Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

FSX still need /userva switch even on x64 OS's?

Guest Nick_N

@jimjam3072-3072 and always on the Windows partitionYour good to goSystem Managed is fine too if you suspect the system may need it but I doubt it unless you are working with massive photoshop files and A/VIt will NOT, NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT increase performance to change that file to a value that is too large, only too small and at 2GB, you wont ever hit max with FSX @ 3072-3072 That meas you have 3072+2048=5120 total. Once you hit the 2GB mark .. FSX starts paging to the hard drive and I dont think you will eat another 3GB@JordanalThats normal... Winders is just doing its own calc thing. With system managed if it needs more it will expand automatically so if you see another error, it ain't OOM or related to page

Jim:The general concensus for virtual swap size = "System Managed".The accepted formula floating around used to be 3x the amount of ram, eg. 512k of RAM installed x 3 = 1536 minimum / maximum. However, this is no longer necessary with systems requiring a minimum of 2GB to run Vista effectively it would be a 6144 swapfile and in the case of 4GB would be a 12288 swapfile! That no longer applies obviously with large amounts of memory installed.There were also rumors of turning it off completely (which I would never recommend)Simply leave your swapfile alone and let Windows XP / Vista manage it. Microsoft themselves will tell you the same thing and is the accepted recommendation for troubleshooting OOM errors in Windows.Of course, there are a few reasons to change with vm swapfile, but only very few! I don't believe that FSX or FS9 is one of them.Regards,Mike T.