Sign in to follow this  
Guest southie4

How to suspend time for flying at Sunset/Sunrise in FSX...

Folks,Has anyone come across any software/utility that enables FSX time (as opposed to the PC time) to be suspended so that it would be possible to fly at Sunset or Sunrise for an indefinite period of time?The colours and atmosphere are always tremendous at those times.Many thanks.Paul

Guest fsxmissionguy

Paul,I'm not an expert on the FSX .cfg file ... but there's an entry in there that looks like this:[sIM]SYSCLOCK=1I bet if you change that value to 0 ... you would stop time. Why not try it and report back.Cheers,

>SYSCLOCK=1>>I bet if you change that value to 0 ... you would stop time.>Why not try it and report back.Kev,Thank you very much for your suggestion. I just modifying the fsx.cfg file as you suggested but unfortunately time still advances (verified by going to the 'World' menu option then 'Time & Season' and the Aircraft clock).Paul

Hi Paul,An unusual request to say the least. You can't stop FS time but you can slow it down. Use the time acceleration option and select something slower than x1. The sunset won't last forever but will last a lot longer.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>Paul,>>I'm not an expert on the FSX .cfg file ... but there's an>entry in there that looks like this:>>[sIM]>SYSCLOCK=1>>I bet if you change that value to 0 ... you would stop time.>Why not try it and report back.>>Cheers,No this setting doesn't stop time, what it does, is tell whether the sim should start in actual time of day for the time zone your in, (SYSCLOCK=1) or the time when the scenario was saved, (SYSCLOCK=0) sort of like when you load a saved flight. Also stopping time would cause other problems if say you used AI, since AI is scheduled by time, it wouldn't work properly, if at all. If you want try an Artic circle route. I flew a late afternoon San Francisco to Heathrow flight last month, taking the Artic route and never saw complete darkness.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I grab screenshots, and will soon start recording. Then you can watch it all over again!Have Fun,KailFlightSimmer since 1987C2D E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSBXFX Nforce 680i LT SLI2x XFX 8800GT 512MB SLI'd4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800MHzCreative SB Audigy2 ZSUltra Xfinity 600W SLI PSUSeagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA-3GB/S HDWindows XP SP2 / FSX SP2 / FS9 SP1

Thanks for listening,

Kail

At 0.5X I'd say around twice as long Ray ;)

I see you got O-Level Maths! :-lolI didn't have my FSX machine running so had to guess the options available.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest dswo

>An unusual request to say the least. You can't stop FS time>but you can slow it down. Use the time acceleration option and>select something slower than x1. The sunset won't last forever>but will last a lot longer.Won't this also slow down your airplane?

Won't this also slow down your airplane? Yes it will but there's no alternative to seeing the sunset for longer.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest fsxmissionguy

Well, that's not entirely true.You could get in an SR-71 and head West. Flown at a high enough altitude and latitude, the sun would never set.Cheers,

Yes, that would work. Concorde could beat the sun and would land in New York one hour later than departing London travelling at Mach 2.02. I'd guess that M1.75 at FL520 should leave the sun stationary.Something tells me the OP probably isn't going to go to that extreme for what is a pretty strange requirement in the first place.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well, to be honest i don't find it a strange request. Sunup en sundown are the most beautifull times in FSX, i sometimes wish they last longer too.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

Personally I find sunrise / sunset to be most unrealistic with stars visible when the sun is still above the horizon. Hopefully ACES will finlly sort this out with FSXI.As for flying with time stood still all I can say is each to their own.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The obvious and simple solution is to fly the flight again. You only have to click on the reset flight button after landing.:-)

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.