Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

FSX & out of memory

Guest Sirocco

I've reached the point I can comfortably run FSX with full detail at a smooth frame rate at mid size airports. But now I'm frustrated with out of memory errors towards the end of flights. Even with a clean boot and closing down everything but anti virus I'm constantly saving in preparation for the inevitable crash.Putting aside how we reached this position to begin with, if you have FSX maxed out, how do you do it without OOM? I've come across a few walkthroughs but they all involve risky Windows config changes; not something I'm keen to risk given that this is not a 100% FSX machine. And I do feel irritated at having to even contemplate it.Windows XP Pro, 32 bit, 4Gb memory, GeForce 8800GTX.*hopefully this is the right forum - hardware and software related

There's nothing the least bit "risky" about the process, and it takes all of maybe 30 seconds to apply:http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=OOM_ErrorThe above article has been vetted by no less a worthy than Phil Taylor of ACES, and is recommended on his blog... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Sirocco

>There's nothing the least bit "risky" about the process"It is possible to starve the operating system's slice of VAS to the point that your system will no longer boot!"I personally dislike the idea of meddling with how XP is setup. And I actually don't think we should have to do it to begin with. Perhaps I've just reached the point I've grown tired of filling in the cracks.

>>There's nothing the least bit "risky" about the process>>"It is possible to starve the operating system's slice of VAS>to the point that your system will no longer boot!">>I personally dislike the idea of meddling with how XP is>setup. And I actually don't think we should have to do it to>begin with. Perhaps I've just reached the point I've grown>tired of filling in the cracks.If you note, the method described provides a safe fallback for just that reason. That's why there are two options for booting, one with the /3GB switch enabled, and the other without.Believe me, I know this because I wrote the article... :-cool If there's ever a problem, simply start with the original non-enabled routine. If you have no problems, you can then safely remove the fallback, or leave it alone for a rainy day.As far as your last remark, understand that this OOM issue is a limitation of the operating systems. It has absolutely nothing to do with FSX...Multi-thousand dollar software applications are just as adversely affected as FSX in this regard!But, don't bother with it and continue to be annoyed by the OOM's.......or not. It is your choice after all. :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

Guest D17S

The non-tweeky solution is to go to a 64bit operating system, like Vista 64. As is stands, 32bit op systems only allow up to 2Gs on their Virtual Size "tally-sheet" before they crash the program with that OOM message. The 3G switch takes that limit to 3G, but reduces the operating system's Virtual Size allocation to 1G. A 64 bit op system running a 32bit program allows the VS tally sheet to run up to 4Gs. The operating system retains 15.996 terabits for its VS tally sheet "playground." That should be plenty! Finally, a 64bit op system running a 64bit program splits its 16 terabit VS equally between the op system and the program. The program will have 8Tb and the op system will have 8Tb. But you know what? In 10 years, we're gonna be begging for a 9Tb switch to give FS15 a little extra room to run. And so it will go. For now, just settle in with a 64bit op system and be done with it . . . for the next 10 years, anyway.

Guest Sirocco

>this OOM issue is>a limitation of the operating systems. >>It has absolutely nothing to do with FSX...At some point ACES must have known OOM issues were likely with XP. And their response is a blog post? I don't doubt other software contains a certain amount of poor code, but does that excuse it here? I don't think it does. When you add that to the bugs that will never be fixed I find that attidue inexcusable, and it's something we shouldn't tolerate.

Guest Sirocco

>The 3G switch takes that limit to 3G, but>reduces the operating system's Virtual Size allocation to 1G.The issue then becomes how does that affect other applications?Vista is not an option for me, given it's noted problems. I specifically chose XP Pro for this new machine for that reason.

>At some point ACES must have known OOM issues were likely with>XP.How could ACES have known that? Predict the future? Ouidja board? Tarot cards?Nobody had a 768 meg video card in 2005.You're applying blame to ACES for something they didn't do, as if it's a foregone conclusion that 1) Vista sucks, and 2) ACES messed up, neither of which are true.If you've already made up your mind about #1 and #2 then there's not much any of us can do to help you with your OOM problem, because it will continue, unless you get what you believe to be the sucky Vista64 operating system.And regarding Vista. Vista32 and Vista64 are two different birds. Consider all of the negative things you've heard about Vista as applying to Vista32.Also, since you have a 768 meg video card, you need Vista64, plain and simple. Otherwise the OOM will continue, ad infinitum...RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

You do not need to go all the way to 3GB...I use /3GB /userva=2560 in boot.iniSolved all my OOM problems with FSX on WinXP Pro and no ill effects.

Bert

>You do not need to go all the way to 3GB...>>I use /3GB /userva=2560 in boot.ini>>Solved all my OOM problems with FSX on WinXP Pro and no ill>effects.Which is of course precisely what my Wiki article recommends, Bert. But, it seems very apparent now that the OP isn't really interested in eliminating the OOM issue, but rather seems intent on using it as an excuse to persue some peculiar hobby horse...

Fr. Bill    

Guest D17S

I run above 3Gs VS consistently with the PMDG airplane. This would crash even 3G'd 32 bit op system. However, if you stick to normal (default airplanes) you should be fine. If you want it all though, a 64bit op system is the only answer.This OOM issue is Not just a FS problem. The big games are starting to max out the capability of 32bit operation systems. That's the problem. FS is just getting there ahead of the pack. Going forward, 64bit operating systems will be the answer. Vista 64? It's just a matter of getting used to something a little different than XP. That computer's software is OK. It's now only about the operator's software providing adequate flexibility to adjust to this slightly different environment. Bite the bullet and go through whatever frustration is required. This computer software is fine.

Well this mod works absolutely just fine fer me, and it's not affected any othe app or game I "play". I ain't buying another pc; I ain't buyin' more memory, and I ain't goin' to bloody Vista. I run most of the "big" scenery/mesh/texture add-ons, often fly Eaglesoft's Citation II (:-beerchug, Bill) - and the infamous-for-OOM's - the Coolsky/Flight1 MD80 - and NO OOMs... and I'm REAL happy with the whole environment: I have a VM Passat seat: pedals, full airline yoke, TrackIR and TH2Go. She's a beaut.(signed) Phil Taylor a really excited user.... (er..ok that's stretching it a bit too much...):-lolpjASUS P5B; C2D E6600 oc @3.346gig; nVidia 8900GTX; 2gig OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum; TripleHead2Go 3x19" VA926; Homebuilt yoke and pedals, throttle quadrant and 6-pack thrust levers + TRackIR4, VoxATC - no blurries and good for another year. . . :+

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>>.. and I'm REAL happy with the whole environment: I have a VM>Passat seat: You have a WHAT???You have a VW Passat seat in front of your FS setup? How did you mount it? Did you attach legs to it?RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Sirocco

>>At some point ACES must have known OOM issues were likely>with>>XP.>>How could ACES have known that? Predict the future? Ouidja>board? Tarot cards?>>Nobody had a 768 meg video card in 2005.You don't think a company developing product for M$ has an idea what hardware is around the corner? It's standard practise for developers to be looking ahead. ACES developed FSX with a view to future hardware, as has often been stated, but they had no idea what that hardware would be? That makes no sense.

Guest Sirocco

>it seems very apparent now that the OP isn't really>interested in eliminating the OOM issue, but rather seems>intent on using it as an excuse to persue some peculiar hobby>horse...First, I want to thank you for the article. I made that edit and hopefully it won't adversely affect the performance of other applications I use on a daily basis. Secondly I'd like to thank you in advance for not ascribing motives to my posts that are not there. I disagreed with you, it happens sometimes.