Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

Looking for an old Piper Archer

Either freeware or payware that has the same old school stack of instruments that a real life Archer has at my local field. Unfortunately that rules out the latest Dreamfleet Archer III. I understand both Dreamfleet and Carenado have old Archer's available for purchase but are either one of them fully compatible with FSX? Anything that can be recommended on the freeware side of things?

Guest JimC1702

See if this one suits your needs:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=117541Search the library for Rien Cornelissen. He also has a Warrior, Arrow, and Seminole.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

Yes, both the Dreamfleet Archer and Carenado Cherokee F (and I think the Carenado Archer, too) work in FSX. I use both. The DF is a little smoother and easier to fly, the Cherokee F is a little more "realistic" in speeds and handling compared to my own plane, but a little "touchy".Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>Yes, both the Dreamfleet Archer and Carenado Cherokee F (and>I think the Carenado Archer, too) work in FSX.Hmmm. I guess you're not running FSX SP2?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

The Cherokee works fine in SP2 Bert....Just flew it last evening, and it works great. Actually out performs the ported Carenado Cessna models in terms of frame rates.Kinda getting 'long in the tooth' compared to some newer models, but Carenado really did a great job with the Cherokee (my goodness, when was it released?...6....7 years ago?), and it can still hold its own against much of the competition.Cannot speak for the Archer.....but highly highly recommend the new Dakota. The Eaglesoft Twin Comanche, Dreamfleet Dakota, and Carenado Mooney have the most hours of all my FSX 'fleet'. All three great offerings. I put many hours on that Dakota since it was released.

Guest awheeler

Another possible option. http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=archer01Payware but cheap. Was "updated" to FS2004 but I've been flying it in FSX. Everything works in FSX but the bubble in the turn and bank indicator. I like flying it because I have painted it in the colors of my son's Archer II and the panel is very close to his in configuration. The handling characteristics also seem to be fairly accurate.

Thanks for pointing that out Brian. But which Cherokee are you talking about? You mention it being released six or seven years ago, so it must be the Archer or even the Dakota, right?My comment should have been more focused on Carenado's Archer and Dakota, which are no go's under FSX Acceleration, at least on my system; in the vc there are actually parts of the textures missing, meaning you can look straight outside behind the rudder pedals :) Don't you have this problem?I agree on all your favourites. The only one I'm having doubts about is the Dreamfleet Dakota. Not because of its quality ofcourse; it is a Dreamfleet plane and I rate them very high. It's just that the plane and panel layout is to specific. I haven't been able to find a single picture of a Dakota cockpit that looks like Lou Betti's plane. I would have preferred an older style panel :)

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

I know it's a warrior, but it's basically almost the same plane? Have you had a look at the Aussim Warrior - they are in the process of making it full FSX SP2 capable and they do an "old" version.

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

I was speaking about the Carenado Cherokee. With SP2, no, their Dakota does not work, and the Archer was probably the only Carenado offering I never purchased....but...As far as Lou's plane, well, it is modeled after his actual aircraft, which he has modified. It is his plane. I don't expect it to be 'generic', and personally, I love it. It is one of my favorites in FSX.Now, I have fitted the older paint scheme model with more traditional radios via my Friendly Panel pack, and slid the RXP Garmin 430 way over to the auxiliary right panel. I did leave the combo STEC 30 AP/Turn coordinator, as Lou stated he did not feel the Dakota would be certified for a newer Bendix unit.