Sign in to follow this  
greeneg

Bristol Beaufighter Wow!

Guest Rockcliffe

Thank you Dave Garwood for the outstanding Bristol Beaufighter. What a fabulous piece of freeware -- fun to fly, amazing to look at, and a rare and unusual aircraft for flightsim.One of the few surviving examples is here in Ottawa at the Canada Aviation Museum so I've always been intrigued by this bird.(beaufsx.zip in the library)You've made my day.BlairCYOW

Guest -BeNt-

It indeed is a fun plane to fly. I had a friend of mine turn me onto this plane about two days ago or so, and surprisingly it handles well and is decently fast for a prop plane. And due to the same guy that turned me on to this plane it has an amazing history behind it, so read up especially you guys who like to 'know' about your planes before you fly them.

Guest Gunner_CAF

Wow, Incredible! Nice work!!This makes me feel like making a Mission for this beauty. I guess I will need to read up on some history. I don't know a lot about the Bristol.Gunner

Guest Rockcliffe

>Wow, Incredible! Nice work!!>>This makes me feel like making a Mission for this beauty. I>guess I will need to read up on some history. I don't know a>lot about the Bristol.>>GunnerI'd take some of that!:-jumpy

Guest -BeNt-

Read up on the history of some of the famous fighter jocks that flew that plane. In particular one from Britain named Douglas Bader, a friend of mine pointed him out to me and he was an amazing man. Some of the things he did where absolutely crazy, amazing, daring, and down right stupid he was an old #### with daring like no other. Read up he is what you imagine when you see 'ACE' on the screen.

Sorry, Bader flew Hurricanes during the Second War until he was shot down and captured by the Germans.The most famous Beaufighter pilot that I can think of was John "Cat's Eyes" Cunningham, a renowned night fighter pilot who I believe won the VC during the War. He was later Chief Test Pilot for DeHavilland's.Ed GreenKCLT

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_images/fdc_beta.jpg

Guest -BeNt-

With what I was referring was,"In March 1941, Bader, now a wing commander, left 242 Squadron and took over the "Tangmere Wing." Consisting of three Spitfire Squadrons - 145, 610 and 616 - plus a Beaufighter squadron, the wing began a series of air attacks against targets in northern France and the Low Countries."Anywho......

Quite true, Bader was the Commander of the Tangmere Wing, but he was not known for being a Beaufighter Pilot, but for his exploits with the Hurricane and his leadership. Bader had lost both his legs in a crash early in his career and his autobiography, " Reach for the Sky" is still a wonderful read.Ed GreenKCLT

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_images/fdc_beta.jpg

Totally agree !This is one very nicely made aircraft and has the sounds to match !Lovely VC for those who would like one more twin in their hangar..Once you move the throttle all the way forward, you'll be hooked :-)

Bert

Guest paulstalled

I agree.It's a plane I just jump in and have a ball!Paul

I did a search for that and got nothing!Can you guys post a 'url' please?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Thanks Bert ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Autolite

This looks like an excellent aircraft but I haven't been able to get the aircraft to load properly on my FSX. I am running FSX SP1 on Windows XP home. I've downloaded the Beaufighter file three times, once from this site and twice from another, but with the same results each time. When ever I select the Beaufighter from the FSX 'Aircraft Selection Panel, all that appears is a partially formed 'skeletonized' model. I've tried several uninstalls/re-installs but with no luck.I would like to ask if anyone else has ever seen this before or knows of a fix? This is the first and only aircraft on my FSX that I have ever seen do this. Thanks...pintoguy@telus.net