Sign in to follow this  
Guest grapesh

Are Bombs & Guns OK in FSX?

Guest cbuchner1

> This topic is one that has had some feedback from Aces and for that > matter simmers who are military buffs , Aces will not be adding > droppable payloadsCan you offer some references to back up this statement? Christian

Guest grapesh

>>Try Googling "YGBSM".Try googling "stop the noise", and you'll see how many morons, powerful attorneys part of them, are out there to curtail your freedom of flying. All they need is enough "material" to leverage public opinion. Little Johnny firing sidewinders at a jumbo jet screenshot is just another such "material"...=S.V.=CPU: Intel Core2Duo E4500 2x2.2Ghz, 1GbGPU: nVidia Quadro FX 3400 256 MbOS: WinXP(SP2) FS: FSX(SP2) MP: http://www.FSEconomy.com

Guest jshyluk

Wow, lots of reading, many great responses!I can address some of this. At one point it was asked if we (or I) understood the question. Despite having asked the question, and knowing that it's been asked before, I can say that no, I really don't fully understand the question or the answers. The reason I wanted to ask the question was to involve people in an international discussion regarding the merits of the answer.I have thought about this question a lot, and many of the "dove" and "hawk" and even "miscellaneous other" answers have come to my mind as I was working on the RAZBAM Intruder review. What I cannot do, though, is arrive at a value judgement for these answers that I like. Are the "dove" answers more valuable than the "hawk" answers? Yes. No. Maybe. Greenish-yellow three. I don't see an answer for that, either.As for S-E-X in FSX, that's kind of a new twist. Every once in a while, a developer gets it in their head to include what they would consider a sexy model in the cabin. Sometimes, the model is quite attractive, a few times, the model looks like a freak show. I've always found it interesting that talented modellers can re-create an aircraft down to the last rivet, but then completely botch decent human proportions. So, like guns, if someone was to make an add-on for FSX that was genuinely sexy, dare I say even erotic, well, that would be pretty interesting! Show me the nudie beach, and I will write a review for it, although my Editor might not let me post it! However, sexy models, like guns, will not make it into default FSX because of the way ACES distributes the product. We won't see a working minigun and we won't have Emma Peel the Lingerie Co-Pilot because the market for FSX is very, very general and very, very broad. Again, I don't see right or wrong answers to my original question. But on the other hand, I also don't see consensus as to the value regarding the answers, which maybe doesn't help. We don't have to all agree, though. Things are how they are. FSX does not directly support weapons. Developers like RAZBAM do. If you want an aircraft that drops iron bombs, you'd have a hard time finding one better than the RAZBAM Intruder. Nobody is forcing anyone to get this product, though. Mostly, I just found it unsettling to drop live bombs in FSX. I still don't know why I feel that way, except now some of your answers illuminate why I felt that way, so that's good. Again, I don't want anyone to judge anyone else here on their values. People who want to drop simulated bombs are in no way superior to those who don't, and vice versa. What I do feel is important is that if you want to drop bombs, or if you do not want to, that you think this topic through. And, yes, it looks like we have thought this through. That, I think, is a foundation to "freedom" that we are talking about. People who are not free don't get the opportunity to think things through for themselves, nor do they get to act on free thoughts. FSX is a flight sim with almost limitless freedom. I think it's really something special that so many posts in this thread show just how much potential the flight sim has.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest Nick_N

Freedom is the key word JeffFreedom to choose what you want to do with your purchase as long as it falls under the EULAFreedom to design what you want to designFreedom to enjoy what ever it is one enjoys with the productThe EULA does not state anywhere the sim can not have addons running in it. Although I do think Aces distanced themselves from the weapons and military attack ops aspects they also provided bases and war ship landing/takeoff. I think their move was based more on... "here you go.. you have the freedom to take it from here" more than anything else.Freedom is the key word

Guest thx1137

I don't mind if FS starts simulating weapons (after all, I don't have to use em) however the core focus should remain the civilian aviation crowd. FSX introduced the ability to 'drop' something, the next version could take that further but I do not want progress civilian aspects slowed much.I would take extensive failure modeling, realism in abnormal flight modes, better ATC and AI first.Having said that, I did love longbow 2 and falcon 4 so if we can have my shopping list AND have some military capability in FS11 I certainly wont complain :-)Steven.

I think weapons etc should be at least modeled in FSX. The Acceleration F18 is a great acft, I just wish we could get a lock and Fox 3 a few guys hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>...>Disclaimer: I am admittedly am biased, as a Captain in the US>Army and a veteran of both Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom. >There are a heck of a lot of people fighting and dying so that>YOU can freely choose. I feel that most people demand peace>and the freedom to hug trees while singing kum-bye-yah....>just as long as someone ELSE fights for it. >>Regards,>>Mike T.>>I thank you for your service to our country and in trying to obtain freedom for other parts of the world.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Jeff, with the level of anger shown by fsx detractors, do you think its really wise to add guns and bombs....might escalate from negative tones to actual violence?Bob

>Jeff, with the level of anger shown by fsx detractors, do you>think its really wise to add guns and bombs....might escalate>from negative tones to actual violence?>>BobNow that's the scary part to me, from seeing the "variety" of responses in this thread. Some folks are taking this stuff WAY to seriously.It's a computer simulation. It isn't real world. If you want to drop bombs in it, your choice. If you don't...your choice. Simple as that. YOUR CHOICE. Why some people can't seem "to live with" other people's choices is still beyond me. As long as nobody is breaking any laws, or abridging the "freedoms" and "rights" of others, let it go, for crying out loud.And yes...I'm one of those folks who spent 25 years in the U.S Military. Please don't tell me I was a VICTIM of that, or that any of my fellow comrades in arms are "victims" in any war, police action, or whatever you want to call it. We all CHOSE to do what we did...every 4 - 6 years. It was called "re-enlistment", and we could have said "No thanks...no more for me" at the end of each enlistment contract. Nobody in the U.S. military has been drafted ("forced to serve") in almost 30 years.Bombs and guns in FSX? I could care less. If you want to use 'em, go ahead. If not...don't. That's the "freedom" of choice you have. It's also your "right", as it is not against any law to do so.What IS against the law is to excercise your "freedoms" and "rights" in a manner that restrict OTHER people's freedoms and rights. So the first screwballs I would bomb in FSX are the people who might start taking that "actual violence" route mentioned in the previous post. They would deserve it.FalconAFPS - I'm gonna go get another alcoholic beverage to drink with my next FSX session. Try doing THAT in the "real world" of flying. :-lol :-lol

Rick Ryan

lolYou didn't get the humor? Imagining the guns and bombs in fsx could have any impact on the confrontive nature of the community here made me laugh.hmmmm

Bob,Yeah, I got the humor in it. But in the 98 posts in this thread already, there are also several that border on the "hostile", too. Some folks just gotta "slam" and "flame" others, just because they have a difference of opinion. That's sad.

Rick Ryan

Guest grapesh

Geof, I bet if at least 20% of the motorists were as judicious as a majority of pilots, I could get home in 10 minutes instead of 1+ hour. In some countries, driving schools have classes almost semester-long! That's education that is as serious as the PPL training! It may seem excessive, but it really gets the most important things about driving down to anyone's level, even to the most primitive minds :) Unfortunately, where good drive-ed saves lives, bad roads take toll.Cheers,=S.V.=CPU: Intel Core2Duo E4500 2x2.2Ghz, 1GbGPU: nVidia Quadro FX 3400 256 MbOS: WinXP(SP2) FS: FSX(SP2) MP: http://www.FSEconomy.com