Sign in to follow this  
OldMaintChief

Windowed vs nonwindowed mode

I have a multidisplay setup and I'm trying to put several 2D and one 3D views in them. Which will be more fps friendly in FSX with XPSP3 the windowed or nonwindowed mode?Tanks!RegardsAbrupto

Guest PPSFA

Like everything else in FSX, your milage may vary, you need to test each one and see what works best for you. I use windowed but then you need to see if maximize button works better, or setting the screen smaller then dragging it to its max size does. I fly with a lot of people who swear full screen works best for them as well.One thing I do is move the task bar to the second monitor, so the man monitor only has FSX on it. I also get rid of the ALT menu in FSX so I basicly see what I would with full screenm but with better FPS for me.XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optomized by www.fs-gs.com

Not everyone agrees, but I definately get more FPS and a sharper image with full screen display. However, windowed mode is more flexible for displays on two monitors, especially when displaying more than one program.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Guest RonB49

My set up works like Art said. FS is best but I use windowed because I need to access other things. R-

You may find that by "Auto Hiding" the windows taskbar, the FPS drop in windowed mode may be mitigated. HTH, but, YMMV.M.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

Guest Nick_N

With Vista hiding the task bar at the bottom of the screen should help with AA and clarityHowever be advised, you will probably not get window mode as clean and smooth as full screen because Vsync can not operate in window mode. Vsync which prevents 'tearing' and 'wiggling' in the image can only be enabled in full screen mode

Nick,I thought (old memory) a lot of video card functions were turned off in windows mode, as well as Vsync?While I am here, I would like to thank you for your excellent and willing help to us simmers. I bought my first addon, GEX, because of your good advice. I also need to thank Bill L and Phil Taylor for their "un-dying" support. People like you make this site a daily must read.DaveDell XPS 720 H2CIntel Quad Core Extreme QX6800 @ 3.73GHz4GB Corsair Dominator EPP 8500C5D 800MHz FSB 1066 MHzNV Raid 0 2x160GB WD SATA Raptors, Sound Blaster X-FiNvidia 2x8800GTX 768MB SLI, Dell 2407WFP PanelXP driver: 169.21, Vista driver: 169.25Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G5 Mouse, Saitek X52WinXP Media Edition SP3 on C:Vista SP1 on D: (Dual Boot)3DMark06: 17,018/6992/7123/5667

Dave,just a quick - and slightly OT - comment/question on your rig. 3.73GHz on the X6800!!! Wow! How do you do it? On air? I wish I could run mine at that speed and have it stable.Also, when did the 160GB version of the Raptor get released?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest Nick_N

Yes Dave, you are correct. Typically if one wishes to have window mode visually clean it requires the software to address AA. In other words AA must be "checked" or enabled in the FSX graphics settings.Vista is known for the desk top task bar causing problems with performance and visual clarity and should be hidden. XP does not seem to exhibit that behavior however in either case, I do recall AA must be enabled in the FSX settings for window mode to display the best image possible.I do not use window mode for anything so I maintain control of image settings through nhancer and the drivers.

>I have a multidisplay setup and I'm trying to put several 2D>and one 3D views in them. Which will be more fps friendly in>FSX with XPSP3 the windowed or nonwindowed mode?>>Tanks!>Regards>Abrupto Both modes work fine on my system, and there is no affect on the fps.

Jeff,The H2C model is water cooled in two stages. I had to wait a couple of weeks for Dell to receive the G0 stepping version in order to hit that speed. The 160GB is Dell's version of the 150GB. Great machine, but SLI is a waste of money. Unless NV can get their act together, which is un likely. Landing lights still have the square black boxes flashing on like the GF256 years ago. A single ATI card may be the best choice, until AMD screws them up.Dave