Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuperFortress

Taildragger Takeoffs

Guest SuperFortress

Can someone please describe the proper procedure for taking off in a taildragger? I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I always wind up veering off the runway in a wild manner. I am using rudder pedals to steer but that does not seem to help me much. Thank you.

I'm no expert, but I find the best technique is to apply throttle slowly, then use your pedals to correct for the prop that will drag you to one side.As your speed increases, the tail will lift and you will be able to see over the nose, and can add throttle.That, for me, has been the key: nice and slow, plenty of (carefully applied) opposite pedal, and you're up and away.Completely the opposite, it must be said, to my original approach: slam the throttle on full, then wail with frustration when I spun off at 90deg.Hope that helps.

Paul Skol

Guest JIMJAM

Every plane is different so if available read the Pilot Manual.The P-51 vs the 109 have different procedures.Some want you to force the nose down to get the tail flying while some want to lift on their own.As a general rule, look over at your wingtip and judge the distance to the runway edge..Gradually add power but not so slow you keep the tail in dead air to long.Anticipate and use your rudder. YOU make the plane do what YOU want it to.I learned this in real life with the Cub.Watch that distance of the wing tip and runway edge and use the rudder to keep it contant.When the tail lifts an you can see over the nose,look forwards.Also turning down the realism and practicing at Edwards Air Force base helps.BYW-The Cub and most the tail draggers in fs9 IMO were unrealistic and over sensitive on the ground handling.Fiddling with the rudder values may be needed.Have fun.....

Don't forget to lock the tailwheel (SHIFT g) once lined up on the runway!

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

This is how I do in real life. I fly the Citabria and the Decathlon Tail wheels.1. once you line up on the rwy, moove slightly forward to make sure the castering back wheel is linedup.2. Increase throttle gently and maintain center line control with rudder and put forward pressure on stick so the tail wheel can rise ASAP.3. Roll down the rwy on the two front primary wheel with the tail wheel sticking up until you get to take off speed.4. Now apply gentle back pressure on stick and lift off!:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest jshyluk

That's all great advice! I would add:Turn off any wind.Dial down your P-Factor, or set Realism sliders to Medium and not Full.Don't carry a full fuel load.The prop will drag your aircraft left, so you will get the feeling for it, and learn to add right rudder. As you accelerate, forward momentum will help and you don't need as much rudder. One some taildraggers, especially heavy ones like the DC-3, it helps to push forward like Manny says to force the tail up. Once you can see the runway, you can ease up on the rudder a bit, as you will be lifting off in a moment. Practise touch and go, or stay in the pattern and take off and land a few times until you get the hang of it. Then you can add wind, P-Factor, etc.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Check out this video of my flight on Crazy Horse. Lee Lauderback, which is one if not the premier flight Instructor for a Mustang, explains the procedures he uses to takeoff in Crazy Horse! That was the only part of the flight he took control, after that he handed the controls to me right through landing!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I still cannot land the FSX default Piper Cub without flipping over.

>I still cannot land the FSX default Piper Cub without>flipping over.>>The FS9 Piper Cub had some on and off computer glitches that made it nearly impossible to take off with "realistic settings". It would veer severely sideways and end up in a ground loop or cartwheel. No amount of corrective control would help. But this just didn't happen all the time. I don't remember if the FSX version has this problem or not.L.Adamson

Guest SuperFortress

>>I still cannot land the FSX default Piper Cub without>>flipping over.>>>>>The FS9 Piper Cub had some on and off computer glitches that>made it nearly impossible to take off with "realistic>settings". It would veer severely sideways and end up in a>ground loop or cartwheel. No amount of corrective control>would help. But this just didn't happen all the time. I don't>remember if the FSX version has this problem or not.>>L.Adamson>>This is similar to the problem I'm having with the P51. The good tips here have helped me with the DC9 but I'm still unable to properly control the P51 during takeoff. It will veer wildly to the left or right depending on which rudder pedal I use.