Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Using FEX properly.

I see that a User Manual for FEX is currently being worked on and not released yet. I bought FEX yesterday and everything went well with download, installation, and the Hi-Def update. My config shows the proper resolution being used.Tell me...how do you all use this program? Do you start it, select a theme, and keep it open and minimized. OR, do you have to keep it open? Can you just select something like "ramdomize", close the program and ASSUME it will do its thing when you open FSX? I also see that you can launch FSX from FEX. Is that the proper procedure? Sorry to ask such basic set of questions, but I know that with GEX, I just install, occasionally update it and forget it.Thanks in advance for your suggestions.Stan

Unless you are going to design your own themes, you simply select which ones you want in FEX, load them, then run FSX. You should not be running FEX when FSX is running. Although it really wouldn't hurt anything...FEX just changes the textures you select for the 4 themes available BEFORE you run FSX...you should never attempt to change the themes while FSX is running. If you use the "Start FSX" button in FEX, it will shut down FEX before FSX starts. If you don't use that button, close FEX manually then start FSX.Note on the FEX user interface, there are FIVE theme buttons. The "Master Theme" can be confusing. Unless you actually download (or create) a full "Master Theme", you won't use this button. You will:1. Select a "Cloud" theme.2. Select a "Sky" theme.3. Select a "Water" theme.4. Select a "Water Animation" theme.After selecting the 4 themes above, they will be shown in the 4 "picture windows" on the bottom of the main interface. "Install" these, and FEX changes the appropriate texture files in FSX for all four themes for you. Then close FEX and load FSX. That's it.EDIT: There is also a large PDF User's Manual with FEX. It's located in the directory where you installed FEX. It hasn't been updated for the new SHD version yet, but the main difference right now are the options to select the higher resolution textures in the "Options" menu of FEX (the 4096 texture sizes, for instance). There is also a short tutorial on using the new Theme Designer at the FEX Support Forum. http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=34 FalconAF

Rick Ryan

FalconAF, Thank you. That makes good sense to me. Last question: When I pick my 4 themes, and THEN use the Real Weather engine in FSX, do those themes dominate over the actual type of Clouds that would normally be generated by the specific type of weather?I appreciate your thoughts.Stan

>FalconAF, >Thank you. That makes good sense to me. >>Last question: When I pick my 4 themes, and THEN use the Real>Weather engine in FSX, do those themes dominate over the>actual type of Clouds that would normally be generated by the>specific type of weather?>I appreciate your thoughts.>>StanYes, the FEX textures are the textures that will be utilized.

Thanks.Over and out.Appreciate the clarification. Now I'm going flying.Stan

>Thanks.>Over and out.JFYI:Over means "I'm done talking and am waiting for your reply."Out means "I'm done talking and signing off."It is logically impossible to be both "over" and "out" simultaneously... :)OTOH, there is a humorous definition of "over and out" as possibly meaning "I am a student pilot and don't know if you are going to respond or not"File this under "Pet Peeve #10294" :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

"And don't call me 'Over'".LOLStan

>OTOH, there is a humorous definition of "over and out">as possibly meaning "I am a student pilot and don't know if>you are going to respond or not">>File this under "Pet Peeve #10294" :-lol I think we can blame Hollywood for this one, Bill. I'd like to have a buck every time I've heard "Roger, Wilco, over & out" in a movie. As an old commo chief it's like fingernails on a blackboard.VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx XG 174.74 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Stan,I saw your post and did this. it's very raw, and it's a straight run unedited warts and all :) but it might helphttp://www.vimeo.com/1221663I could do some more to cover the designer tabs if it's of use to folks.as well as some in HDregardsMaurice

Maurice,Thank you...thank you. That was a wonderful video explanation of FEX. I not only enjoyed it (especially the wonderful Scottish accent of the moderator), I learned more from that than anything so far. I really appreciated it. Hopefully other simmers will check out your link.Stan

Hi MauriceCan I include a link to your video in the new manual? Perhaps you should contact Peter or Chris (to link it on the website) as this is quite a nice way of showing what FEX can do. The manual is progressing quite well it is now up to 80+ pages, with still some work to do on simple explanations of what the various functions in FSX are capable of.I really enjoyed the video and have changed the manual on that section accordingly.Peter HayesManual and occasionally Automatic writer FEX.