Sign in to follow this  
Guest ftrusky

Why oh why??

Guest JimC1702

Read the notice on the front page about the MAAM Avenger. Looked at the screenies, read the description. Headed to the MAAM store with credit card in hand. But wait, what's this? For FS9 only? OH NO!Couldn't find word if there would be an FSX version. I don't want to start another developer's war, but we're almost two years into FSX, isn't it time to move on?JImWe're two years into FSX folks, time to Dell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

>Read the notice on the front page about the MAAM Avenger. >Looked at the screenies, read the description. Headed to the>MAAM store with credit card in hand. But wait, what's this? >For FS9 only? OH NO!>>Couldn't find word if there would be an FSX version. I don't>want to start another developer's war, but we're almost two>years into FSX, isn't it time to move on?>No, it's not time to fully move on... IMOFSX just isn't the perfect solution in regards to performance . It can get bogged down fps wise, much easier than FS9. Personally, I prefer the added detail in regards to looks, that I get with FSX aircraft; and in some cases I think they "fly" better too! But I don't blame developers for sticking with a version that works well in more conditions.L.Adamson FS9/FSX

FWIW, I'm done with FS9. I will not be buying any products that don't work with FS-X. I am contemplating uninstalling FS9, but haven't actually pulled the trigger yet since I have a depressingly large amount of $ invested in FS9 add-ons.But - no more $ will go down that hole.This is just a data point for the aftermarket developers, from a fairly regular consumer of such products. If others wish to continue to fly FS9 that's fine by me! I'm not going to try to talk you out of that 8^).Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

I have to agree Jim! I remember watching the early development shots and now that I am back with FS, went looking for some new info on it and saw that it was FS9 only, which I uninstalled when I got FSX. Guess I'll have to keep waiting and hope there is an FSX version.I'm with Dave, only spending funds on "true" FSX SP2 products and supporting vendors that are embracing FSX only with their development time.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

FSX doesn't even have a "majority" of the MSFS market yet. Developers are shooting themselves in the foot if they discard FS9. The key is dual development... both FS9 and FSX.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>>Couldn't find word if there would be an FSX version. I don't>>want to start another developer's war, but we're almost two>>years into FSX, isn't it time to move on?>>>>No, it's not time to fully move on... IMO>>FSX just isn't the perfect solution in regards to performance>. It can get bogged down fps wise, much easier than FS9.>Personally, I prefer the added detail in regards to looks,>that I get with FSX aircraft; and in some cases I think they>"fly" better too! But I don't blame developers for sticking>with a version that works well in more conditions.I don't believe that is the reason they made the FS9 one first... Maam-Sim is an organization based on volunteers. I'd venture to guess that they made the FS9 one first because it was simpler to make(and faster), then they will make the necessary changes later on to make it full FSX SP2 compatible. Just give them some time and it should be out. It was promised quite a while ago that there would be a FSX version too. I've posted in their support forum asking for an update on the FSX situation.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest ziporama

Porting FS9 products to FSX is no simple affair. Gauge programming is much enhanced under FSX with SimConnect but requires essentially a rewrite. Models, not geometry but features like animations, new materials and skinning must be recreated from scratch or you get into serious video rendering problems.All in all, it's a new cycle of development with a fairly steep learning curve even if you've mastered FS9 coding.I find in many ways it's much simpler to be a dev in FSX than in FS9, thanks to better tools and a new fantastic level of interaction with the simulator's core. Yet, I'm still working on my gauges after 18 months, granted, with enhancements, but the culprit in my case is the need to write from scratch a completely new framework for later reuse and figure out why the old hacks no longer work, requiring new hacks.It takes an incredible of time even when doing this fulltime, but reduce this to a few hours a week at best and see the timeline expand. With my luck, FSXI will be out by the time I'm ready and it'll be back to the drawing board :)Etienne

FSX !!! You look forward and hope for the best !! Frame rate got you down - get a faster computer!! What? Hey - you don't think they will down size or slow down. Every day is a change, wether we like it or not. Before you know it - maybe FSX will be dumped for FS? !!You never know...

