Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

Should I rejoin the FS adventure?

Guest Boaz

I quit simming a little more than a year ago.The reason why I quit was, that I had so many crashes of my sim, especially after increasing the sim speed enroute. I gave up after tweaking and thinking my self to bits. Finally it was too big a disapointment for me to fly in FS to keep me going.I have since blamed my inconclusive problem findings on my hardware. I recently had a complete failure of the PSU and HDD, which I think was because of a fault with my motherboard... Or so I think.I then decided to go apple and stay off flightsim, but then I saw the many new airports, and I started thinking about simming again.My plan was to buy a Dell computer (XPS 630), but then I ran into these posts: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...=1208959973/0#3http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=15544http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=65318http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchhttp://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspxAll of which are about OOMs that could shake my experience, despite my new specs.I am keen on flying realistic IFR flying with the PMDG B744 mainly into big hubs with AI. Is this not possible with out doing some pretty acey editing to the boot.ini(I did not understand one word on "how to do that 3GB patch thing")?I miss simming, but if simming means struggling with system errors 80% of the time, then no I am not going down that road again.Many thanks, I look forward to hear what you say!Boaz

If your specific concern is OOM errors then I suggest you go with Vista-64 and at least 4Gb of RAM. Make sure the header in your FSX.EXE file is large memory address aware: search this forum (I think) for links to how you can use the CFF Explorer to achieve this.For what it's worth, I haven't had an OOM error, even with the PMDG 747X, for as long as I can remember. No doubt I could generate one if I tried to keep other applications open at the same time as FSX: but who'd do that? On the other hand, I very seldom play for longer than about 2 hours which may mean that my experience is a-typical, because if I remember correctly, I've read that some people only start having problems with the PMDG when they are part-way through rather longer flights.Tim

I feel the same way...... I've been simming with FS9 ever since it came out and having a blast! I like to load and play with only minor tweaks. I'm not a geek wiz and I just don't have the knowledge to do all that. Thank goodness for all those guys that do have the knowledge. I did buy FSX over a year ago and it is still in the box. I am upgrading to a new computer however, after reading all these forums FSX is sure not a plug and play sim. Hope MS gets it right with FS11!! BestLamar

Regards

Lamar Wright

Guest JIMJAM

I had BOTH fs9 and X loaded for awhile and had the best of both worlds.But if airlines and flying into the large airports is your thing then FS9 is way ahead of X.Just the shear amount of addons, both planes and scenery not to mention the performance makes it the winner.I had a HD failure and after a rebuild deleted all my fs9 addons.MISTAKE.....I enjoy FSX and my eye candy,heli,bush flying,GA sim.But I sure miss flying the big planes into and out of FlyTampas and the other high detail airports using Fspassengers.IMO- Build your virtual airline world with FS9.If you have the time and $$$$,load FSX and tinker with it.Just do not expect to throw money for hardware at it and expect miracles.And if you have alot invested in FS9 addons, do not expect ANY to work in FSX/SP2.Yes, some work fine but I learned the hardway, if its a carry over, called port,"compatable""ready", be ready for anything.From annoying holes in the cockpit,bad performance, and other wierdness.You might have other sim problems and not even realise whats causing it.

Guest Boaz

I miss FS9, I really enjoyed the traffic and oh boy the amount of quality airports there was for FS9, Sheesh!But if OOM is a widespread problem, then I am not really up to it :(Secondly the computer I have in my scopes is a Dell computer. I used to buy parts and then let the retailer set it all up. This time I want a reasonably priced solution, with the least of problems, so I am looking at Dell.The thing is, that Dell offers me this CPU: Intel

One thing about this group, ask a question and you'll get lots of opinions. So, here's mine.First, don't buy a manufactured computer. Go to your local computer store and tell them what you want to do with your new computer. Then have them build to those specs. You may pay a little more, but you'll be using standard components that can be repaired/replaced/upgraded when the time comes. My daughter in law just completed building a state of the art computer for just over 1K. It's a beast and would run FSX in style. As you can see from my signature, I don't have a real beast for FS but it runs fine. Sometimes the FPS drops, but it's still smooth. BTW, I usually fly GA aircraft low and slow. I might not be as happy with a fighter jet at 500 feet.I don't agree with the statement that maybe Microsoft will get it right with FS11. I think they've got it right with FSX; however, some computers just will not run it with add-on aircraft and scenery and sliders full right. And I don't think many of today's computers can run it with all sliders to the right even with default aircraft and scenery. Personally, I hope MS always design to the next generation of computer power with the option to turn down sliders for today's computer power. That kind of design keeps us moving forward.OK, there's my 2 cents worth.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Using CFF Explorer is easy-peasy.But I'm pretty sure that if you update FSX with SP2 or Acceleration, you don't need to bother with CFF Explorer. I haven't checked this myself (I updated to Acceleration AFTER I'd used CFF Explorer, so I can't tell), but see Phil Taylor's post in this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchAs for your hardware choices: there have been several threads on this subject recently. I commend the reasoning of Sam (D17S). A cheap Q6600 system, to overclock to 3.6GHz with 4Gb RAM, should keep you going at least until we know (next year) whether it's worth spending more money on Nehalem. Video card: Nvidia 8800GT or new ATI 4870 seem to be where the smart money gets spent at the moment. Hard disks: not worth spending time puzzling over.Your proposed choice would run FS9 fine: the second core won't hurt FS9, it's just that FS9 won't use it. For FSX, you would be better off going with a Quad provided you can get one running faster than 3GHz: that's why the Q6600 is such a good choice if you're willing to overclock. Tim

