Sign in to follow this  
Guest mephix

Flight model and the real world pilot (opinion requeste...

Guest thx1137

In your situation it sounds like you had no frame of reference which can make things a lot more scarier than normal.I am not a fan of heights, it depends on how safe I feel and/or the kind of movement I am experiencing at the time. I thought a spin in a plane would scare the #### out of me, I hate roller coasters and such, wont go near them, but the spin was awesome because a) I trust the instructor and :( I am in control of what is happening (indirectly as I can say "I don't want to do a X" or directly because I have control)Even if you are afraid of heights it may be worth trying the first introductory lesson. The worst that can happen is you demand an immediate landing and you spend no more than 6 minutes or so in the air. I would consider it if you can stand looking from the top of a very tall building without feeling too bad. Steven.

Guest grapesh

>Fantastic replies so far, thanks so much. Mike I got goose>bumps when I read your post. Although your suggestion to get>out there and actually fly sounds fantastic, it

>Most pilots have a fear of heights (I do). We had a>conversation at a pilot breakfast a few weeks ago-and all at>the table -from a 747 pilot to me admitted to it....>Go for it! >http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/Geof, that reminds me I was OK on the FOH thing until my instructor cleared me for solo within 50 mile radius of the home drome. Out one day in the C150 having a blast at 3K and looked straight down and past the left gear and like to hyperventilated over the feeling...Put my focus back on flying the plane and it instantly went away but for a while I refused to look at that view...crazy how certain things effect pilots:-)To the other poster. Go for it, you won't regret it:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>Most pilots have a fear of heights (I do). We had a>conversation at a pilot breakfast a few weeks ago-and all at>the table -from a 747 pilot to me admitted to it....>Go for it! I have no fear of altitude in regards to flight, but you'll never see me scaling 1200' vertical canyon walls, or bungee jumping off bridges either. However, I'll walk very close to a cliffs edge, knowing I better keep my balance!L.Adamson

Guest luftwaffle

yeah the previous poster was right. I certainly feel that the adrenaline is what makes real world flying different from simulated flying.Take a stall for instance. I have always been afraid of doing them...I mean, what's the point, I know what can happen from the sim, I don't intend to do one in real life ever, right? ;)But you still need to be prepared for it so you do it in real life, you have to get over yourself. It's pretty unpleasant hanging there by the prop, the shaking, the different noise, the mushy controls. MSFS cannot replicate that feeling.

I have a fear of heights!!! I hate heights, but I love flying more (just barely!) :-lol

"...is there a payware/freeware/anyware aircraft that gives you that

Mike Beckwith

Mike, you've done an excellent job of describing the sensory overload we've all experienced when the "juice" is flowing.Amazing how the adrenaline level recedes a bit as we heed the instructors wisdom and our focus becomes "just fly the plane" or the timeless "Aviate, Navigate,Communicate":-)I'm sure you remember the day you discovered that your instructor was distracting you abeam the numbers or on turn to base or final on "purpose".I asked an older instructor why mine was attempting to distract me in those busy situations and will never forget his answer..."People teach themselves to fly, our job is to keep them alive until they can do that for themselves.:-) :-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Very interesting thoughts about pilots and "fear of heights". I've had my PPL for over 30 years now, and looking back to when I first started pilot training, it brings back a lot of memories.For me, "fear of heights" was relative. I had skydived for over a year before I started my PPL training. Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane didn't scare me, because I trusted the equipment (parachutes, etc) and myself to make it all work. But when I started my PPL, there was an "apprehension" that my Instructor picked up on pretty quickly. We narrowed it down to my concern about things like the engine quitting, etc. He solved that one very quickly. We were flying in the "practice area", and he reached over and turned the key completely off...the engine stopped dead. I was shocked! Nothing like seeing the prop stop dead in front of you to get your adrenaline flowing. He then said, "Fly the airplane. Pick a place to land it. If you do it right, you'll live." Best lesson he ever gave me. From that day on, I knew that I could trust the airplane even if the engine quit, and if I was cognizent enough to keep my head screwed on straight and do what was necessary, I'd "survive" the situation. No more "fear of heights" per say while flying.But to this day, if I walk close to the edge of a cliff, I still get that "uncertain" feeling. A little scared. Because of the height. Human nature, I think. I'd have no control over the outcome if I slipped and fell over the edge.It's all relative a lot of times.FalconAFPS - Second best lesson my Instructor gave me. Shortly after rotation on takeoff (in a Cessna 150 on a 5000 foot runway) he had me look left out my window at something. Next thing I know, I hear the engine die. I turned back and said, "WHAT THE F*CK ???!!!". Of course, he said, "My airplane" and took the controls, pushed the nose down, and landed it back on the runway. He had pulled the throttle all the way back when I looked out my window. We stopped on the runway (he had "pre-coordinated" the "emergency engine out" with the Tower ATC), then calmly looked at me and said, "Always remember...'What the F*ck' won't keep the airplane flying and keep you alive. Right now, if I wasn't here, you'd be dead. React...do what you have been trained to do. It will keep you alive."Bless his heart!

