Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuperFortress

FEX Update is Released !!

That's what I do, but I don't believe that's a solution because - as I understand it - altering the cfg is what's key, not opening the windows to do so. Robert

Guest Nick_N

I believe the change may not take place with SP2 unless you change the SCENERY settings, like autogen. I dont think everyone will see the change either.. like some can put the MipBias= edit in the config and have it remain where with others it will default backJust flew a few hours in testing here. I found no reason to run 4096x4096 clouds.. everyone will have their own opinions about how things should look and to me @ 4096 they are too hard edged and nail my system for at least 7-10 frames under overcast conditions and RWW. Using ASX helps by curbing the layers correctly but the hit was still there. Because of the hit at 4096 they invoke blurs and stutters in heavy urban. I do like the "New Soft" theme but only at 1024x1024 dxt5, otherwise they are not worth the performance hit and to me look much better with diffused edges at 1024. I may retry a few others at 1024 and see how they look but as far as I am concerned for how I like clouds and how I like my system to run under heavy weather, I will be using 1024 x dxt5 for clouds. The "New Soft" theme @ 1024 is definitely a good step up from "Realistically Dense" which is the one I prefer from the original release. They got rid of the digital 'blocks' I would see from time to time with the "Realistically Dense" in the "New Soft" theme which was really nice to see along with some other upgrades

Guest danny68

That's really interesting Nick,I haven't noticed anyone else reporting a performance hit and I'm certainly not getting any additional stutters or issues.For me the visual improvement to the SHD is amazing.I guess each to his own.All this said, I'm not using GEX which I suspect is what's causing the performance problems you are having. Maybe GEX puts an overload on the system that can't cope with any other program demanding anything extra from the video card.Anyway, no problems for me at all with performance.

Guest Nick_N

GEX increases performance, not reduce it and you would be hard pressed to find any correctly configured system that does not respond better with GEX properly installed over equal setting on the default textures and autogen.As I said, it was under heavy overcast conditions and urban areas and there was no mistaking the loss. Every system is different and I do fly very high settings. With 1024x1024 I can raise water to 2xHigh and not see the hit I do @ 4096 and 2xLowI was not posting anything negative about the product as I use FEX all the time and will continue to use it but I am also a user/simmer and have my own opinions about how things look and run and will post them when subjects come up.As you mentioned.. the MAX Tex Load setting does not reset on your system.. with many others it does, and, it does on mine as well if I enter the Scenery Settings and make a change. The differences in systems are many and just because I do not personally like the high res versions of the clouds or they cause performance problems on my system does not mean everyone will see that problem or have the same opinion. The interface provides an editing tool which goes a long way with making personal preference changes. I was referring to the provided 4096 themes and how they look to me. I also run high TBM and BP settings and that may also play into the result I am getting with the higher res textures, and, I may be able to tune those better for 4096 use however those settings also keep my terrain sharp ar far as the eye can see at Mach1+ down on the deck under any/all conditions so reducing them to run textures at 4096 is really not an option. I also run default AI at 59% which loads my system down making it more sensitive to performance changes, which is how I like it so I can tell when something I have added or removed has made a positive change, or otherwise. Bush flying and outside of urban areas with large airports did not present a performance problem with 4096 here.I am a FEX user who has always highly recommended the product. Perhaps I should have elaborated more with my post. ;-)

Works great for me, now I can enjoy flying in the clouds heheI'm not getting degraded performance either :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

you know, it is strange. Under extreme overcast, I get better FPS with the new higher res. clouds than I did with the lower res. in overcast conditions. I'm not sure how that can be, but not changing anything else and making sure my config did not revert to 1024, it is smoother. Maybe it is the cloud theme itself, or something. Magic perhaps....heck I don't care. Im not touching it anymore. I followed Nicks guide to the T! and it did wonders, installed the update to FEX and now its even smoother...go figure. one happy camperDanonO.

I would like to add my congratulations to the team at FEX for their great work on this add-on.There is of course no denying that machine and video set-up remain key to the running of FSX and that your MMV with different settings and under various conditions we found that under "normal", "medium" and in "heavy" conditional testing the following appears to be the norm.1) Both my clients and I are seeing not only much more varied and beautiful options for clouds with little or no "hit" but in most cases an increase in performance as well. Under the very worst conditions we tested we found no more then a 1-2% difference between 1024 and 4096 clouds. 2) That in their dedication to their product and in their "pushing" of the limits of this sim they are showing us what can be accomplished within FSX and they are a credit to 3PDs.and believe me when I say that if I had discovered that the SHD textures were causing a hit across a broad spectrum of machines I would have gone after them without hesitation just as I did here in my post regarding texture sizes.and.................As most of you know by now I am not shy about it !!!!!! LOLMichael Greenblattwww.fs-gs.com

Michael, there was one salient point that I failed to mention in that other thread regarding the use of 4096 textures......and that is, when used intelligently and efficiently, they work very, very well, with little to no impact on sim performance......however, improper and careless use can bring the most powerful hardware to an absolute crawl...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N

OkSo no one else gets the wrong idea about what I posted.. I was very clear to post above what I was seeing in performance was most likely due to my own settings and system. I never said there was anything wrong with the product other than the issue of the max-tex-load reset and I was also quite clear that some will see that issues and some will not, and, that Chris was looking into it which is why I posted the link to the thread, so those who may be seeing the problem would have a place to go to find a posted fix if it is found soon.If there is anyone else who wishes to jump in on the performance subject and toot a horn, please read what I posted and clarified very clearly first.thanks;-)

>Definitely, Jim, especially for someone like me, who when>landing a complex plane at a busy airport, routinely reduces>the AI traffic before the approach to improve control on>landing. I may have to limit the high-def clouds to GA>flights, or else forego much of my AI. But the clouds sure are>nice.>>RobertJust a thought, I believe that from What's been said that the limitation in the sim, is the fact that the "slider" forces the value of 1024 back into the config file.. that's been my experience anyway.So if you routinely make these changes to ai on approach could I suggest that on one occasion you make the change to the config and then Save the config to a file.. called approach?next Edit the approach config file, and change the values for TML to 4096. In effect create a few configs that you use most and edit them.Now when you fly, and approach your airport, instead of going into the sliders just select load from the menu and your approach config..as you don't view the menu (i.e. the slider) you should get your your new ai settings, bloom off etc for approach as well as the 4096 textures set in that config file...If it's the gui that's limiting the change, this would get you round the gui problem inherent in FSX, and it's quicker than using the gui anyway, I'm off to work anyone want to try?CheersMaurice.

Maurice, a very creative and interesting idea, and I will give it a try tomorrow.Thanks, Robert

Guest Vigilius

I love FEX and with the new SHD clouds is simply stunning. I don't know why (oh yes, I know, is the skill of the developers) but on my PC the 4096x4096 clouds are better than 1024 also in FPS.No problems at all, only fun and a lot of new screenshots for my desktop ;-)

Guest Vigilius

>you know, it is strange. Under extreme overcast, I get>better FPS with the new higher res. clouds than I did with the>lower res. in overcast conditions. >>one happy camper>DanonO.I'm agree because it's exactly the same thing for me