Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

Reality XP new WAAS, Orbx, Carenado and new seats!

The Carenado Mooney can now be outfitted with a new interior provided (freeware) from Orbx and White Digital. Thanks! It also adds a very realistic windscreen without the annoying (but realistic) tint.My Mooney has also been outfitted with both Reality XP's flight line instruments and new GNS WAAS 530. The 530 fits perfectly in the panel. The new FSX versions of the Garmin 430 and 530 demanded continuous hard drive access on my Vista SP1 machine. As soon as I turned on either version, my hard drive access light went solid until I turned it off. It also affected performance by causing minor stuttering with heavy weather and a high quality VC. (i.e. F1 Pilatus).Jean-Luc recently offered a solution that solved my concern and performance hit with the Garmin's turned on. The June 12th update added an init statement to "off load" the working folder of the Garmin's to a USB or client computer. I mapped a drive on my networked client for the GNS folder, added the single init file entry and success! It's works perfectly. My flight plans are saved on the client and the surprising observation that the XP client has very little drive access. Vista had ludicrous continuous drive access. Terrific! A couple of shots follow for those who own the Carenado Mooney.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189849.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189850.jpg

Why is there so much hard drive activity with the Reality XP 530?

Guest JeanLuc_

There is not "so much hard drive" activity in fact. The real GNS comes with a flash memory, embedded, that stores the "non volatile" data for its operation. This includes your user waypoints, your flight plans, your map settings etc...In addition, this flash memory is also the "RAM" for the GNS. It stores its run-time specific information (in the case of the WAAS, it is a registry hive, like in Windows).What happens, is that about every 1 second, it updates the registry and thus it access for read/write the RAM (in flash).Now, with the trainer on the PC, the Flash ram is in fact a file on the hard drive. This is the activity you see, going to that file.On WinXP, at least with indexing services turned off for the folder (and in fact the service disabled in service manager), there is not much activity going on and certainly nothing that causes a stutter (no more than FS accessing its own files every 1 seconds as well).On Vista, I suspect (because only a few customers are having what looks like more pronounced accesses to the file) it is indexing services or a couple other services causing this, unless, it simply boils down to the anti-virus you are using. I must note that I vouch for NOD32 not only for quality (anti-vir) but also for its quite transparent action in terms of file access, but I know some others (like AVG) can really suck a lot of resources on some files for nothing (maybe excluding the folder the .mem file - see the Reality XP forum for location - from the AV prog can help).Nonetheless, the latest update includes a new setting to let the user select its own prefered folder for the runtime files. This way, you can use a network file, a USB drive, a virutal RAM drive etc....Jean-Luc

Well, I was going to say all that. LOL.The indexing service for Vista SP1 states it cannot be turned off. I would love to dump it, but I don't know how. I am using ESET NOD32 AV. My real point was that my Carendo Mooney is the best equipped (instrument wise) and upholstered on the forums!!! LOL.. Plus, the ability to off load the working memory of the Garmin to my client makes it a dream to fly! Off loading the memory is a milestone for the Garmin's and I hope a precursor to networking the Garmin. Bob..

Guest JIMJAM

Guys if you have the Mooney you gotta get this interior.One of the best looking realistic looks I have ever seen.Its got that used,worn look. Weathered floor mats,dirt,grime on the glass and even those swirls marks the Lineguys leave using with their oily rags.And its FREE!!No link but go to Orbx,forums,general and there is a thread.I noticed a small performance hit but the Mooney was not bad to start with.

Guest UlfB

>I must note that I vouch for NOD32 not only for quality>(anti-vir) but also for its quite transparent action in terms>of file access, but I know some others (like AVG) can really>suck a lot of resources on some files for nothing (maybe>excluding the folder the .mem file - see the Reality XP forum>for location - from the AV prog can help).Jean-Luc,Thanks for the inspiration to test NOD32. I've been using Avast! for a couple of years now, but every now and then I've had problems with one of the Avast! services in Vista32. Today I uninstalled Avast! and installed NOD32 (30 day trial) and it sure is easy on resources.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32