Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boaz

And thus it begins...Farewell FS9.

It is a bitter-sweet move isn't it Mike. I too had a hard time letting go of FS9 and during a fresh-build late last year, I just decided to dedicate my best Rig to FSX and move forward, once and for all. I will never forget the years of joy FS9 brought me. That is why I keep FlyHalf's video link in my Signature below, "In found memory..."Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest D17S

You'd have to work at it, but FSX will even take out a 64 bit system / 32 bit program 4G limit. (VS is the OOM stuff and WS Private is physical ram.)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190709.jpgThis was just letting the sim hammer along at 2 FPS til it loaded up, but we'll be right back here at 30FPS with SandyBridge and an FS that can deal with multicores. 64bit programs have an 8Tb VS limit. FS-next will really need to be a 64 bit program.

Sorry to ask, but why would you run FSX specially in Vista along with Windows Sidebar, Thunderbird email client, etc? I have never run out of memory. Joselito Sousa - SBGR - FSX NowSao Paulo - Brazilhttp://www.smart.dj/imagens/forum_avsim.jpgVISTA BUSINESS ASUS P5W DH DELUXE Intel Q6700 @ 3.2GHz OCSapphire HD3870 512MBCorsair XMS2 Xtreme - 4 GB (CL5 - 1.9 V)PSU COOLERMASTER 650WDUAL DVI Samsung 19" 940BF

>I felt the same about FS5.1.>>Yikes. You are going to have to forgive my little brother Stevie, he doesn't get out much... :-) Regardless, FS9 certainly has to be one of the best and most stable (and quickly corrected) FS builds of all time. Keep in mind... we are all experienced and dedicated simmers/developers and most of us will eventually move up on our hardware to accommodate our passion. But what about the typical and larger percentile public? Now add the fact many of them had Vista forced on them...FSX is a difficult monkey and I will not jump the wagon again to confirm what we all already know. Let's all hope FS11 is a learning experience based on FSX. Somehow I think it will be. Meanwhile... keep tweaking away... It is possible to have FSX perform quite well. But just like maintaining you're own body, it requires some serious pushups. :(

Guest D17S

Having additional (or even vastly numerous) processes or programs running are not a contributor to OOM events. The VS function for a 64bit system running a 32bit program allows 4G - per program or process - . For instance, if a user has 20 programs or processes running, - each one - can have up to 4Gs of VS allocated. An OOM will only occur if one of these programs or processes exceeed the 4 G limit. This could allocate up to 20 x < 4G or 79.99999... Gb of VS and the system would continue to run normally . . . as long as no individual program or process exceeded 4G. The screeny hoped to show OOMs have Nothing to do with physical ram. Additional processes or programs would only have a performance affect if Physical memory was nearing the amount installed. Here, the physical ram load was 3.2G with 4G on board.

>Regardless, FS9 certainly has to be one of the best and most>stable (and quickly corrected) FS builds of all time. Not so sure I can agree with that. I think FSX is much more stable than FS9, needs less tweaking by far, and graphically is a much better performer (much less 'blurry' issues).Once you get over the initial frame rate drop, I think FSX beats the heck out of FS9.But...that's just my opinion.

Gentlemen,I was considering moving from FS9 to FSX however my system specs compared to Mike's are downright embarassing. Is FSX basically unusable with the below system (i.e sliders only half way, etc.)?Processor - P4 3.6ghz HTRAM - 3GBVideo card - Radeon X800 XT 256 MB Operating system - Windows XP proWould most likely add the Level D 767, UTX and GEX.Thanks for any advice on whether to move or stay put.Jeff

Mike,Your PC is impressive. Do you run it under Vista or XP ?What is the average fps with FSX ?

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Hi Roger:I run FSX under Vista 64-bit. I must say on Microsoft did a GREAT job with Vista-64 vs my experience with XP 64-bit years ago. All drivers were readily available via Vista update, even detected my Logitec Orbitcam-AF automatically and installed the application AND drivers for it. All I had to do was install ATI and Creative and HP printer 64-bit drivers once I was done. Totally painless.FPS varies widely but is impressive none-the-less. Away from big cities I see frames as high as +200 FPS easily, but that really means nothing to me since I use the sim for heavy flights from big city -to- big city. It also depends on your aircraft. Ultralight will get your +200, PMDG 747 cuts that in half to about 100 FPS. LDS 767 as high as 150 FPS and I bottom out at about 20 FPS. From a fluidity standpoint this is no worse than FS9 and actually BETTER in many cases.With PMDG 747, FS Dreamteam KORD, 100% custom AI (EvolveAI, AI Aardvark, etc) and every gate taken, FEX HD Clouds, GEX ground textures, ASX sky with broken clouds and FSX settins at Ultra Hi I get about 20 FPS...which is only 5 FPS slower than what you'd see on your TV set. No stuttering, no blurries, and VERY smooth! Mind you GET VISTA 64-BIT! In the same scenario above I was getting OOM errors the moment I loaded PMDG 747-400. I just did a 9 hour flight from KORD to EGLL in the LDS 767 (Heathrow Extreme 2008) and not even a hickup.I've gone from being one of the BIGGEST nay-sayers about FSX to LOVING FSX! It's all in the system, its all about optimizing that system (NOT continually optimizing FSX, leave FSX alone and tweak your system - SP2 comes optimized greatly by Aces and I have not had to change a thing, I just concentrated on making my rig scream and FSX came along for the ride).Warm regards,Mike T>

Guest Boaz

>I've gone from being one of the BIGGEST nay-sayers about FSX>to LOVING FSX! It's all in the system, its all about>optimizing that system (NOT continually optimizing FSX, leave>FSX alone and tweak your system - SP2 comes optimized greatly>by Aces and I have not had to change a thing, I just>concentrated on making my rig scream and FSX came along for>the ride).>>Warm regards,>>Mike T>Hi Mike, as you might recall, I wish to rejoin the whole FS experience, but have been hesitant due to all my previous experiences with OOM and other horrific crashes.Now reading this from you, makes me wonder. I wonder if I should focus on FSX or both FSX AND FS9, when selecting my next PC.Having done some research on OOMs in FS, I came to the same conclusion as you did, that Vista 64 might do the trick. But before I jump on that boat just yet, how does that leave FS2004?If I go Vista 64, will that rule out flying FS2004?The reason why I ask you this, is because I would like to be able to have FS2004 so I can fall back on it, should my FSX be less than flyable (read fps issues).You offered me your advice, and it now looks as though I might take you up on that :) Is it possible that I cannot PM you? Because it looks as though your profile is deactivated?!In that case, would it be possible for you to PM me your mail adress?Many thanks for this very interesting development, there is a lot of great material here in these avsim forums!Boaz.