Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

Kahiwa Falls?

Guest ssurjap

Flying the Hawaii Check flight, the tour guide mentions Kahiwa Falls and I should try to find it. I've flow that coast up and down and I still can't see it. I've even Googled it and found the exact coordinates and flew to it (while on the mission), but I still can't find it.Anyone find it and can give me any clues?Thanks.

Guest fsxmissionguy

If you're searching for the actual waterfall (as an animation like the Niagra falls) you won't find it. It isn't included in the scenery.World famous waterfalls (such as those in Yellowstone National Park) are definitely on my feature request list for vNext. And not to start a rant ... but there are scenery features on Earth whose absence from Flight Simulator are just unconscionable.Scenery such as Maccu Piccu, the Great Wall of China, the step-pyramids of Chitzen Itza, the limestone city of Petra ... how are these things not modeled? These are the new Seven Wonders of the World and they should be represented in the Core engine.What else is missing that you wish was in the simulator?Lots of people purchase flight simulator to use as an Earth exploration tool. Some people don't even fly ... they just slew around using FSX like a 3D Google Earth.

Guest cbuchner1

That's why I think a Wiki-like approach to scenery would be extremely useful. Everyone can supply content and the community ensures no abuse will occur. Guess how quicky the world would be populated with waterfalls ;) To keep up-to-date, this requires an online connection to a scenery server, of course.

Iguazu Falls in Argentina (makes Niagra look like a dripping tap), Angel Falls in Venezuela (the world's highest waterfall), the karnak temple at Luxor (the Pyramids might be good, but you can't have one without the other IMHO), Some of the 'stations' in Antarctica - McMurdo, South Pole etc (actually they'd probably need to rewrite the engine to do that one, since despite putting an airport, well, runway, at the pole, FS has major display problems there). Antarctica is a whole continent without any detailed scenery!I'll admit I haven't searched out every 'wonder', but I've done several 'round the world' trips in FS - normally GA - and my FS 'photo album' is full of blank landscapes with the caption "This would have been such-and-such, if it had been modelled"! Touring the world and finding out about new places is one of my favourite things to do in FS.You simply need to google 'wonders of the world' and you'll have a list as long as your arm of things you won't find in FS.Of course there are many other things in FS that need urgent attention, from ATC to Weather, but you also can't have the perfect sim with nowhere to go...

Guest fsxmissionguy

"Of course there are many other things in FS that need urgent attention ..."You know, the internet's a funny thing.I guarantee you that if Microsoft posted a list of the scenery items they would like to include in vNext, and invited people to build and submit them for inclusion, they could probably get every one of them for free.Community.

Guest JIMJAM

I hope MS does not attempt again to please everybody and end up with a scrambled mess.They gave us a world now just iron out the bugs and allow developers and users to add the fine details.Or at least make it a option.In my case, I find a area I am interested in or lets face it, one thats been done and set up camp there.With FS9, I bought Islands of the West Indies and along with Fscargo, spent months and months there.Same with Tongass Fjords and Misty Fjords. A medium size area with high detail and user ability to add and modify.Hawaii- On topic is my new base of ops. I bought Megascenery Hawaii and Aerosofts Dillingham. There us also in the Library a few additional autogen and scenery addons.Without Fscargo or Passengers, its gotten boring pretty quick I must admit but sure looks great.I have Instant Scenery and added helipads,hospitals,ect and travel back and forth.Now if Ms tried it, first off the the performance hit would be horrible. People would complain. Then alot of the scenery would need to be generic or it would be 10 years betreen versions,100 gig installs,fps eaters and, yup, complain.The pool is out of place, the roof is the wrong color, you get my drift.I do not need any more "wonders of the world".Getting the new MS sim to run at a decent performance level will be my, wonder of the world.

Guest ssurjap

Thanks.I'm just wondering why the tour guide says "try to find it if you want." I guess "he's" not expecting people to waste their time to try and find it.

Guest jshyluk

Generally, the people who run audio don't hang around with computer modellers. Completely different social circles, like police and firefighters.Probably, the audio script was made way before the models were created. The audio was engineered before some modeller realized that inserting Feature X would somehow break the sim. It turns out to be much less expensive to leave out Feature X than it is to record and engineer new audio. At least that's my guess.If there was one thing I'd like to see included as scenery for MSFS, it would have to be the AVSIM World Headquarters Builing. I've included a picture of part of it at the very bottom of this review:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0308/R44/R44.htmJeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

I very much agree... in fact, I wonder if it wouldn't be too hard to start a author-supplied google-earth repository of scenery offerings. I wonder if someone is already doing it?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.