Sign in to follow this  
beatle

Re: FSX Video Record Function

I've just installed a TrackIR and I was using the video record function within FSX just to see what it look like. My question is this.Is there a way to change the default location of the video to record onto a different hard drive? I use a RAID 1 setup with the os on "c" and FSX on "d". I would like to have the video record to "d".Thanks for reading this.RegardsErnest

FSX's Record Video under options is not really a video. It saves flight data so that it can be "replayed". If you set up Windows to place the Documents folder on Drive D:, then this data will be stored there.To make a true video, the flight could be replayed and recorded with an application like FRAPS.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

>FSX's Record Video under options is not really a video. It>saves flight data so that it can be "replayed". If you set up>Windows to place the Documents folder on Drive D:, then this>data will be stored there.>>To make a true video, the flight could be replayed and>recorded with an application like FRAPS.Art, that's not entirely correct. There is -in fact- a "real" video recorder built into FSX, although it is not documented.It will save H U G E .avi files though... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest fsxmissionguy

Bill,So ... for the uninitiated ... how do we use the undocumented .avi generator?And, is there any way that you know of to get it to use Microsoft's own .wmv codec?

>Bill,>>So ... for the uninitiated ... how do we use the undocumented>.avi generator?>>And, is there any way that you know of to get it to use>Microsoft's own .wmv codec?From last to first... no, the .avi file and pathname are hard-coded in the sim and not subject to configuration... :(Advanced Search is such a wonderful convenience... ;)See my original reply (repasted below) in this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchActually, there is a "built in" .avi recorder in FSX. It isn't documented anywhere, but you can assign a key-combo to it in the Options menu. (Note: "Video Recording (start/stop)") I used Ctrl-I since it isn't assigned to anything else.The .avi records only video though. No sound is recorded. Also, the .avi files are HUGE so recording more than 30 seconds clips at a time can rapidly fill one's hard drive. (Note: 30 seconds = ~1GB!!!)Files are saved in your ..My DocumentsMy VideosFlight Simulator X Files folder.NOTA BENE: sound is unfortunately not saved, only the video...

Fr. Bill    

Thanks for your reply. After I did the post, I found more info and it does seem that everybody like Fraps.Thanks againErnest

Hey Bill,>Art, that's not entirely correct. There is -in fact- a "real">video recorder built into FSX, although it is not>documented.>>It will save H U G E .avi files though... :(Oops, did we leave that in there :->

Guest grapesh

Hmm, I wonder how easy it is to connect a secondary digital output on GPU to an HD Camcorder? However, this also will only transmit video if I'm not mistaken...=S.V.=Q6600 (4x2.40 GHz)nVidia Quadro FX 3400WinXP Home-SP2, FSX-SP2

Guest fsxmissionguy

Soooo Tim ...Why not use Windows Media Video codec? I'm sure there's a technical reason, but I just can't think of what it might be.

>Oops, did we leave that in there :->Hey Tim!Yeah, "Oops" indeed... *:-*

Fr. Bill    

It was never meant to be a shipping feature, it was there for our internal testers to be able to grab some video clips of various "issues" to include with bug reports (i.e. things that static screen shots just wouldn't show).