Sign in to follow this  
Guest PPSFA

"DBS Walk and Follow" for FSX

Another good suggestion,PPSFA, thanks, i have just done so. :-) Cheers,Jan

Jan

>Did a search here on avsim with keywords DBS Walk and found>several posts. Maybe some of them are useful to you.>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=445899>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=437984>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=252327>>And here is a review:>http://www.avsim.com/pages/0408/WalkFollow/WalkFollowX.htm>>Don't underestimate the power of Avsim Search ;-)>>Ulf BWhen I try those 3 forum links I get an obscure error message:---------Following query failed:SELECT m.*, u.id as u_id, u.g_id, u.pa, u.pb, u.pc, u.pk, u.ua, u.ub, u.uc, u.ug, u.uj, u.username as author, u.num_posts, u.num_votes, u.points, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(m.last_date) as last_date, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(m.mesg_date) as mesg_date, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(m.edit_date) as edit_date, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(u.reg_date) as reg_date FROM 121_mesg as m LEFT JOIN dcuser as u ON m.author_id = u.id WHERE m.id = ---------Same whether I use Firefox or IE.Do they work for anyone else please?-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Jan,I was (am) a complete novice to FSX, a birthday present from my son. My main usage will be in connection with planning walks and viewing scenery. And a current addiction, solving 'Where Am I?' puzzles, from photos of UK locations. So I'm atypical in some major respects!To complement FSX I immediately bought two add-ons:- Horizon VFR scenery package for England & Wales.- (finally coming back OT) DBS W&FI'm happily using the VFR scenery. But, despite lots of much appreciated help here from Jeff, I've made little progress yet with W&F. I also had prompt help from the DBS guys which was much more understandable than their sparse documentation. But frankly I have so far found the program's complexity daunting, and its poor Help a significant obstacle. What I plan to do as soon as time allows is spend a solid day or two stepping through it all again. BTW, I also installed the associated (undocumented - probably a plus point!) program 'Cameras File Editor'. I think that will be useful for my type of intended use, and hope it will let me get quickly to specific locations and views.I suspect that, assuming you go ahead, you will make rapid progress. So I hope you'll come back here with some detailed step-by-step instructions!Meanwhile most of my FSX activity has settled into a sort of routine, probably including some bad techniques:1) Fly Now from an arbitrary airport in a max 75 mph Ultra thingie2) Immediately switch to Map window and enter lat/long co-ords of location I want to view (usually pasted from Google Earth or Memory-Map), set initial bearing, and set speed an unchallenging zero.3) Use P to resume simulation and immediately Y to enter Slew mode.4) F10 to get 2D Cockpit, then cycle with W to get rid of all obstructions.5) Move around changing view and zoom settings, constantly referring to shortcuts needed to do so (like 9 and 0 to change vertical viewing angle - took me a while to discover those!).6) Switch over to GE or Mem-Map or MS Virtual Earth occasionally to find out the name of a road, village, river etc. (Pity there's no way to overlay that on the FSX scenery, with or without the VFR add-on.)What I haven't yet tried is setting up a group of waypoints and somehow using the GPS features of FSX to 'fly' (or slew?) between them. That would presumably get as close as is possible to 'flying a tour' in GE, which would be great if I can do it.-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Guest PPSFA

Using the GPS to fly to specific points is easy, just select a departure and destination in the flight planner, select 'Direct', then use your mouse and drag the line to as many 'waypoints' as you want. Speaking of the mouse, you can use that to look around, just like 'TrackIR' instead of using the keys, I think the command is Shift+O, but check the command list in the Learning Center, I dont have FS installed on this machine.XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optomized by www.fs-gs.com

