Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Disassembled a/c??

Every so often , this happens to my a/c - looks like somebody has assembled a plastic model a/c incorrectly, parts either missing or in the wrong place. In the case below, the a/c steering wheel is upside down and the rudder pedals are missing.Sometimes the external a/c model looks like it has been blown apart by a bomb!!Any ideas pleasehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190246.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190247.jpg

Corrupted external model, that's a memory issue that will happen with certain configs from time to time. Reboot the machine and hope it doesn't happen again.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi MaceThanks for your reply - although I have to say that it is a little cryptic for me and don't really understand what you are saying. I note that nobody else has commented on my "problem" - perhaps this is something that others have not seen before? I don't know. This situation only happens sometimes - as an example, it appeared suddenly when I loaded a standard MS Mission. This mission does start in an area of the world that does have low FPS for me - ie the Seattle area - and also the weather associated with this mission also has "flashing" cumulous clouds - something which also only happens occasionally.I have a distinct feeling that most of my FSx flying is quite good in quiet areas of the world - but as soon as I enter other areas of the world, strange things happen. It is not just a matter of low FPS in those areas - which also may have happened with FS9 - but more a matter of FSx doing strange things when under stress. FS9 did not do this - if overburdened, it merely produced low FPS, "blurries" or "stutters" It appears to me that when FSx is a little overstressed it does all kinds of "weird" things - like the example of my screenshots. Trouble is - you never really know when it is going to happen. My experience with Fsx has been quite good - until , all of a sudden , things like this happen.Surely I am not alone here??

Guest fsxmissionguy

Barry,He's saying that your computer probably doesn't have enough memory (either in RAM, or on your video card) to run FSX properly in every location. (Some locations require more memory than other locations.)You might want to post your computers' specifications to get more information (CPU, RAM, Video Card and driver version, # of processes running while you are using FSX ... that sort of information.)You may not alone, but you are in the minority. Few report these problems usually because they upgrade when they notice them.I never experience problems like this on a computer that is optimized for FSX (that means that I've taken actions to minimize the use of other software on this computer.) (Single-core Pentium.)Turn your Complexity Sliders down ... these problems are reduced.Cheers,

Hi KevinI only have a 256 meg vid card - and MEMSTATUS reports video consumption getting close to this. I can reduce vid RAM usage by lowering the "level of detail radius" and frankly, I can't really see much difference onscreen.The strange thing about this is that it is random (when it happens). On 2 occasions now, I have had this problem when running 2 of the default missions - on both occasions, replacing the included mission Wx files with clear weather files from elsewhere has cured the "problem"I could probably do with a newer 512 meg vid card - but can't really justify the expense. RegardsBarry

Barry,As Kevin points out, vid mem is an issue. So is system memory.Also DirectX corruption is another cause of what you saw.I wasn't really any more cryptic than you were, :) (you didn't post any specs) so it's a little more difficult to be precise when you don't know exactly what you're dealing with. Good thing is, that I have personally seen the issue you speak of (on my old computer which had a 256 meg vid card), and in fact, others have too (there was a thread here with a screenshot one time last year, and someone saw their aircraft corrupted in a bizarre fashion).It could have any number of causes but among them are vid mem, sys mem, directx, and heat or failing hardware. I doubt you have heat or failing hardware. It's probably the 256 megs of vid mem getting over saturated.Nothing a reboot won't fix, usually...hopefully.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

Thanks for that RhettWhy would a reboot be necessary? I notice that when I shut down FSx, MEMSTATUS reports that vid RAM usage has been reduced to zero.Regards Barry

>Thanks for that Rhett>>Why would a reboot be necessary? I notice that when I shut>down FSx, MEMSTATUS reports that vid RAM usage has been>reduced to zero.>>Regards >>BarryYou can just shut down FSX if you want, but to be sure, I would reboot the whole box. The reason being, if it is not JUST video mem that is to blame...if it is a combination of system mem and vid mem, and possibly something else such as a driver glitch--then a reboot of the system would certainly kill the problem, at least until it happens again. RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

Guest PilotHeinrich

I would sometimes see this if I set BufferPools to some extremely high number. Have you done that?

Typically, this wierd effect is the result of either a missing texture, or a texture that for whatever reason failed to get read, or the video buffer has gotten corrupted.The last case is where a cold reboot is most often the "cure..."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator