Sign in to follow this  
thrakete

FSX real-time weather

I've been doing some flying in Alaska and noticed that the real-time weather that FSX donwloads from Jeppesen doesn't match what the real weather is in Alaska at the specific locations I'm flying, which I can determine from the NOAA/NWS Metar reports and the FAA's Alaska webcams. Anyone know what the problem is with FSX/Jeppesen? Thanks.tnbriggs

Guest RonB49

Just as I don't turn on the frame rate display, lest I be disenchanted, I also don't consult real-world METARS while I'm using the FSX-Jeppesen weather. The weather that I download is usually reasonably close to what I expect for the area in which I'm flying and so why disappoint my self by seeking perfection.Wow, that sounds almost profound. Perhaps I'm finally becoming one with FSX; I'll go meditate on that. Mmmmmmmm, Mmmmmmmm, Mmmmmmmm.R-

Guest fsxmissionguy

The definition of frustration can be express by the ratio of expectation to reality.You can adjust either side of that equation to achieve happiness.

What does it matter? - downloading so-called "Realtime weather" gives me differing weather conditions to fly in - that is all I need.Barry

You can always get your wife or girlfriend to dump a pail of water on you while you are flying. That might make it more real.:-lol :-lol

Jim Wenham

Guest NoobPilot

What if I'm single?

No problem there. Get one of those hats that spray water and also has a small fan on it. That way when you have the window in the cockpit open it will feel sooooooooooooooooooooooooo real.:-lol

Jim Wenham

Guest PPSFA

The Metars could be up to an hour old.I posted earlier, seems it didnt show upXP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optomized by www.fs-gs.com

Thanks for the one real response. I've checked the METARs and the FAA webcam site and found the following; my local time is 0217 UTC, the latest NOAA METAR for Fort Yukon (PAFY or PFYU) at http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PFYU.html is time-stamped 0156 and the one before that was stamped 0136. At the FAA webcam site at http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.php the latest pictures (one each for camera orientation at N, NE, S, & W have time stamps of 01:47:58, 01:50:01, 01:54:10 and 01:52:06 respectively. Those pictures are updated about every fifteen minutes as indicated in the loops for each of the views. I can certainly check the METAR site and the FAA webcams and adjust the weather accordingly in FSX (and have done so in the past), but the question was really about why there is a discrepancy between Jeppesen and the other information, since I would surmise that Jeppesen is getting their information from the METARs. In reading some NTSB reports on aircraft incidents/accidents I noticed that on occasion the Jeppesen airport information with regard to construction on taxiways, etc. was not current (in particular in connection with a fatal Comair CRJ-200 crash on RW26 at Lexington, KY in August, 2006) so maybe that also applies to the weather data from them.Thanks again.

Guest JIMJAM

Thats why our FBO has a rope hanging outside by the door on the ramp.If its wet, its raining, if its moving........

Could be that the reports from Jepp are getting a bit stale when we get them. It would be nice to see the raw report that the Jepp data is working from so that we could check against what the sim is showing. Most of my cross-checks do work out but I've never checked in AK.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Maybe they don't display the raw METARs because we'd all be up in arms about how old they are... ;-) I tend to use ActiveSky most of the time, and it does display the METARs, which mostly seem to be pretty up to date. Don't know where its server gets them from though.

The Jepp weather has always been notorious for inaccuracy. Try FSMETAR. It was written for FS2004 but works for my FSX. I think that it is available here at AVSIM. Uses FSUIPC to work with FSX.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

X-Plane uses direct METARS downloads and I have found their weather matches very closely what I see on local NWS Radar (subject of course to the one hour cycle). I have deliberately flown the X-plane 172SP into a thunderstorm shown on local Radar, and got the expected; hail damage to the windshield, lightning all over, and near loss of control.However, don't buy X-plane as a substitute for Flight Simulator, though you may be interested in it as an additional program. I am a retired Aerospace Flight Test Engineer, and IMHO, X-Plane is not an Aviation Simulator like FSX, but an Aircraft Simulator, which is why I enjoy it in addition to FSX. The two should not be directly compared. X-Plane aerodynamics is determined by the aircraft physical shape and control surfaces, (no ".air" file equivalent). At least at present, it has very little of the eye candy, like detailed VC's, AI aircraft, detailed airport scenery or the developer support that most FSX fans are accustomed to. It can output extensive data on aircraft behavior. However, if you try to use it like Flight simulator, you are almost certain to be very frustrated; it is different, and there is a learning curve.I am only posting this to point out that direct METARS downloads apparently work with the right software to convert them into simulated weather.Yes, I have both of the programs and spend time using both. My interests in X-Plane are only as an owner of the program, I am not trying to sell it to anybody.Regards,Thrakete