>Notta lotta folks round here seem to care about other than>default camera positions... :-roll >>Better results now with the params i entered after a computer>restart. All new camera setups magically jumped into *almost*>correct positions. No need for a wetsuit anymore... :-cool >>Still hope someone will explain how to enter a 100% correct>camera position into the CameraDefinition section.>>Have a nice vacation ! :-sun1 >>Cheers,>Jan Here's how you setup approach views with the default camera system in FSX In the Cameras.cfg file (In the same folder your fx.cfg file is in). There is a definition titled "Facilities Runway", it's a pretty useless view in my view as it padlocks the view of the selected runway to the VC. Which of cause if you do that, you can't see where you are going in front of you. So I reversed it the Plane is padlocked to the Runway. This effectively gives you an approach view. To select it yse the right click menu and select runway, a sub menu of local runways will appear, select the one you want. You can adjust the views with the standard adjustment keys. Note they are are the floating type so to stop it you need to hit the Ctrl-Space combo. I haven't figured out how to make this view with fixed adjustments. You could define a separate view to keep the existing one, but you need to assign a unique GUID for that, which I haven't figured out how to assign. Another thing you can do with it is set Track = None, this breaks the padlock view, which you can then use it to watch AI or Multiplayer traffic arrive.{CameraDefinition.009} -->>Replace {} with square bracketsTitle = Facilities RunwayGuid = {607C4520-CA6F-4135-AE10-8BF28838068F}Description = This is the description of the runway view.Origin = FixedInstancedBased = YesSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FalseTargetCategory = ContainerTrack = TrackShowAxis = YesAllowZoom = YesInitialZoom = 1.0SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUETransition = NoShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = RunwayCycleHideRadius = 7ClipMode = SpotCycleHidden=YesHere's a sample video to show you the result. I have others also on my channel.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi Terry,>I suspect that, assuming you go ahead, you will make rapid progress. So I hope you'll come back here with some detailed step-by-step instructions!

Jan

Hi Tom,>Here's how you setup approach views with the default camera system in FSX In the Cameras.cfg

Jan

>You could define a separate view to keep the>existing one, but you need to assign a unique GUID for that,>which I haven't figured out how to assign. Creating a new GUID is quite simple...Here are two simple methods:1. Copy an existing GUID and simply change at least one number in each group, using hex numbers 0 through f.2. Go here and generate as many unique GUIDs as you wish. I will typically copy/paste from the screen to a Notepad.exe page and save for future needs. I cut/paste from the file. If I run out, I "refill" the file again with new GUIDs.http://www.guidgenerator.com/online-guid-generator.aspxConsidering that there are more unique GUID numbers than there are stars in the known universe, it's highly unlikely (read: not possible) to accidentally duplicate one... :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Because of the great tips i've got in another thread i am now>getting good results with setting up my own camera's in FSX.Could you link me to the thread please?>Btw, i stumbled over a demo vid on YouTube of another FSX>Camera manupilator proggy which might be released soon. It>very much looks like that this program *does* let me setup my>favourite 'Approach View' instantly. Fingers crossed. :-coolSounds promising - do you have a link please? If you subsequently get that program please let us know what you think of it.>Say, Terry, did you ever use a normal road map to investigate>the wonderful GenX England&Wales VFR scenery ? Personally i>prefer this very much over having to switch to other>facilities 'breaking the spell' as it were. Certainly with>photoreal sceneries like E&W VFR it doubles the fun because>you can just keep on flying and at the same time knowing>exactly what you see down there.Yes, a paper map can be handy! But unlike probably 99% of FSXers (right term?) I'm rarely flying, just slewing, so plenty of time to pause and switch apps. Especially to Google Earth or Google Maps which can show me roads, place names etc.-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry : my newly started FSX camera thread is here : http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=450287&page=2The new FSX camera progam ( not released yet ) is called EZDok, the demo vid is here : http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=nQFwzIcnZC0(hope it's Ok to post that here in the W&F thread..) Remarkable you mostly use Slew in FSX... you should try 'flying' too, it's great ! Particularly in FSX ! :-cool Bill : thanks a lot for the 'how to' on new GUIDs !Cheers,Jan

Jan

This program is a MUST HAVE for FSX. Brings all of the features of Activecamera and more.They sent my key within 1 hour of purchasing and the learning curve was very shallow for basic VC functionality.MUST HAVE!Regards,Mike T.

Mike, which program are you talking about exactly ? You mean EZDok and that it is actually released ??.....If affirm can you show us a link please ?Thanks!Jan

Jan