Sign in to follow this  
Guest JIMJAM

Xtreme Prototypes X-15

Guest JIMJAM

Bought it and since they have no forum and I cannot find any postings on it, I want to start one.Tip-No forum,no buy.The reviewer with sp2 hit the 100000 ft limit yet buried within the mountain of documentation, they say mach 4 plus and 300000 like the real x-15 is possible with sp2.They say "some" users of 1.0 have problems. This is 1.1 with the VC which they appear to be stating fixed this problem.I cannot break 80000 and I am running sp2/Acceleration.Whether I take off from a runway or start at altitude, at around 60000 ,the acceleration and mach number decrease quickly and I am LUCKY to hit 70 to 80 grand.It will be sometime while I dig through the lenghty procedures so I am using the "magic" red button which automatically sets the plane up and using unlimited fuel..If anyone has the 1.1 X-15 and wants to add anything,confirm the 100000 ft limit or hopefully, explain how to acheive altitudes and speeds per the real plane, feel free to JUMP IN:-)

Guest JIMJAM

Emailed them a second time and got a quick response."We have done some tests and discovered that Microsoft has changed thesimulation environment in the Acceleration Pack resulting in the speedand altitude limitations you are experiencing.We have started working on a patch that we hope will solve this issue inthe Acceleration Pack. In the mean time we recommend using ServicePack 2 in FSX for our X-15 addons."-The only reason I has Accel loaded was because the Iris F-20 TigerShark HAS to use the f-18s hud.So I uninstalled Accel and uninstalled and reinstalled the X-15.If you do not the cockpit textures are missing.So on the runway at Edwards,sure miss the Accel base, I poured the coals and the X-15 rapidly Accelerated. I saw 100 grand flash by and the sky became black with stars showing.I quickly shut it down and the X-15 continued to climb at mach 4 plus.The mach number decreased but th4e x-15 continued upwards and topped out at 250 thousand! I have since been well over 300 grand.At that altitude you have NO control and basically flop around.I slowly fell as its not really a glide until I started getting some mushy control at 120 grand.Nose down with little control and mushy until around 60 grand then I slowly got control back.Its a rush.So the problem appears to be Acceleration.Hope this helps someone.

I have already emailed the Xtreme folks about this, but - having just read an autobiography by an X-15 test pilot, I am very intrigued by this add-on but I have to say that I will probably wait for a version where the X-15 is carried aloft and launched from a B-52. Having to fly this aircraft off the ground shatters the illusion of reality for me.Apparently doing the B-52 thing is non-trivial to code, but - I'm still gonna wait.BTW this is the book I read: http://www.amazon.com/At-Edge-Space-Flight.../ref=pd_sim_b_2. Great stuff. cheers,Dave B.

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest JIMJAM

Some preset missions start you at altitude at various locations.You can also easily slew.I pull back on the stick,y and hit f4 I think it is.By the time I am at 40-45 grand, I am at a good distance from the landing area and it works out great.From that altitude I just unslew and it drops into a glide then I fire up the rocket.There are some problems and limitations as I found out but appear to be FSX limits.I stopped the rocket around 150 mach 3 plus and it continued its climb and I hit 350 thousand.My personal record.I had no control at all and the x-15 just flops around but never coming down.Lost in space.Hit slew to stop the almost barf inducing spinning and angled it down and it eventually began reentry but now I was over 90 miles from Tonapah. I ended up doing a emergency landing at AR51.With unlimited fuel off, you got ONE chance!You have good but loose control up around 100-150 grand where most of my test flights are done.The reaction rockets to control the rocket in space do nothing. You can activate and control the stick but no effect.Its tricky but I am having fun experimenting which is what this plane is all about.Not having a VC was a show stopper for me but I really do not miss the b-52 drop.I think you will enjoy the X-15 and I am looking forward to the later models being fitted with Vcs.

Guest tcable

I read that book some time back. Great read on the 'forgotten' X-15.It's where the bulk of the aerodynamic data for the Space Shuttle came from, and probably the last of the true X Projects from NASA.Tim