Rick Ryan

Guest luftwaffle

if your instructor actually stopped the engine, rather than just retarding the throttle, well....he is the retard!The purpose of lessons is to simulate emergencies, not to recreate them. If you have a good engine, stooping it is inviting disaster since you can't be sure it will start back again in time to save you.

Guest bjamieson

>if your instructor actually stopped the engine, rather than>just retarding the throttle, well....he is the retard!Bit harsh...... and, kind of depends on whether or not you fly stuff where engine failures are 'commonplace'.I have had three different engine failures with three different types of engines. I quite LIKE the fact that I routinely practice 'deadstick' landings. I imagine that these guys (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7194086.stm) are pleased that they too practice for catastrophies (albeit in a simulator)...But back to the question - I like all the realairsimulation types ;-)cheers,Brian

>if your instructor actually stopped the engine, rather than>just retarding the throttle, well....he is the retard!>>The purpose of lessons is to simulate emergencies, not to>recreate them. Maybe...maybe not. Thirty-five years ago, it was common practice to NOT get "spin training" during a PPL course. The reason given was it was "too hard on the aircraft and caused things like gyro-lock and raised repair costs." That lasted for a few years until the FAA noticed a lot of "new" pilots were getting killed in spin-related accidents, due to poor recovery techniques, or no recovery techniques at all. That was the policy at the flight school I attended also. The instructors could not teach us spins. Couldn't even SHOW us one in the "company" aircraft. My instructor (same guy) thought that was insane...so one day he took me up in HIS own aircraft and taught them to me. No charge. I bought us both lunch after it. Doesn't seem to be "retarded" to me at all. More like an instructor who was concerned about making sure he did everything possible to prepare me for a PPL.

Rick Ryan

I am a real world pilot with many thousands of hours. Most of my time is in corporate jets, that I flew for 35 years before retirement. To give an exact answer to your question, I would have to answer no (in regard to FSX) but yes to FS9 (please no bashing here). The following is the best I ever saw. Using a P2V (Alphasim) flying direct from KSFO to Hawaii, using a bubble sextant for navigation, flying the trip real time, using VATSIM for departure, real weather, flying through the night (3 star fixes) and making a landing. When I finished that, I thought it was as closs to the real thing as it gets.All of this (except for the plane) is to be found in the Avsim library.Good luck!Ed

Guest jshyluk

My opinion is that FSX is more about wish fulfilment than it is about realism, much like any other video game or commercial sim. Certainly as a Reviewer, that's how I approach my reviews. Maybe only Gen. Chuck Yeager has the experience of being rated in the real world in so many different and varied aircraft as we see in FSX.I think realism in flight has to do with running every checklist meticulously, and scrubbing the flight even if a bulb is burnt out. It's about figuring out how to pay for the fuel. It has to be about making the safest possible choice at every juncture. Maybe its about long stretches of boredom with little to do and either a staticky radio or a dispassionate co-pilot as your only company. There's also the real possibility of getting killed. I would guess that most of us personally knew someone who was involved in a crash of some sort, or if not that, then know someone who knew someone. As the EULA tells us, Flight Sim is for entertainment. It's reasonably realistic, depending on your computer system and gaming peripherals. A while back, there was a thread by a sim pilot who was having trouble operating rudders. It turn out his keyboard was his controller. Of course, that's going to be unrealistic. Still, how much do you want to pay for realism versus wish fulfilment? It's been suggested in this thread already, and I think it's a good idea: if you want the ultimate in realistic flight, hire an airplane and fly for yourself!Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM