Sign in to follow this  
rjmck

sound too loud

A couple of my add-ons have a very loud and very annoying inverter or aircon packs sound that is constant and can drown out most other cockpit sounds... also this sound does not go off when you hit the Q button for sound off -- it is always there as long as the battery is on!How can one soften the sound or eliminate it??any ideas welcomeRon

Guest NoobPilot

You could just turn down your speaker volume.

Guest George M

If you can find the offending sound(s) in sound.cfg, try adding:maximum_volume=nto the corresponding section(s), where n can be from 0 to 10000. From the SDK docs:"Volume is specified in 1/100dB units, with a value of 10,000 being the maximum possible volume."Play with the value to find the level you like.

>If you can find the offending sound(s) in sound.cfg,That won't work with this type sound. The fact that the Q key is ineffective means that the sound is being triggered by a gauge, and that the sound is using DirectSound rather than the FS sound system.The only solution in this case was the suggestion to edit the .wav file in a sound editor (such as the freeware Audacity) and reduce the sound level...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest George M

Is there anything you don't know? :)Seriously, I've learned a lot from your posts here and elsewhere. I appreciate the time and effort you spend answering questions.

Guest fsxmissionguy

No, there is not anything that he does not know (or can't find out from someone who does know.)

Many thanks for the replies.I have started the detective work and found a couple of the "offending" .wav files ; with Audacity I have lowered their volume to an acceptable level, and life is tolerable again in the cockpit!Actually, one add-on designer in his FAQ explains the sound and sells it as strength of his product, saying that in the real aircraft inverter noise was almost overwhelming! But at least real life pilots had headphones to hear ATC etc that mostly blocked out the noise, whereas in the add-on it cannot be reduced or switched off. A matter of tatse maybe.Thanks again for help.Ron