Sign in to follow this  
Guest George M

Swapping VCs

Guest George M

I was lamenting the poor quality of the FSX default King Air's VC, and also the fact that the AFG King Air (with a pretty good VC) wasn't a native FSX model and I thought "Hey, why not combine them?". Since you can specify separate interior and exterior models in model.cfg it seemed feasible. Sure, they're different King Air variants but the view from the VC is probably close enough for me.So, in the default King Air folder I created a model.afg folder. In it I put a model.cfg that aliased the default exterior model and the AFG model for the interior. I created a panel.afg folder and aliased the AFG's panel. I created a texture.afg folder and aliased both the default King Air's base texture folder and the AFG's base texture. Fortunately, there are no name collisions in the two planes' textures. I created a new aircraft.cfg entry that specified the three new folders.This all seemed good and clever until I tried to load the hybrid plane. When I tried loading it from the Select Aircraft screen I got a CTD. Undaunted, I tried the same technique to alias the Carenado Mooney's VC (which is in a separate interior model) to the default Mooney and that worked. It would require a bit of tweaking to work well, textures in particular, but it certainly validated the concept.Anyone have any idea why it didn't work with the King Airs? Is it because it's a mix of native and non-native models, or because the AFG didn't have a separate interior model defined? Obviously the AFG model has the VC embedded, but perhaps when you specify an interior model it has to be a dedicated one. Anyone know for sure?Or is it all just hopeless, and I should just get back to flying?

Guest Shalomar

I would love to have the PMDG 1900C VC in the default King Air...Waiting for the answer too.Best Reards, Donald T.:-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

This "mix-and-match" will only work if both models are FSX native... meaning that both must have been compiled with the new, non-BGL, xtomdl.exe program.The AFG model is a .BGL, MakeMDL.exe compiled model, which encapsulates both the exterior and interior models in one file.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest George M

Thanks for the explanation, I was afraid it was something like that. Oh well, worth a shot...