Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

HEADS UP FOR CAPTAIN SIM!

Guest Davidbiz

I don't know if this is the right forum for this (and forgive me if it isn't,)but I wanted to alert everyone to an unpleasant experience I very recently had with The Captain Sim company. I purchased a copy of the 757 FSX v1.4 Block

Guest UlfB

>Anyway, SECOND QUESTION: If they knew full well that they had>every intention of discontinuing that

Guest fsxmissionguy

A chargeback is the best advice.Companies that get too many chargebacks, are usually put out of business by Visa and Mastercard, who refuse to allow those companies to accept their credit cards.Some of these developers bank on the fact that it's often kind of a hassle to try to get your money back, and that you'll give up. So, they get to keep your money.Will you let them win that game?I purchase a lot of add-ons from Flight 1. They have a 30-day no questions asked money back guarantee. That guarantee has a way of keeping developers honest.In fact, if a development company doesn't offer their software through Flight 1, then that's a huge big red flag for me.The internet is a dangerous enough place to spend money, with with the risk of identity theft being what it is. Why compound it by handing over your money to someone you don't know, can't trust and has such a poor reputation?

Guest JIMJAM

PLEASE stop giving these guys MONEY!Please stop advertising their releases.Please stop accepting their money for advertising.Do not carry CS products.Getting a deal with MS has added a new level of arrogance to these guys. People chasing the 757 block carrot and handing over 90$ for the "completed" version has them convinced we are total idiots.They will get backed ito a corner "again" and spew out just enough effort and after a long period of time, people forget.Eventually,CS announces "add fancy advertising and slick presentation here" and AGAIN people will be slinging out their credit cards to buy it.Repeat..........Enough is enough.

Don't bother trying to get Paypal to help. I hope that you used a credit card instead of a direct bank debit to purchase the CS product or else you are S O L. Paypal doesn't care about you, they care about their vendors and will immediately decline your refund request.If you DID use a credit card, simply call them, tell them what happened and they will place the funds on hold and put the money back into your account within 72 hours pending review. Your CC company is on your side, paypal is on Captin Sim's side.Good luck...the Search button is your friend! :-)Mike T.

Guest Davidbiz

Thanks Guys! I've learned my lesson. I'm going to go for the chargeback. I'll let you know what happens. I'm never going to buy another add-on! There are so many wonderfully generous and talented people giving their creativity away for free on Avsim and others, that why should we encourage these greedy ones with little integrity and questionable product!I'd like to take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to all those who have shared their files here. They are remarkable!Cheers!Davidbiz

>A chargeback is the best advice.>>Companies that get too many chargebacks, are usually put out>of business by Visa and Mastercard, who refuse to allow those>companies to accept their credit cards.>On the otherside, you may want to make darn sure you're never ever going to do business with that vendor again. Cause multiple chargebacks often result in your card being blocked from future purchases from that merchant/vendor.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

>Thanks Guys! I've learned my lesson. I'm going to go for>the chargeback. I'll let you know what happens. I'm never>going to buy another add-on! There are so many wonderfully>generous and talented people giving their creativity away for>free on Avsim and others, that why should we encourage these>greedy ones with little integrity and questionable product!>>I'd like to take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to>all those who have shared their files here. They are>remarkable!Now wait a minute - it seems to me that you're damning all add-on vendors for the sins of Captain Sim (who I haven't seen too many good things said in quite some time). A company that is in complete contrast to what you describe is Flight1. I have bought many (too many!) products from them over the last five? years, and they are a stand up company. Their guarantees and after-sales support are top notch.I agree that there are a lot of nice freeware add-ons out there - although, it seems to be getting less and less these days. But very very few of them, if any, can be compared to the best of the payware addons.Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest Davidbiz

No, I didn't mean to condemn everyone. I agree there are some very good reputable companies like Scenery UK 2000, Flight One etc. I just meant that there are so many great files out there for free that you can hold onto your money and still have a fantastic flying experience!:)Davidbiz

Guest fsxmissionguy

David,There are also a lot of reputable Flight Simulator add-on producers who you SHOULD give your money to ... because they produce products that cannot be done as freeware.Take a look at Ground Environment X. Take a look at Flight Environment X. Take a look at the feelThere Wilco 737-PIC. The PDMG products, the Alpha Sim products. I could go on and on.These can't be free, because the skill required to produce them, or the data sources required to produce them, costs money.There's nothing wrong with paying for quality software. But like any market you purchase something from ... sometimes there's going to be a guy selling yesterday's bread for today's price and scramming once you figure out it's stale.You bought from the wrong baker, but that doesn't mean everyone is a crook.Caveat Emptor, baby. It's not like Captain Sim's reputation doesn't preceed it.So, let's not throw the good guys under a bus because you ran into a schmuck. Some of these guys are producing quality stuff.Cheers,

Guest Davidbiz

You're absolutely right! I have ground Environment X and love it! I also have UK scenery2000 Gatwick and Blueprint KIND and I'm happy with all those purchases. I think I just got burned by the bad guys! It's a pity because the software looked nice...I don't know why they can't be bothered to stand by it!...Wait a minute...yes I do! :)

Guest mephix

I'm sorry you had issues with the 757 friend.Captain Sim has at least one happy customer though... Me....Man I LOVE the C-130X!T.J.

Well...I dunno about "cannot be done for free". Actually when you look at the much more complex applications and operating systems available for free AND as open source, I don't think that he SHOULD give his money to anyone. He HAS to give his money, which is a different thing all together, to get the good stuff.For instance, don't want to pay for Windows, use a version of Linux (pick one)...Free. Don't want to spend $25,000 on Cisco Callmanager phone system, use Asterisk, Trixbox or Elastix...Free. Don't wanna spend $500 on Microsoft Office, use OpenOffice...Free. Just a few cases of software that are exponentially more complex than any FS add on, with longer development timelines that rival software that costs from $300 to over $100,000 available for FREE. :-)Unfortunately, FS has very few products like these and every Tom, Dick and Captain Sim wants to be paid each time they break wind. So as it were, there is nothing that cannot be done as freeware or open source if one is willing. This paradigm makes for a few top vendors who earn their keep through top notch products, many vendors who should be ashamed to charge for their wares, and a handful who are just out to reel in as many bucks as possible for products that wouldn't even make good garbage!Oh well, it is what it is. Regards,Mike T.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Mike,You're right of course, but you forgot to mention that flight simulation isn't any different. If you want free flight simulator software, here it is:http://www.x-plane.com/I've chosen to pay for my flight simulation software because it is better software, but I use a lot of software that's open source. Some of it is excellent.By the way, how much is it now to join the AOPA?Cheers,