Sign in to follow this  
beatle

FSX Home Page Requires Login now?

Guest Seadog

When I opened up FSX today and went to the Home Page section, to check on the latest FS Insider news and articles, I was suddenly presented with a login form indicating the connection to www.fsinsider.com wished me to enter a User Name and Password. I've never seen this behavior before. I can cancel the login window and apparently connect okay, but I'm wondering what's up with this new behavior.I'm not talking about going to the website initially. I'm talking about simply opening FSX and choosing Home from the options in the left hand column that has Fly Now and Missions and ends with Settings. I realize that makes a connection to FS Insider, but I've never before been asked to login. Now I have to cancel that login window every time I want to view that page because I'm unaware of any place to secure a username and password registration, or of any need to do so.Confirmation or solution, anyone?-Doug

It's probably wanting an MSN username and password, if you have an MSN account... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Seadog

Good of you to offer personal speculation, but I was seeking actual factual information. If it hasn't happened to you, and you don't know for a fact what is going on, I need a more informed response. But I thank you for replying.You could be right about an MSN account, but it doesn't address the questions I posed, which are: Why suddenly now, and Is it happening to you, too.So, Is it happening to you, too? And, if not, do you already have an MSN account the registration for which might explain why it is not happening to you? Thanks.-Doug

Factual information: It's not happening to me.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I am not challenged to provide a username or password, but I do already have a username in Microsoft's hotmail/msn/live/what-have-you system.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>When I opened up FSX today and went to the Home Page section,>to check on the latest FS Insider news and articles, I was>suddenly presented with a login form indicating the connection>to www.fsinsider.com wished me to enter a User Name and>Password. I've never seen this behavior before. I can cancel>the login window and apparently connect okay, but I'm>wondering what's up with this new behavior.>>I'm not talking about going to the website initially. I'm>talking about simply opening FSX and choosing Home from the>options in the left hand column that has Fly Now and Missions>and ends with Settings. I realize that makes a connection to>FS Insider, but I've never before been asked to login. Now I>have to cancel that login window every time I want to view>that page because I'm unaware of any place to secure a>username and password registration, or of any need to do so.>>Confirmation or solution, anyone?>>-DougAbout a year and a half ago there was an option on the fsinsider site so you can log in with a user/pass but (and don't laugh) It never worked properly. I have a user/pass for it but never use it now as the news seems to get here way before it reaches there.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

No login required here either! Are you still getting this? It's possible, when you tried it they were doing maintenance on the site, and they had it locked down.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest firehawk44

Not happening with me and I never saw a login ever in the past.Jim

>Good of you to offer personal speculation, but I was seeking>actual factual information. If it hasn't happened to you, and>you don't know for a fact what is going on, I need a more>informed response. But I thank you for replying.>Sarcasm is not very nice. But anyway, I get no login there.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Seadog

Thank you all - Fr. Bill, Ed, Jeff, Tom, Daveo and Jim - for your replies. It is indeed still happening to me again today, and now I at least know it isn't universal. It's just a head scratcher of an annoyance. Perhaps it will pass. If I go directly to the FS Insider website, using either Internet Explorer or Firefox, I'm not challenged to provide a username and password, by the way. Only accessing the Home Page in FSX calls up that login window. Thanks again for taking the time to think about it and reply.-Doug

Guest bertvankampen

hi Doug,No login required here for FSInsider.RegardsBert

Guest Seadog

Thanks for your reply also, Rhett. It wasn't meant as sarcasm, but to differentiate a guess from facts. Sorry if it sounded wrong, both to you, Fr. Bill, and to you, Rhett.-Doug

Doug:Confirmation: I got the same user name / password promptConfirmation: It does not accept an MSN user name / passwordConfirmation: I got it after rebuilding the FSX.cfg file this morningConfirmation: I don't have the slightest clue what to do about it.Solution: NoneRegards,Mike T.I'm Mike T and I approved this message.

Guest George M

I'm getting the login prompt too. I have no idea when it started, since I don't normally access the Home Page from within FSX.Sorry, no solutions though. I tried all the various Microsoft related username/passwords I have and none worked.

Guest Seadog

Thanks to you, Bert, and to you, Mike T., for your replies. That's an interesting insight, Mike, about rebuilding the config file. To help another simmer, I recently made a lot of changes to mine regarding certain traffic settings before restoring those settings to what they had been. The net result was the file was altered many times, but should have ended as it began, with a new date and time. It's quite interesting the old MSN password and username don't work, Mike.And let me take another opportunity to emphasize that I deeply regret that my reply to Father Bill of last night can be read in any way that sounds or seems offensive. To know that anyone can see it that way is to know that I failed in phrasing it properly, and I'm both contrite and apologetic. I appreciate all responses.-Doug