Sign in to follow this  
Guest AirAnne

MS Flight Sim X Won't Stay on Cockpit View

Guest AirAnne

I just hooked up MS Flight Sim yesterday. It is set on 3-D Cockpit, but it will suddenly start to cycle through the outside, tower, and aircraft views, usually when I'm right in the middle of trying to execute a manuever. How do I make it stay on 3-D Cockpit?Thanks for your help!AirAnne

Guest j-mo

What controller are you using? Maybe something is mapped to cycle the view. It is "S" on the normally keyboard.

Guest AirAnne

Saitek Proflight Yoke.

Guest AirAnne

I found the "S" on the settings menu for "Cycle Views" and moved the slider all the way to the right. It was all the way to the left. Hope it works! Thanks for your help,AirAnne

Guest AirAnne

Unfortunately, moving the slider had no effect. It still switches out of cockpit view, always at the most inopportune time.

Guest jshyluk

It sounds like you are getting a controller issue. You are going to have to experiment a bit to see what exactly is causing the problem. Obviously, if you have another controller to try, do that.Otherwise, I would suggest these steps:A) Remove "S" as the Cycle View, using the Delete Keyboard Control button. You can always return it to "S" later, or another key command that you choose. For that matter, I've removed it, and I just use the right mouse menu to choose my view. Anyway, see if that helps: if something is triggering "S" commands, then that's a clue.:( Unplug your joystick. Try to fly with they keyboard and mouse. See if that does anything. Plug your stick back in. See if there is any difference. C) If you are still getting problems, you will have to attempt your flight manoeuvres and try to see exactly what control you are using that starts your problem. Maybe try flying at 1/4 speed so that you can see what is happening more clearly.D) If you are comfortable with fiddling with the internal programming of FSX, you can try removing the fsx.cfg file (rename it and put in in its own folder somewhere). The next time FSX starts up, it will discover that it is missing that file and build itself a new one. Sometimes, that fixes strange issues.Hope this helps!Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

OP didn't say if he was using his Saitek yoke with the Saitek profiler or not. In general, though, when FS first recognizes a new controller / joystick, it tries to set input buttons (switches) per info found in standard.xml. In some cases there are predefined settings, but there aren't any for Saitek, so it uses the "generic" section. These settings are copied into a local copy of standard.xml, saved within the users' %appdata% (same place as fsx.cfg in a controls subfolder).Typically the button settings are not the best. For the Saitek yoke, for example, there is a 3-position mode switch, and a button press is continuously sent for one of the 3 buttons assigned to that switch. If any of these buttons (9,10,11) are assigned to commands it will cause a problem. It just so happens that in the default "generic" assignments, button 9 is set to "view mode". (This mode switch is intended to be used by the profiler software. If you don't use the profiler it's kind of useless, or at least I don't see any use for it.)I recommend going into the controls assignments dialog in fsx, and removing ALL controller button settings, both normal flight and slew mode. Then, add in one at a time the buttons you want for various fsx commands. You can leave the POV hat alone, that normally isn't any problem. Don't forget on the throttle section, there are 3 buttons activated by the 3 lever axis controls, and 6 buttons activated by the 3 rocker switches.Note that different software has different conventions as to whether controller buttons are numbered 1,2,3... or 0,1,2... So if you assign button 1 in the FS control assignments, in the file it is stored as button_0 (FS9) or Index 0 (FSX).scott s..

Guest AirAnne

Hey Jeff, Suggestion A did it. We reassigned "S" to a different button. There must be a lose contact on the original button. Thank you!AirAnne