Sign in to follow this  
meerkat

Attention: careful with installing freeware NZ & Austra...

Hi all,just curiously downloaded the new freeware "FSX - NEW ZEALAND & AUSTRALIAN GROUND TEXTURES" and test-installed it into a fake FSX directory, as I was alarmed by the readme containing not much info.What you get is: a huge number of textures in your Sceneryworldtexture folder are overwritten with 256x256 pixel sized "new" textures (only 1/4 of the native FSX resolution!) and a folder with 4 landclass files that cover not only NZ and AUS but the whole world. Did not test fly it but I think it's better to leave the fingers off. I normally don't criticize freeware, but this huge download seems to contain no value added, overwrites without asking many of your textures, and affects much more than stated in the readme.At least the authors could have stated some of the above in the readme, and written a warning about backing up textures.Regards

Thanks for the heads up. I just downloaded this file but I don't think I'll install it yet.:(

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

And, even worse, the installed landclass files seem to have their origin in the MyWorld landclass (that sadly enough is available on several pirate websites - do a quick google to confirm) I only could check with MyWorld 2004, but: almost identical file sizes and most important, identical content. The attached picture shows Germany (that should not be reworked if AUS and NZ are changed) for both the Aus_landclass and original FS9 MyWorld landclass files.So I ask the site admin if the file could be deleted from the server (btw, it's also online at Flightsim), if the authors cannot clarify what's the matter with their files?Regards

Hello,Thanks for the information. I was planning to install it but stopped.....I'll wait an see.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Hello:I have deleted the file. If someone finds out what was wrong please email me rcase@avsim.com.R.CaseSenior Library ManagerAvsim Online!

Hm, was still able to start the download. Until now 1231 DLs. Does it take some time untile the file is out of the cache?Regards