Sign in to follow this  
beatle

My FSX CRASHES whenever I modify the FSX.cfg file! HELP!

Hello Gang!I recently had to re-install my copy of FSX and ever since I had this re-install done, I can no longer modify my FSX.cfg file without the simulator crashing. It does not matter if I re-install over and over again, the minute I open this file to add, for example the following lines:SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjectsAI_AirplanesorTEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096(very basic stuff I was able to do in the past). The simulator crashes. If I delete de FSX.cfg file and re-start the simulator to let FSX re-build it, it works fine. As soon as I try to modify it and launch the sim, KABOOM.Has anyone seen this before?Any help or words of wisdom???Thanks!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Vista or XP? What are you using to edit the file? I am XP and use TextPad w/o problems.Phill

Guest fsxmissionguy

Dennis,"...the minute I open this file to add ... very basic stuff I was able to do in the past. The simulator crashes."You're not doing this while running FSX are you?(I'm not being flippant ... but how you wrote this suggests to me that maybe you are editing the fsx.cfg while you are running the simulator. I've never tried that, but doesn't sound like a good idea.)Can you clarify?Cheers,

Hi Phil!Vista 64 Ultimate. I've always used Wordpad without issues. Tried switching to Notepad to no avail. The issue is mostly related to the adding of the string "SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjectsAI_Airplanes for some reason. As soon as I add this line to the .cfg file FSX does not like it.Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Hi Kevin!I am doing these changes while FSX is not running. It's almost as if my FSX.cfg gets automatically corrupted the minute I enter this change. It's insane!I dont know what to do!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

>... The issue is mostly>related to the adding of the string>"SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjectsAI_Airplanes for some reason.Uh, yeah. Are you understanding what you're doing? The first six SimObjectPaths are already assigned with 0 thru 5, now you're adding a duplicate entry using #1.SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjectsAirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjectsRotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjectsGroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjectsBoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjectsAnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjectsMiscTry using the next available number in the sequence and see if it works. You don't mention "where" in FSX.cfg you're putting your edit, but if you keep it with all the other entries it will make it a little easier and clearer to debug.

Hello MeshMan!Thanks for your reply!I have tried adding it as #6 and also as #1, while changing the other strung's sequence numbers to no avail. I seem to be able to make other changes to the FSX.cfg file just fine and have the sim work fine - the issue comes up as soon as i add this particular line. Very Mysterious!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

Guest UlfB

Hi,Does FSX crash if you only change the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 in your fsx.cfg file (the fsx.cfg file in the folder "C:UsersAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSX")?Are all aircraft config files located in the subfolders of the folder AI_Airplanes compatible with FSX and correct?Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Hey Dennis,From the sounds of it, sounds like you have a bad aircraft container somewhere under the AI subdir you are trying to add. Have you applied all the FSX patches to match the level you were patched to before when adding this line worked (ie if you were on SP2 before, have you applied up through SP2 again)?

Hello Tim! Hello Everyone!Thanks to all of you for your replies. Little by little they drove me to the bottom of the issue. As Tim mentioned, it had all to do with SP2. Let me explain:Before I embarked in this hiatus of re-installing FSX I was on SP2 with Acceleration. It wasn't until I purchased the FlyMex Mexican Airports addon (excellent package) and installed it that I realized it would not work well with SP2 - it works well with SP1 but not SP2. In an effort to try to take advantage of my newly acquired package, I decided to completely de-install FSX and all of it's related programs and start from scratch and only upgrade to SP1. Well - sounds simple but as everything else related to Microsoft - not quite. Apparently the SP2 install touches a lot of folders, including your Aircraft/AI_Aircraft folders and makes some modifications that going forward, only work with SP2. If you try to downgrade or start over you cannot utilize your AI_Aircraft folder with a clean install or SP1 because it has been configured to only work with SP2. That is the reason why the FSX.cfg was always coughing up every time I added the additional AI Aircraft line. As soon as I upgraded to SP2 again - Voila! Problem solved. Only thing is that I cannot install my Mexican package.Live and learn.Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

Well, AI_Aircraft isn't one of our standard subdirectories, so I don't think the SP2 install would have touched anything in it directly. Possibly one or more AI aircraft you have installed in that subdir were designed/modified for SP2 only?Glad to hear its otherwise working again :->