Sign in to follow this  
Guest harleyman52

Ultimate Defrag Yes or No?

I just downloaded the Ultimate Defrag trial version but haven't installed it yet.I searched but couldn't find very much current information regarding the effectiveness of this de-fragmentation program.Does anyone have any experiences with it, positive or negative?I received an e-Mail from PC Aviator regarding a special sale they're running on it.I'm currently using Perfect Disk 2008. Would Ultimate Defrag be substantially better?Thanks.flykingVirtual AviatorSystem Specs:Used to be Vista (XP Now)AMD Athlon 64 2413MHzNVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT, 256MBMemory: 3071MBSB X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Guest harleyman52

I don't like it...I bought it and it never performed right..Tech support was *ABSENT* and offered no suggestions or help...Here is what my drive looked like after it had run and consolidated......And it trashed the drive,,I never could recover it to its normal state without a complete reinstall....Notice it says its complete..Then look at all the red...Thats FSX and FS9.........

It's kinda tough to "see" a .txt file... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest harleyman52

You can't see that......I'll tell you what it says...Defrag is complete for C...Can you see the red...Its still fragmented like crazySo you need glasses and are color blind to...LOLWere you trying to be funny or just cute?

Guest Rick Baldwin

Well I've got Perfect Disk 2008 also and out of curiosity downloaded the trial version of Ultimate Defrag.After you download the trial, they will send you an email for about each of the next seven days, and each email will contain a tutorial on how to use a different aspect of Ultimate Defrag. (Essentially, the seven tutorials consist of the Ultimate Defrag manual broken down into seven segments). So if you love reading and you love fiddling with different settings, heck, give it a try.I guess since I am of the Ron Popeil (Set it and Forget it) school, I finally decided to stick with Perfect Disk 2008. But then I'm an old geezer.-Rick

Hi harleyman52,I really appreciate your response but I was unable to open your attachment successfully. Is there a certain program I need to open it correctly?Thanks for your help.flykingVirtual AviatorSystem Specs:Used to be Vista (XP Now)AMD Athlon 64 2413MHzNVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT, 256MBMemory: 3071MBSB X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Guest NoobPilot

Neither, he's not joking. I run linux on my alternate computer, so I got an error message saying that I was trying to read machine language.

>It's kinda tough to "see" a .txt file... :)>>

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest harleyman52

LOL I have no clue...I just click it and it opens.....Your guess is as good as mine......But UD shows my C drive completed ,but its solid red.......I had to reformat it....LOLCrap...It is in text file format...sorry..I'll try to fix..My appologies...

Guest triangle

I use Ultimate Defrag religiously. If you know how to use it properly you can get significant loading and performance improvements. However, a straight defrag will not be much use - you really need to understand how to implement the high performance options and use different settings for different partitions if you want the best out of it. It also needs to 'learn' about your data use over time so successive high performance defrags provide better and better performance.I would recommend giving it a shot but make sure to use it properly ....Triangle :-)

Guest D17S

Seems to work pretty well. Haven't lost a drive yet! The magenta blocks are my FSX folder. The program has a setting where you can select any directory to be placed on the outer edge. I have my FSX folder selected and it's all (pretty much) there. It's also sorted by "Name." For the workout it gets, that FS directory "stays put" pretty well. Maybe once a week or so, I use Perfect Disk to consolidate then Ultimate (here) to get the FS directory positioned and sorted by Name. This is why a second HD is really unnecessary for a FS install. Just run this once a week (or set it as your default defragger) and you're good to go. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190560.jpg

Guest harleyman52

Well..Mine never looked like that...... but still have a lot of Red files,at the inside of your platter.....What are they?I wanted mine to do that,but it never did...Could have been Errr Human error perhaps......But what the hay..My two Raptors make up for any slack I think....Thanks for the shot...Now I'm wondering...

>LOL I have no clue...I just click it and it opens.....>>>Your guess is as good as mine......>>>But UD shows my C drive completed ,but its solid red.......>>I had to reformat it....LOL>>>>Crap...It is in text file format...sorry..I'll try to fix..My>appologies...One you are using an old version of the program, the new version (Ultimate DeFrag008) is much more efficient and faster. This is my Windows XP disk after one I did today. I have FSX defined first as my High Priority, which puts it to the outer area of the disk.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190591.jpg

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest D17S

The red are files that are still fragged. Mostly they are files with names like 9849c39er209502909tpz2971 . . . . Don't really know. I run a junk file cleaner, but I see that kind of file around sometimes. Also, my gigantic .iso file are are red. The "Planet Earth" series is 30GBs and one those red segments. Got a couple of others too. Seems UD just left 'em alone. Remember those raptors only help for the 1st game or initial flight load after a fresh reboot. After that, any drive will reload in < 10 secs. 7200s and this kind of defragging is the most reasonable setup. A couple of seconds off a 1st program or an initial flight load really doesn't make up for that significantly higher bit/$$ expense. Edit: Tom, try it again. It didn't take. Files designated to the outer edge are call High Performance and colored Magenta. You should have a bit of a magenta ring around the outer edge.

Guest triangle

If you have left the archive option on while defragging, UD will only move the most recently used files to the outer rim of the disk platter and leave the very infrequently used files at the centre. The idea is to maximise the amount of space at the edge of the disk for your most frequently accessed files. There are also some files that UD will not move .... look to the review on this site for a very thorough explanation of how UD works, its limitations etc.Triangle