Sign in to follow this  
Palebushman

Have you ever noticed.........

Guest JIMJAM

You stay up late at night tweeking,fiddling,changing this,moving that and BINGO!You hit the magic, almost impossible combination of settings and have a PERFECT picture.No blurs,good performance no stutters ect.You give a victory "YES,Finally the Holy Grail of setups."You carefully make sure mot to touch anything and swear that you will NEVER change any setting again.THEN.....The next morning you start up FSX and "WHAT?" Its a blurred,choppy mess. What happend to that perfect picture and Sim Nirvana I had last night.I think the same gremlin responsible for stealing socks also has been tinkering with my fsx.cfg.Is it just me that had this phenomenoa?And YES, alcohol and pharmaceuticals have been ruled out.

Nope... never had this one. Since I got my FSX tweaked, it runs perfectly. Some non-sim related things can affect performance(programs in background, drivers, etc), but my FSX always runs the same- 35 fps solid.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest NoobPilot

Heh, yeah, same thing here. And just because it isn't a pharmaceutical, doesn't mean it isn't a drug!

All the reading I've done here over the last couple of years and versions, as well as my own experience, convinces me that flightsim tweaking should be classified in the DSM as a type of obsessive-compulsive disorder. I was able to break free of this insidious form of madness during the previous version - FS9. I still have momentary slips with FSX, but they don't last for more than a day. When it happens, I just say 'no' and go play my guitar for awhile until I am restored to sanity.

I don't have to fiddle with FSX anywhere near what I used to in FS9. FSX is simply much 'sharper' and smoother than FS9 ever was for the majority of its life cycle on my PC.Especially with SP2, it's best (the .cfg) left alone. It's really up to the power of the computer more than anything else....and either reducing the sliders, or living with less frame rates.I can't even remember when I dug into my .cfg last. Now getting a handle on Nvidia drivers...that is another story ;)

Guest AreCee

Oh yes I've had that happen, fought it for a year, frustrating to say the least!!!In my case it turned out to be a lack of video RAM for what I was asking FSX to do. I was right on the boarder with my 320 meg 8800 GTS. When I loaded a plane or flew into an area that would overtax my video memory, everything went to ^#@&$#. I replaced my 320 meg 8800 GTS with a 640 meg 8800 GTS about two months ago... and ever since have been flying in "Sim Nirvana".

Guest jshyluk

You have flagrantly broken Shyluk's Rule.You have no idea what Shyluk's Rule is, since I have only told a few people about it until now:SHYLUK'S RULE:Never fiddle with, tweak, adjust, repair, or alter the operational properties of a computer after 2300h (11pm) local time, not until you get enough sleep to feel rested.You'd be surprised at how much better your computer will run, or at least how little extra maintenance you have to do on it, or at least how much potential you have to be happier in life if you follow this rule. In any case, to butcher the Bard, there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your fsx.cfg file. A setup that works at one time might get butchered because you are running your computer differently the next. Maybe your memory is fragmented. Maybe you picked up a virus. Maybe you have somethimng running in your background. Maybe a .dll failed to initialize. Or you changed your USB devices around. Or your hard drive got some fragments in it. Or the ambient temperature is different at night than during the day. Who knows? It's way after 11. Sleep on it.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

>You stay up late at night tweeking,fiddling,changing>this,moving that and BINGO!>You hit the magic, almost impossible combination of settings>and have a PERFECT picture.>No blurs,good performance no stutters ect.>You give a victory "YES,Finally the Holy Grail of setups.">You carefully make sure mot to touch anything and swear that>you will NEVER change any setting again.>THEN.....>The next morning you start up FSX and "WHAT?" Its a>blurred,choppy mess. What happend to that perfect picture and>Sim Nirvana I had last night.>I think the same gremlin responsible for stealing socks also>has been tinkering with my fsx.cfg.>Is it just me that had this phenomenoa?>And YES, alcohol and pharmaceuticals have been ruled out. Yep, know that!FSX has the best random error generator in the Universe.

Guest cbuchner1

Maybe FSX implements Schr