Sign in to follow this  
Guest apollothethird

What Vista?

HiI am going to buy a new PC and I would like to know what Vista version should I get to run FSX. Your thoughts are appreciated.Stelios

Stelios Christofides

Definitely Vista Ultimate 64bit. The best performance you can get on Vista. Requires fast CPU and, I would say, at least 4GB of RAM. Most of the drivers are already available for it. The best I was able to squeeze from it running FSX was almost on a par with WinXP Pro Sp2 which I find excellent for Vista yet.

Confused, your sig says you already have vista!I'd say go with home premium for home use, the ultimate version has lots more features than you actually need and if building a new rig, then 64 bit. Compare the versions herehttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ons/choose.mspxRegards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Do not get vista at all get XP Pro. Don't get me wrong on the surface Vista is cool and intuitive but It just runs poorly with FSX. I Just bought a new system and I put Vista on it and I had nothing but grief, it ran horribly. I finally went back to XP and FSX is running so much better. I have read on these forums that XP runs 40% better than Vista. Do a search on this topic there has been lots discussed on this topic. Just my opinion.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest thx1137

Vista is no slower or faster on my hardware. Personally I have Home Premium because I write web applications, I have never felt a need for any of the other versions.Ignore below - Vista Venting...One new issue for me is that in the last week it has been warning me that my copy will expire in 16 days (11 to go) so be ready to purchase a new copy. No one at Harvey Norman told me it was time limited (over $200 for a trial!?) and definitely will not buy another copy. Saying that, I believe it is some kind of mistake but I get sick of having to beg to use products I buy and the hoops I had to jump through with MS to reinstall this copy of Vista... I only ran it for about 3 months the first time before going back to XP, the second install I had to get permission from MS. Usually you get 3 or so installs before having to beg.I guess it is helping me save money, I used to upgrade all my equipment and software at least twice a year but not anymore.Hmmm. Does FSX run under WINE?!Thinking about it, I might preempt it and put XP back on tonight.I miss Windows 98.Steven.

I agree, Home Premium 64 bit is the edition of choice. You'll definitely want 4GB memory though if you're going 64 bit.Ultimate adds nothing at all performance-wise; the only reason to get that would be if you needed the Business features along with the Home features, for example if you wanted to add your machine to an Active Directory domain.Of course some people like it just because it's called "Ultimate". :)Colin

>Confused, your sig says you already have vista!>>I'd say go with home premium for home use, the ultimate>version has lots more features than you actually need and if>building a new rig, then 64 bit. Compare the versions here>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ons/choose.mspx>>Regards, Michael>KDFW>>

Asus A8N32-SLI>Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Stelios Christofides

Stelios:What are the hardware specs on your new PC? You should do your research on what each version of Vista does and if you need those additional features or if they are a waste of money.There is ABSOLUTELY no noticiable performace hit on any of the newer mid > high end processors, so there is truely no reason to install XP on a new system.Don't go with a 64-bit OS, it is not required, simply purchase whatever flavor of Vista 32-bit you want and enable the:BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable switch and turn DEP off.This forces Vista to see your full 4GB (assuming your are going with 4GB). Prior to enabling the switch Vista only saw 3GB out of 4GB, therefore no need for a 64-bit OS to run 32-bit apps with only 4GB of RAM. (Of course if you are planning on running MS Exchange Server 2007 then I recommend 8GB and a 64-bit OS :-lol )Regards,Mike T.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189912.jpg

I can only echo what has been said above... I am on my second Vista laptop now and it has given me absolutely no problems at all.What you should do is research the new features of Vista and what the differences are. There's a lot more going on with Vista than with XP. MS has tried to make Vista a one-size-fits-all operating system and they have put stuff in that is unnecessary and probably undesirable for users who want to run resource hungry programmes like FS.Personally, I have disabled User Account Control, the Windows Search service, (aka Indexing), Windows Security Centre and Windows Defender. You may or may not want to disable Superfetch too depending on whether or not you want this feature.After making these changes, and of course the other routine maintenance tasks like running up to date drivers, regularly defragging my HDDs, maintaining a clean registry and clearing out the temporary files and junk that accumulates over time... I have found Vista to be a very good OS, and in terms of performance it is no different at all to XP.Also bear in mind that it is very fashionable to bash anything made my MS, and I can remember lots of people slating XP when it first came out, and it didn't really become the all singing all dancing OS that everyone raves about until SP2 :)

>Don't go with a 64-bit OS, it is not required, simply purchase>whatever flavor of Vista 32-bit you want and enable the:On the other hand, there's no difference in price between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, so assuming you're going to go with 4GB memory, why not go for the 64 bit version and save yourself some tweaking?The only reason I can think of is if you have hardware that doesn't have 64 bit drivers available. If you do then yes you could probably save yourself some hassle by sticking with 32, but more and more hardware vendors seem to be releasing 64 bit drivers as more people are taking advantage of their 64 bit processors.Colin

Sounds like bad luck, Steve.I bought Vista Home Premium & it's been superb,far better for me than XP - faultless runningof FSX SP2, Photoshop, Hi Def.video editing,word processors & especially extremely fastsearch.Harvey Norman has been by far the best for me,because I extensively research before purchase,then tell the store I will bring it back immed.if it doesn't perform as they say. My H.N. hasin-house computer techs, which other peopledon't have.I've used since FS5. Think you've been unlucky.Peter Sydney Australia

Guest apollothethird

[table bgcolor=cccccc][tr][td] HiI am going to buy a new PC and I would like to know what Vista version should I get to run FSX. Your thoughts are appreciated.Stelios [/td][/tr][/table]Hi, Stelio. I believe you