Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Notepad for FSX?

Guest Sirocco

I was looking through the YouTube VATSIM videos, and I came across something I thought was very interesting in one particular video. At 2.41 note the chart, pen and marker:http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Lmpqfus2kUWhen I'm planning a flight, noting the VOR information, distance between waypoints, etc., I have to use paper and pen, which is a little wasteful given it's a once only deal, unless you fly that route often.The question is, is it a plugin in the video, and if so, what is it? And what other such tools are available? I have searched through a lot of addon links and I haven't come across anything similar to date.

Guest PPSFA

No idea what that is but I can tell you what I do. I print the flightplan, it gives you all the info you need, has room for notes, and when I fly the same route, I just pull it up for reference.XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optomized by www.fs-gs.com

Guest Sirocco

>No idea what that is but I can tell you what I do. I print>the flightplan, it gives you all the info you need, has room>for notes, and when I fly the same route, I just pull it up>for reference.That is often all the information you need, of course, but there are times when it isn't. For example I often fly from Nice to Barcelona. Part of that route is between waypoints Senia and Saura. You fly that leg on a radial from the Reus VOR, which isn't listed on the flightplan. It saves time and fumbling with paperwork to note such information down beforehand.I'm all for saving trees, so I also use SHIFT+F10 to call up the flight planner, too. ;)

Guest fsxmissionguy

Between 2:53 and 2:55, the "notepad" disappears.If you look carefully at the surrounding panel, you'll notice that it also disappears along with the notepad. This looks to be a subpanel of the VC of whatever add-on aircraft that this person us flying.That notepad is most likely just window dressing in the texture of the subpanel, and isn't functional.Cheers,

Guest Sirocco

>Between 2:53 and 2:55, the "notepad" disappears.You might be right. It also occurred to me that it might not be functional. If that is the case it still might give someone an idea for a useful little addon.

Guest PPSFA

>That is often all the information you need, of course, but>there are times when it isn't. For example I often fly from>Nice to Barcelona. Part of that route is between waypoints>Senia and Saura. You fly that leg on a radial from the Reus>VOR, which isn't listed on the flightplan. It saves time and>fumbling with paperwork to note such information down>beforehand.I just pulled up the route in both IFR and VFR High and Low alt routes in FSX. It doesnt list REUS VOR on any flight plan or those 'waypoints'. If you are using waypoints, are you using a 'canned' GPS flight plan? Waypoints are for GPS, intersections are for radio nav. XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optomized by www.fs-gs.com

We used to have a scratch-pad area in the kneeboard in FS2004 (or was it 2002?). We also used to have a browser in the kneepad. Both are missed.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest Sirocco

>I just pulled up the route in both IFR and VFR High and Low>alt routes in FSX. It doesnt list REUS VOR on any flight plan>or those 'waypoints'. If you are using waypoints, are you>using a 'canned' GPS flight plan? Waypoints are for GPS,>intersections are for radio nav.You're right; it's Valencia. It doesn't list Reus VOR but it does list Senia and Saura. Looking at the actual en route chart it looks like a leg between the Barcelona and Valencia VOR's. You can't get that radial without Reus, and it's not on the flight plan. I flew one or two of those, wondering how I could fly the legs without the preceding or next VOR giving the radial, and then I discovered en route charts.

Guest Sirocco

>We used to have a scratch-pad area in the kneeboard in FS2004>(or was it 2002?). We also used to have a browser in the>kneepad. Both are missed.Gah. MS should do their bit for the planet and put it back in. You could be much more organised with it on more complex flights.

Guest PPSFA

Yup, enroute charts are the key if you want to follow an IFR flight planXP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optomized by www.fs-gs.com

There's always the tell_fs@micrsoft.com email address where we can send out input.Threads like this *might* help too.I can live without the browser, but taking the scratchpad away is sorely missed.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest Sirocco

>There's always the tell_fs@micrsoft.com email address where>we can send out input.Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I always thought of that email address as a bit of a sink hole; a suggestion box that's never emptied.I suppose volume of requests might help.

>>There's always the tell_fs@micrsoft.com email address where>>we can send out input.>>Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I always thought of that email>address as a bit of a sink hole; a suggestion box that's never>emptied.>>I suppose volume of requests might help.Actually, every message received there is read by someone eventually. They are -of course- never replied to by anyone at anytime. No one has that much time...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hey - simple solution.Get yourself an A4 clipboard.An A4 sheet of acetate.A non-permanent fine marker pen.This way one can print off various flight planning docs available, or whatever one wishes, insert under the ascetate and scribble away to ones hearts content over the top.Simply wipe clean with a tissue at the end of the flight. Saves on wasting loads of paper - and a few forests ! Has worked a treat for me for several years, and is far easier than using the keyboard/notepad approach.Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373