Devs will do what they want. I personally will not buy any more FS9 addons either. However I still use FS9 for testing and flying some of the non upgraded FSX acft, such as the DF Baron, A36, Aeroworx BE20, etc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

.. and I deleted FS9 four months ago, having not used it for a year. Everything is archived to DVD now, along with documentation and licensing. It will probably see the inside of a green garbage bag sometime next year, and so I guess I'm one of the guys who will just sit and wait for the TBM for FSX: same with the DreamFleet 727 and FSPassengers... In retrospect - also the FlyTampa FSX versions of Seattle, San Diego and San Francisco. They were the best: they're all gone and no-one is replacing - or can replace - them. FSX is SO much better in so many ways, but I sure miss a goodly number of those quality FS9 addons. :(pjASUS P5B; C2D E6600 oc @3.346gig; nVidia 8900GTX; 2gig OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum; TripleHead2Go 3x19" VA926; Homebuilt yoke and pedals, throttle quadrant and 6-pack thrust levers + TRackIR4, VoxATC - no blurries and good for another year. . . :+

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest firehawk44

I think anyone buying an addon for FS9 or earlier versions of MSFS are making a big mistake but they are certainly free to do so. They can continue to use FS9 forever and have great FPS and scenery. I was at the local Staples store last week and saw FS2002 for sale on their shelves. I wondered then how many people would buy an old piece of technology and try to run it in their new modern computers. RE MAAM: I thought I read somewhere that MAAM aircraft could be ported over into FSX; however, they would not be compatible with SP2/DX10 in any case so I wouldn't recommend buying old technology thinking you can someday use it in new technology like FSX.Best regards,Jim

IF its the FS2002 Professional edition. It has value for FSX. It comes with an SDK that could be used for FSX Ground Poly.Recently I searched my attic and found my old FS2002 just for that purpose.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>Porting FS9 products to FSX is no simple affair. Gauge>programming is much enhanced under FSX with SimConnect but>requires essentially a rewrite. Models, not geometry but>features like animations, new materials and skinning must be>recreated from scratch or you get into serious video rendering>problems.>>It takes an incredible of time even when doing this fulltime,>but reduce this to a few hours a week at best and see the>timeline expand. With my luck, FSXI will be out by the time>I'm ready and it'll be back to the drawing board :)If you know who's on the Maam-Sim team, you'd know that people from various payware companies are on it. Their companies produce FSX planes, so why can't the Avenger be FSX'd. That doesn't make too much sense that there isn't one in the works. There IS a demand for the FSX version. They have the resources to do it. So why not do it? It shouldn't take weeks either... I know some modelers who can do it in days if not hours. There's simply no reason to say it would take weeks when there are knowledgeable people who can do it in hours. If I were Maam, I'd get on this soon because people are starting to moan about it. ESPECIALLY because there is such an easy solution(and it makes them money too!).

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Why? It's really quite simple. Due to FSX's hardware appetite and other unresolved issues that people have with this version, there are many that still run FS9 as their primary sim, hence there is still a strong market for FS9 addons. I am one of those not ready to move on and therefore welcome the continued stream of FS9 addons.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>Why? It's really quite simple. Due to FSX's hardware>appetite and other unresolved issues that people have with>this version, there are many that still run FS9 as their>primary sim, hence there is still a strong market for FS9>addons. I am one of those not ready to move on and therefore>welcome the continued stream of FS9 addons.People continue to think this is the reason, but it ISN'T. Read what a couple others and myself posted above. There is also a strong market for FSX addons(THATS WHY OTHER DEVELOPERS ARE MAKING THEM!!!). Please read what other people have posted before posting! Don't turn this into a "Why FS9 is better than FSX thread".

spacer.png