Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Nick HELP! HD Files Deleted by FSWC????

Guest Nick_N

Pete we ran the uninstall scenario hundreds and hundreds of times in testing different setups and install options on Vista and XP. Never did we see anything like this.Could you please contact Ashton through the support system and give him the details exactly as they happened. I will send him a email referencing this thread.If something like this slipped by it would have to be a very strange situation we never came across. I have personally installed and uninstalled the software in many different locations with no adverse affects including an install on backup drives in other directories. Please list the OS you are using, what version of FSX you are on and the layout of where it is installed in that communication.I will send Ash an email right away to make this top priority

Guest Nick_N

I posted this issue and the thread to AshtonHe is in Asia so he is not online right now. Please send the information requested to the support system. I am starting to look at this myself I will get with Ashton as soon as he comes online with anything I may find.PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL FSWC TO ANY ROOT DIRECTORY OF A HARD DRIVE OR ANY PLACE OTHER THAN THE DEFAULT LOCATION IT REQUESTS IN THE INSTALLER UNTIL WE GO THROUGH THIS

hmmm seems like it happened to me too, but I wasn't sure if FSWC was responsible. I installed FSWC into a directory that I didn't want it in, then I uninstalled it, and then when I tried to install it into the right place it said that it couldn't find FSX, and when I navigated to my FSX partition, the entire partition was empty. I've since reinstalled FSX and FSWC and it's working fine.I'm running Vista 32 bit with FSX Deluxe. FSX was/is installed on my G: partition, my OS is on my C: partition.

Guest Nick_N

QuestionsWhere is it installed right now.. in its default directory where the program requested to go during the install?The first time you installed it, do you recall what directory it went into where you said you did not want it?I have found a possible problem and I am waiting for Ashton to come online to discuss it. Unfortunately I do not have Vista so I need to talk to him about how what I am seeing is affected by Vista vs XP

>>>I posted this issue and the thread to Ashton>>He is in Asia so he is not online right now. Please send the>information requested to the support system. I am starting to>look at this myself I will get with Ashton as soon as he comes>online with anything I may find.>>>>PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL FSWC TO ANY ROOT DIRECTORY OF A HARD>DRIVE OR ANY PLACE OTHER THAN THE DEFAULT LOCATION IT REQUESTS>IN THE INSTALLER UNTIL WE GO THROUGH THIS>>>>Yikes!! And it's still available for download?? I'd be livid.IMHO, shouting in all CAPS here doesn't give a warm and fuzzy.

Guest UlfB

Hi,Here we go again. These automatic installers messing things up. Why doesn't developers supply an alternative to do a manual install? Nowadays it's quite impossible to keep track of what default FSX files that are replaced and what FSX files that are updateded.Please all developers: DON'T GIVE US AUTOMATED INSTALLERS. AND IF YOU DO, GIVE US INSIGHT ON WHAT YOUR ADD ON WILL DO TO OUR FSX FILES AND CONFIGURATIONS. Please give us info on what test procedures you used. On what operating systems did you test? With what language and regional settings did you test your installer? Living in Sweden I'm pretty fed up with installers and add ons that don't work with none US/English regional settings and international character sets.I must clarify that I enjoy FSWC very much and I have had no problems with this add on so far. But in general I very much dislike amateur add-ons that mess my FSX up.Ulf B

I removed this file. No way can we allow such a risk like that.

Guest Nick_N

I just sent you and Tom an email on this ChaseThanks for pulling itWe have been up all night working on duplicating the issue on all OS versions and we did just locate the cause. I will post an announcement and there will be both a patch to make sure anyone who installed it will not have any problems, and, a new installer posted which incorporates the fixthe issue only happens if it was installed without a directory (manually browsed and installed without a FS Water Configurator folder) and it was caused by the wrong uninstaller being packaged with the release version. It was a mix up in packaging and it is being corrected right now.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I uninstalled FSWC because the installer didn't automatically create a new FSWC directory after I had changed the install path when installing. Thus, the uninstaller thought that the partition FSWC had been installed on was all FSWC content, which it deleted when uninstalled :(

Guest Nick_N

Apologies about what happened.We are issuing a quick patch which will uninstall the product correctly no matter where it is currently installed and are releasing an updated version that has the correct uninstall code in it.I have also emailed Tom about what happened and he is aware of the problem. He stated they will repost the file as soon as the new version is ready for the library and is confirmed.I am personally reviewing/testing the installer files this time to make sure there are no errors in the packaged product and conduct HDD root and FSX directory tests to be sure nothing is overlooked.I will issue an announcement to everyone on how to upgrade and who should run the patch if necessary. The patch will only be needed if the software was not installed in its default directory or a browsed directory created specifically for FSWC, otherwise uninstalling FSWC is completely safe and those who did install to the default path can simply uninstall and upgrade to the next version. If anyone is worried even if they did install to the default path the provided patch will perform the same safe uninstall for you as well and it can be run by anyone using this release, FSWC v3.0

Thanks Nick for your quick action,Running Vista 64, FSX deluxe, sp2 and it pointed every desktop icon to the FSX start exe.Uninstalled from the control panel but still have all the problems.Hadn't seen this thread till now don't know if your new installer will fix my setup tho..RegardsTrevor

Trevor Golding

Guest Nick_N

TrevorCheck your PM, I will see if I can help

I just downloaded and installed FSWC. I installed it into the root of my "N:" Drive (My FS addons and BU drive Drive) since the Install wanted to install it into C: drive and wouldn't let me enter a new folder in N Drive! The install went well and everything was installed correctly. I then decided that I didn't want it in the root of the drive and decided to uninstall FSWC and reinstall it into a Folder that I would create after uninstalling. I used the FSWC Unistaller.exe, and it asked me if I was sure I wanted to delete FSWC?, I said yes and away it went! I was wondering why the uninstall took so long, but found out after it was done...... It removed just about everything from my N: drive including all of the folders that contained all of my purchased programs (Luckily I have that folder backed up!), GEX files, ADE, AFX etc......Anyway to make a long story short, all of my FS utilities, Rail Simulator and I'm not even sure what else I had on that drive is gone!I'm not exactly computer challenged and I know that I didn't do anything to cause the removal of the data from the drive, other than running FSWC Uninstaller Prog!Nick, any idea what might have happened?Is a complete reinstall of FSX and addons in my future? FSX appears to run normally, but what about the GEX files that I had in my N Drive?Pete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)