Sign in to follow this  
jmig

VFR to IFR request...

Something I have been wondering about. Lets say you are on a VFR flight from airport "A" to airport "B". Sometime during the flight you decide that you would like to change to an IFR flight plan, so as to go to airport "C". In real life, how does a pilot go about requesting this. I guess what I don't understand is that you are requesting an IFR flight, but the starting point is "in the air". Does the pilot contact flight services via radio? Is this possible? I do not think this is possible within our FSX flight simulator? I do use Radar Contact, but don't see how to do this.Thanks,Jim

In real life you would contact the controlling facility for the airspace you are in (appropriate frequency found on charts or gps units) and ask for an ifr clearance.In fsx-I am pretty sure you just go to the flight planner and "file" your plan.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

That is correct...and in FSX, you then contact ATC and ask for IFR clearance to so-and-so airport.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Using default ATC, you just need to load up a plan in the Flight Planner, and you will see the option in the ATC menu to get IFR Clearance - wherever your plane is.I don't think RC4 can do it. You have to be on the ground in RC4 to get clearance - which is why you need to save flights if you want to later load a RC4 in-flight situation, so to speak.A small enough drawback, given the huge improvement RC4 represents, on the whole, over the default.

Paul Skol

Guest JimC1702

One of the neatest things I've ever seen in Flightsim was flying VFR to Utica, NY with real weather. As I approached the airport, I called the tower for landing clearance and was denied, stating the airport was under IFR conditions. I had to file an IFR flight plan on the fly and then was able to land. Good stuff!JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

When you load an IFR flight plan in flight, be sure and say NO to the question: "Do you want FSX to move you airplane to the ..."If you say"Yes" guess what? You are back at the starting line.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset