseudo-moral issues.And like I said 50 or so posts ago, I agree with 99.999% certainty that ACES would never compromise the ESRB rating of FS just to humor folks like me. The only plausible way we'll see "officially" supported combat is if/when CFS makes it's return.

>I know fully what is involved in simulating weapons, weapon>delivery, bomb ballistics, weapon effects, and guidance. I'm>involved in that very process for new combat simulator.>Now it all makes sense as to why you are so argumentive about this topic. I bet you will have great customer support for your product! I think they should add Hot Air Balloons to the sim, there is enough hot air in this thread to fill them up for sure or maybe even UFO's:-spacecraft

Jim Wenham

Guest BlueRidgeDx

I'm argumentative because I'm tired of tree-huggers trying to make feel feel bad for wanting to drop bombs in a game.Its not good enough for you people that you already have the choice no to partake. You feel the need to go the extra mile and take the choice away from me, and thats why I'm arguing.

Guest BlueRidgeDx

>the choice placed before the consumer is there to accept or refuse>based on their desire to replicate their area of interest, morality>isn't part of the decision process.Agreed. Thats what I've been saying all along.

The MSFS franchise is a civilian aviation simulator and it should stay that way. The Combat Flight Simulator is, well, a combat flight simulator. Two different things.I don't mind flying an F-18 or other military planes or helicopters, but when it comes to dropping bombs or weapons then that's a tad silly and way to arcade-style gaming for me.There is plenty other software out there that fills the void.Pat

Guest grapesh

>>In every situation, there's always someone who uses our>>freedoms irresponsibly, so there should be a prevention>>mechanism. >>Wow. YGBSM!I have no idea what you just said.>>You'd like to curtail my freedom in the name of preserving my>freedom?What are you talking about? Should I be mad that I'm not allowed to fly under the Longfellow bridge or buzz my friend who lives in downtown? It sure curtails my freedom 'cause I want to do it and I'm a good pilot! But aviation in the whole, and flight simulation in particular, is not just about you - it is you, me, and thousands of others. Your sentence is immature in the context of this post, because it lacks responsibility for your fellow pilots and simmers. Please don't mix freedom and irresponsibility, I think you are educated enough on the issue.

I'm sure Lomac or Falcon 4 fans would debate the 'arcade' comment, both sims are pretty realistic and incredibly difficult to master, but that's been argued to death before.Regardless, this thread has gone from interesting to just plain funny. If you look at it from the standpoint of the ultimate end result then it seems to me everyone is debating whether or not people should have the ability to turn pixels on their screens from green to yellow and red with a click of their joystick's trigger in FS. Oh the horror! ;)When you have time to debate such things I guess life is good!-mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest Nick_N

There you goLets get rid of all the violence at soccer matches that really gets people hurt or worseNow you can go home and install the new MSFS addon NUKE

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Right. We're talking about a simulator. Simulators are the place for antics such as flying under bridges, buzzing downtown, or even dropping bombs on buildings.You appear to be making the argument that there should be a "prevention mechanism" to stop me from dropping simulated bombs on simulated buildings in the privacy of my own home. Hence my comment regarding your apparent desire to impose your will on others and curtail their freedom.Try Googling "YGBSM".

...so reading between the lines Nick, is there a "NUKE'EM!" addon coming out from you soon?? LOLFunny, I remember an atom bomb addon for CFS2 that was so intense when it went off it froze my PC, LOLRegards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest cbuchner1

My opinion is that the Microsoft Flight simulator should get an API (as part of the SDK) to attach secondary objects to the aircraft and to detach them for example based on user input or other triggers. Then the behavior of thes objects should be governed by dynamics that is either specified by an external DLL or provided by the simulator. Support for air, ground and scenery collision should be provided by the sim.So what can we use this API for?- weapons, apparently. All kinds (missiles, bombs, bullets, you name it)But the more interesting uses are- Chaff, flares, other particles emitted from the craft (fuel dump)- External fuel tank drops from warbirds, realistic tumbling of the tanks in the air during fall- Dropping of payload (e.g. on parachutes). Hot drops of pallets from a C130 Hercules, anyone?- Simulation of X-15 drops from a B52. Watch the X15 zoom away (the user would keep flying the B52)- losing engines due to air frame damage (ouch!) and other kinds of aircraft disintegration due to overstress- dropping launch assists (there have been gliders that use a detacheable gear during the launch phase, which is subsequently jettisoned after or during liftoff).- staging of launch vehicles (space shuttle boosters, external tank etc)There are more uses for such an SDK which I cannot even imagine yet. Most of these NOT war related, but it would certainly be enabling weapon simulations as well. That's how I imagine how an open platform should work (ESP may be open like that, but the product is not targeted at you and me)So you may want to forward this idea to tell-fs@microsoft.com ;-)Christian