>I miss FS9, I really enjoyed the traffic and oh boy the>amount of quality airports there was for FS9, Sheesh!>Which is a DUO processor, not something FS9 is capable of>running, is it?I'd suggest getting FS9 again if you are not willing or able to tweak it as needed to get the most of of it, which will probably happen since you want the heavies and all the AI that goes with it.I dumped FS9 when FSX came out and have had no issues with it, runs fine for the type of flying I do (GA and rotary) with fairly high settings and I have never had an OOM error (specs below)If you go with the new PC, FS9 will run fine on it, dual core and allRegards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Speculation over the performance of FS11 is just that; speculation. FSX was heralded as a great leap forward too, but then look what happened. The time to think about FS11 is when it is released and the first reviews hit. In the meantime we need to focus on what we have now, which is FSX and how to run it as well as possible. I agree that it is preferable to keep away from OEM computers for gaming systems. Much better value for money can be had by getting one built. I know it takes a lot more effort to hunt down components and find someone you trust to do the build, but it is also a lot more rewarding too.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest harleyman52

Get Her going again....Get one of these built for you Case: Digital Storm 850Si Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache) overclocked 3.42Motherboard: nVidia 780i Core 2 Quad (nForce 780i SLI)Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)Hard Drive 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme SpeedHard Drive 2: 250GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)Video Card: 8800 Ultra EVGA 786Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi FPS Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O Unit)Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Zalman Case Fans)Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)And never tweek again..In FS9 or FSX.......Load up up and have fun....Heres FSx while I was just testing Nvidia settings..I got it better.....And FS9.....Out the box....70-80 FPS...No tweeks...ever....

I agree with harleyman, just ordered a computer from DS. Got everything he mentioned but the q6600. The sales person said they don't use them anymore so I settled for the q 9450 o/c'ed to 3.4 They are good people to deal with. RegardsLamar

Regards

Lamar Wright

Guest harleyman52

You just ordered ......CoolThe Q6600 is all but impossible to get now..Expecially the GO version that I have......You will love FSX on that box.....you been on their forums then?Mine is clocked at 3.42............

Guest D17S

FSX is NoT PMDG qualified. The 744X will run, but expect 15FPS for serious IFR flying. This is with a quad at 3.6Ghz. A dual at 4G will get you 10% more . . . that'd be 16.5FPS. OK, what's IFR flying? You will need to define that a bit more clearly, but for me it's a hand flown Cat3c (0/0) approach. That's about as serious as IFR gets. They don't even let real pilots approach in those conditions. However at a FL 310 cruise, the PMDG 744X will get 20+ FPS. This is plenty smooth for an occasional FMC button push and a peek out the window. However below 10K, FPS take a hit. Approach requires autogen, scenery complexity and traffic completely off. You will then experience a choppy 15 FPS. At this frame rate, the airplane completely looses nuance and "feel." Default airplane pilots would Never notice, but a FS9/PMDG pilot will find this a completely inadequate experience.FSX is for GEXnHanced sightseeing excursions the Barron. For instance, try the Sitka "mission" with a good landclass, GEXn, FSGenesis and sliders High. A 3.6GHz quad / 8800GT will do this, no problem. The scenery is breathtaking.FSX is not that complicated. Use Vista 64, then install FSX with SP2. That will take care of the OOM issue. That's all there is to that. Use 4Gs of physical ram. That'll feed the beast all it can eat. Run the fastest Core2 you can. NoTHinG will be adequate. That's all there is to that.And if you're are Really a serious IFR/PMDG flyer, stay with FS9 for the Big Dog and use FSX for the eyecandy.

I'm just rejoining myself.... Finally !!!!I Just ordered a new machine from Cyberpower, and the FSX mesh bundle from FSGenesis which was discounted this past week end. The machine is supposed to ship tomorrow.Major Components:Asus P5N-D nForce 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 MainboardIntel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU @ 3.16GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit Thermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU Cooling FanHDD x 2 - (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPMFA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System X 2Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical MouseLogitech G15 Gaming Keyboard w/ Adjustable Backlit KeysCorsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory,PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel, 2 Gigs.Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory,PC6400 DDR2/800 (2 gigs from Tigerdirect)Ultra Lifetime Series Pro - 750 Watts Power SupplieA total of 4 extra fans for internal case.THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER 2-LG 20X Double Layer DVD+-RW S. Allwrite + Lightscribe TechnologyEVG GeForce 8800 GT, 512mb, Overclocked Model (From TigerDirect.com).CASUPGRADE: 12in internal COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT $1303 Total - Delivered.I intend to use my old Windows XP Pro - SP2 (For now)If FSX doesn't work out, FS9 should just "rock" on this machine.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)