Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

SP1, SP2 Acceleration Question

Guest BobLee

I was a long time user of FS9, but never reinstalled it after a computer failure. I finally have a machine capable of running FSX and have just installed the Deluxe edition along with SP1.I understand that SP2 in not backwards compatible with FS9 add-ons, but that isn't a problem for me. Thus, should I install SP2? Does it go right over SP1? And what is Acceleration?Thanks

Guest firehawk44

"should I install SP2? Does it go right over SP1? And what is Acceleration?"Acceleration gives you a few more aircraft and some new missions plus SP2. If you have Vista and a DX10 compatible video card, then you should install SP2 as DX10 Preview provides a few more fps. The new aircraft in Acceleration are nice too.Best regards,Jim

Guest BobLee

Thanks. I'm still using XP, but a Vista 64 version may be in my near future.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Bob,Acceleration is a LOT more than just a few extra aircraft and some missions. You may or may not want what it does, but here's what Acceleration really is:It's an unprecedented expansion of Flight Simulator functionality. If all you do is fly the heavies, you'll have little use for it, but if you want to experience other types of flying, it's must-have.To allow you to enjoy the additional functionality Acceleration includes an F/A-18. This aircraft allows you to enjoy the new Carrier Ops functionality of assisted takeoff (catapults and blast shield), arrested landings (cables and hooks!) and the aircraft systems that enable this (launch bars, etc.). This used to require addon software. Now it is part of Flight Simulator and all aircraft add-on producers can include this functionality in their jets.To allow you to enjoy the additional functionality of Helicopter Lift Operations, Microsoft provides the EH101 heavy lift helicopter. This helicopter allows you to experience the new lifting functionality programmed into the sim through the Acceleration Expansion Pack. This allows you to pick up heavy objects with helicopters (not just the EH101).The EH101 also allows you to enjoy the helicopter hoist functionality that, for the first time ever, is in Flight Simulator. Addon devs can now program for winch and hoist operations.Microsoft also includes the P51 Mustang ... so that you can enjoy a completely redesigned racing system that includes multiplayer capabilities. The racing system is brand new, simulates engine degredation, keeps track of times, provides a new mapping system to help you learn the tracks.The types of racing you can do with this new system are improved as well, with Red Bull type gate races, and also Reno-style lap racing.They threw in 30+ missions that allow you to experience all of the additional functionality.It's the single best add-on for FSX that there is because it represents a major expansion of what is simulated in Flight Simulator.Cheers,

and there are 5 sceneries:IstanbulLongleatTempelhofEdwardsReno ( for the Reno air race )and most might have missed it, but the area around Mt St Helens ( for the rescue mission ) now uses 3M lidar data exported with custom fraction bits to enable smooth mountain meadows instead of the usual stairstepping.so thats:3 aircraft, 4 systems upgrades a)carriers ( tailhook, arrestor, catapult, launch bar, meatball ) b)helos ( true multi-engine, hoist, sling loads c)racing engines ( ADI, failures ) d)racing system ( gates and laps, counters and timers )30+ missions, 5+ sceneries.it packs a lot for $30.

Guest firehawk44

"I'm still using XP, but a Vista 64 version may be in my near future."I'd wait until you upgrade to the Vista OS. I've heard of too many problems from XP users trying to use SP2. The benefits are with Vista and a DX10 compatible video card.Best regards,Jim

Guest RonB49

>"I'm still using XP, but a Vista 64 version may be in my near>future.">>I'd wait until you upgrade to the Vista OS. I've heard of too>many problems from XP users trying to use SP2. The benefits>are with Vista and a DX10 compatible video card.>>Best regards,>JimAnd just so you hear both side of the story, I use XP, SP2, and Acceleration with no problems at all. If you do experience problems, you can always unistall Acceleration and SP2. R-