Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

ILS 18R at KDFW

Have a quick question for anyone who flys into KDFW. The other day I was practicing ILS approaches at KDFW on 18R and it seems that something is not right with the glide slope for 18R. As you get to about 1.5 or 2 miles from the threshold the glide slope indicator goes north indicating that I am way to low when I am actually coming in a little high. Now, I was hand flying the approach, so I thought maybe it was my error. I did a go around and this time set it up for an autoland. Everything was fine, tracked the glide slope down to the last 2 miles or so, then the glide slope needle goes up again. I did this in the Level-D 767. I tried a few other rwy's and they seemed fine.Is this a problem with the default AFCAD? Or something I have done? The only change I made was to install the Terminal D package here in the library. After that is when I noticed it, but I have since deleted it from the addon scenery manager and manually deleted the file. Tried it again with stock KDFW and still the same for that rwy.I had noticed that the addon Terminal D package had an afcad that was developed using ADE and if I remember right in another post I read, ADE can screw up nav aids. However since I uninstalled the scenery it's still the same. As much as I like the Terminal D package it caused me a bit of a hit in frames and also one OOM crash.I would like to know if anyone else has this problem with KDFW on their machine. I have yet to find a KDFW AFCAD for FSX yet. There is none on Avsims file library.Regards,Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, I read that link you posted. I removed the Terminal D scenery that I downloaded here and it seems that the ILS are back to normal on all but that runway, 18R. It'e weird that I don't have any other AFCADS in the area, except an actuall FS9 AFCAD in Fort Wort for the Naval Airstation. I guess the default 18R glideslope is messed up from Microsoft. I am also surprised that the fellow who made the Terminal D addon didn't fix that runway when he made the AFCAD for FSX. I guess I will try to contact him, I think his name is Rhett. Worse case, I just will have to make a mental note not to land on that runway when in a STAR.

Hello!I was the original poster that reported the issue with 18R at KDFW. The stock airport is fine - there is no issues with it or the ILS. Rhett's Terminal D addon is not the issue either. The issue lies with some sort of an AFCAD file (AFX file most likely), either near the vicinity of KDFW or even in the region. Look hard because I can guarantee you there is an airport AFCAD in that region that has a conflicting frequency with the KDFW 18R frequency.Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Dennis,What range do I need to look? I think the closest one is in the Houston area. An airport called Ellington, I think. How many miles away can a bad FSX AFCAD effect DFW? I wouldn't think Houston would, but I am no expert, so I really have no idea. Thanks for the input. You are using the Terminal D with no problem? I have already removed the MAIW Ft. Worth AFCAD and still the problem persists. I will continue to investigate.Sean

Guest JimC1702

The AFX issue involves Navaids in a 30 mile radius. I think Ellington is too far from KDFW.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

Guest Nils79

Hi Jim,i'm not sure if i understood the solution for the problem.Will the problem be solved by just recompiling your files with ADE?And is it safe to do so or will ADE strip out other informations? Thanks in advance!

>Hi Jim,>i'm not sure if i understood the solution for the problem.>Will the problem be solved by just recompiling your files with>ADE?>And is it safe to do so or will ADE strip out other>informations? Thanks in advance!Nils:I used ADE to make the afcad portion of the scenery--there is no issue with my scenery.The problem is with another scenery that you have installed--you likely have an AFX-created file in there somewhere, that is the culprit.What you need to do is look for any other scenery you have in the area, that was made using AFX.I do not know if simply loading that file into ADE and recompiling will fix the problem--you would need to ask Jon or one of the ADE guys to know for sure.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Nils79

Thanks for your response Rhett!I understood that some of Jim's airport files are causing this problem (not his fault! And i guess not only his AFX airport files are affected). I tried do delete the "user made" navaids of a few of his airports in AFX, but i had to do this 2-3 times for some airports and i have pretty much AFX files, so to change them manually is certainly not a solution.I thought Scott has only recompiled the file with ADE and i guess that would be a lot easier than checking all navaids.

>AFCAD in Fort Wort for the Naval Airstation. I guess the>default 18R glideslope is messed up from Microsoft. I tested 18R and didn't have any problems. Tonight I will test it again just to make sure. That would be a pretty big error to leave in, as I fly into 18R on DFW sometimes, too.>I am also>surprised that the fellow who made the Terminal D addon didn't>fix that runway when he made the AFCAD for FSX. I am that fellow :). Since I found no problem, there wasn't anything for me to fix.You see, I did not alter the ILS RWY 18R code at all in my scenery. What you get is what Microsoft gave, and what Microsoft gave is correct at least in my testing.Recently, I was made aware of this issue with some AFX-created airports--that they are doing something strange with the navaid records in the bgl--and that this can wreak havoc with nearby ILS transmitters.Take a look at your Fort Worth NAS scenery file(s). Perhaps it was made with AFX?At any rate, I will re-visit 18R at DFW to make sure it's working properly in my scenery.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

Thanks Rhett. I really love the terminal you made. The only AFCAD I have in the area was an actual FS9 AFCAD for the Navel Air Station in FT. Worth. I will remove it and try it out. I actually am going to remove a lot of the World Of AI AFCAD that are placed in their military packages since they were made for FS9 and messed up some of my other airports. I will try yours again tonight and report back.Sean

Guest JimC1702

Yeah, using the afcads that come with MAIW military AI will definitely cause you problems in FSX. I uploaded a fix for my Fort Worth NAS so it will no longer interfere with DFW. I don't think ADE will automatically fix AFX files, however you can open them and manually remove the Navaids for the nearby airports from the .bgl and save it. As pointed out, it can be very tedious in some areas of the country. My newest files don't have this problem as I make sure the Navaids are removed prior to uploading. But it'a a pain and hopefully the developer will have a fix soon so it won't be necessary.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

Rhett and Sean,The DFW scenery is just great and I have had not problems with the addon. I fly out of KDFW all the time, since I live here in DFW and work at Terminal D. I fly with the LDS 767 and have not had any problem on approaches to any runway with the new addon to KDFWBobDallas.

>Thanks Rhett. I really love the terminal you made. The only>AFCAD I have in the area was an actual FS9 AFCAD for the Navel>Air Station in FT. Worth. I will remove it and try it out. I>actually am going to remove a lot of the World Of AI AFCAD>that are placed in their military packages since they were>made for FS9 and messed up some of my other airports. I will>try yours again tonight and report back.>Sean,I tested again last night and there were no problems with the ILS on Rwy 18R. My aircraft intercepted and tracked right down the ILS just fine.I think some other installed scenery is interfering with yours. I am not sure what it might be. RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

>Rhett and Sean,>>The DFW scenery is just great and I have had not problems with>the addon. I fly out of KDFW all the time, since I live here>in DFW and work at Terminal D. I fly with the LDS 767 and>have not had any problem on approaches to any runway with the>new addon to KDFW>>Bob>>Dallas. Thanks Bob and I am glad you like it; it is not perfect as I could make it if I spend 40 more hours on it, but I wanted to add the missing Terminal building as quickly as possible.Your LevelD 767 should have several spots to park there at the new Terminal--I made some spots specially-sized for the 767.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett