Sign in to follow this  
Guest pwheeler

Heads UP! ... FSWC IS BEING RELEASED

Guest Nick_N

Just so you guys know.. before I completely crash (as in sleep).. I would not put anything out I did not try myself. The first one, unknowing to me, I did not have the same file that was posted and this update I placed on my C root drive, D root Drive, FSX RAID array and every single install possibility I could think of, including a Windows folder installnada issuesI repeated different install scenarios and patch scenarios for hours in all my own critical drives and partitions as other testers did for us as well.Of course I also have a backup ready to go so I never lose anything and down time is max 1 hour, perhaps a bit more, from a complete disaster to up, running and everything as it was.I would never put something out I was not willing use in my personal install and much prefer be the one to get nailed before anyone else.and I can not apologize enough for what happened.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Guest Rainey

Thanks for your help with this Nick NI did happily install FSWC last night anyway (with the plan to not uninstall) and all I can say is WOW! The product is superb and works beautifully. I can't believe what a difference it makes to have realistic looking water.

Guest Nick_N

Its got a few quarks we still need to address and get locked down (nothing bad LOL)The ATi 3xxx cards and a few other are having trouble with the Sun Specular slider it would appear. Paul and Ash are on the job though and as we make changes we will post updates and let everyone know. the program 'hang' bug without FSX installed went to a lower priority simply becasue you can't use it wihout FSX installed and there are a few other things we want to address in dev time which would be of more use and help.glad you like the results... with the amount of input ability the changes that one can come up with are quite large and hours of fun to fiddle with.

Guest NoobPilot

Nick, this is slightly off-topic here, but you brought up the topic of backups. What do you use to back up your files? I started to use DVD's, but I keep running out.

Guest Nick_N

I only use DVD's for hard copy of critical files and data I want cold stored. I have a HDD storage rack where each system backs up changed data and select files and folders daily, weekly and monthly automatically in a overwrite loop. One of my routines is to go through that data and transfer some to DVD and flush junk every so many months. The grandfather-father-son backup ensures I am always ready for just about anything and I also keep a image of each install on that system for partition recovery which is updated once a month automatically. After the partition recovery is complete the daily backup restores the system to within 24hours of crash use.In order to do that it requires a hard drive rack and for that I use external mirrored drives for data backup security in case of drive failure.In this day and age I am afraid DVD's are simply not enough for a full system restore however I do use them for hard copy storage of select files.

Guest NoobPilot

Do you do this manually or do you use a program to do this?

Guest Rainey

Nick, that is a #### of a lot of redundancy for personal use, you must be commended... that is more than my clients consider they require... as a business! lol.

Guest UlfB

>Lol your a loser buddy :-lolWhy don't you get yourself a life and move on? Sure a enough a winner would move on, wouldn't he? Only a loser would waste his time like you do here on avsim.Edited: This was a reply to a post that was removed by a mod.Ulf B

Guest Nick_N
http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/.... will be officially launching tomorrow (MONDAY JULY 7th 2008) You can obtain a copy from the download link on the main website tomorrow and it will be available at AVSIM in the library. Soon FSWC will be offering to all developers a freeware plug-in SDK which will allow FSWC to highlight freeware and payware offerings for environmental texture upgrades and weather control systems. FSWC will allow a user to enhance their FSX water shade, tone, reflections to personal taste and with the up and coming SDK allow FSWC to vastly improve other addons both freeware and payware offered at no charge to anyone.FSWC is freeware with restricted use limitations and is open to everyone for use. This is the shader product I personally use with my own settings to make the FSX world more realistic to my personal taste. This software has been under development for some time and everyone will soon be able to give is a spin. Please read the documentation about FSX SP1 limits too. FSX SP2/Acceleration has no issues/limits with the use of the tool at this time. Ashton will continue to look into the RTM/SP1 issues as time permits.and I hope all enjoy this freeware offering. Paul and Ashton have outdone themselves with this project.EDIT: Package has been uploaded to the AVSIM Library..

On their webpage there is a statement 'For DX9 - SP1 and SP2 compatible'. I assume they mean FSX.

Guest UlfB

Thats correct! The header on the page says "FS Water Configurator...For Microsoft Flight Simulator X".Ulf B

Guest Nick_N

LOL!From my superficial description it does sound like a corporate system, and it is.. but you noticed I said it

Guest Nick_N

I use good old MS Backup for the daily/weekly/monthly data and a script to execute Ghost for the partition images all of which are run from another tower and perform the deeds through the house networkI will then go through the monthly every so often and pull very critical data out of it for DVD storage. I will also flush data out of that pool where I have found its really no longer needed to be stored. The combination keeps things trim and storage cost down. Since the partition images are overwrites and not duplicates that keeps required storage space trimmed down.

If using 2x low water, will I see a big enough difference to use this utility?Thanks, Jim

Jim Wenham

Guest Nick_N

No JimThis requires 2xLow and aboveIts great for makling cloud/shore reflections more realistic