Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dr_Dre121

XP to Vista conversion....

Guest Dr_Dre121

Hi all!I just built a new computer and was given Windows Vista Home Basic x64 (bit). I've had FSX installed on XP (32 bit) for quite a while now, and I'm looking at swaping FSX to the new Vista PC. HOWEVER.....I don't really want to completely install all of my addons (and FSX for that matter), so I'd like to just copy the files from the XP pc to the Vista pc somehow. I have a network setup to do this, but I'm not sure where everything goes in Vista (CFG, registry locations etc), or if it will even work. I've just started copying data over now, but I'd like to know if it's going to work before I waste my time...Can anyone please suggest how to do it quickly???Any help at all will be greatly appreciated (I hate re-installing FSX!!!)Thanks,Danny

I know someone who tried this and it seemed to work:1) Install FSX in Vista and update it to SP1,SP2, Acceleration to match your XP install.2) Rename the Vista install as FSXoriginal3) Move the XP install to Vista4) You then have to backup and update/copy the config files that are not in the main FSX directory, ie fsx.cfg etc.... Personally I'd just reinstall all to keep it clean but you can try the above I guess.

I imagine it's possible to make FSX work by copying it over. However, I strongly recommend against it. You'll be much better off going through the installation routine, at least for FSX and the whichever updates you are going to use. Then you can go through and compare your gauges and sounds and etc. etc. directories and add your addons. Even so, I'd also suggest going through the installation process for your addons, as well, especially the payware ones. In my experience, you don't save any time in the end.Either way, I highly recommend a program called winmerge to help you in your endeavor. It allows you to quickly compare directories and shows you missing files and different files, etc.. www.winmerge.orgThomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Copying the files will not work UNLESS you have *ALL* the registry entries correct. One mistake and it could be a mess. Bite the bullet and uninstall and reinstall. FWIW, I still think FSX runs better on XP - the DX10 'features' aren't worth the effort.To each his own....Q6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx XG 174.74 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest Dr_Dre121

Thanks for your help eveyone...I copyed all my files directly accross last night and it didn't work. The error I'm getting is something about a side-by-side configuration problem, so I think I'll just do a clean re-install. I'm not looking foward to it becasue I've already done it about 12 times on XP, and am expexting LOTS of problems with vista! Thanks anyway,Danny