Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Problems with ATC?

Guest greentea

Ive tried searching but couldn't find anything.Anyway, does anyone else have problems with ATC flying you into mountains or anything?I was entering the pattern for landing in Innsbruck flying parallel to the runway and the massive mountains beside me. Then ATC comes on to say to descend to 3,900ft and turn heading to 150 which is right into the mountain!I had to just ignore them and land visually but this is not the first time ATC has tried to kill me, a 737 was coming in behind me and he was directed into the mountain as well but because it was AI they could just fly straight through it.Is there anyway to fix this or is this just a strange FSX bug?

No way to fix it and not a bug, just the way it is. You could either try and aftermarket ATC program or download realworld STARS and fly those paths on your descents and you wont fly into mountains anymore. I don't even use the default IFR ATC anymore. I just use the VFR mode and fly my IFR plan on my own, it's a lot safer :-)

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I usually have no issue with ATC flying me into the mountains, and I've flown into LOWI a number of times. In fact the only issue I have at this airport with ATC, is it keeps me at a high altitude too long (ie: 9500ft at 11nm out when it finally clears me to land) and I have to do a nose dive to land. If I ignore it and descend earlier it barks at me that I'm not maintaining altitude.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I've noticed this at LOWI too. ATC vectors you onto runway heading which happens to be in line with some very high mountains, so you have to do a ridiculously steep descent. ATC should direct you down the valley at a more suitable altitude. I guess correcting this sort of behaviour was not a particularly high priority when the ATC code was written.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Try Radar Contact, but it is a shame MS didn't improved IFR in FSX ATC logic.Ulisses

Guest jshyluk

I'm not familiar with the region, but if the airport has a STAR, you could look it up in the GPS and ask the ATC to allow you an Instrument Approach. That might do the trick.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest JIMJAM

MS hired the 3 stooges to run the ATC at most places:-lol When I am 100 miles out of my destintation and center gives me my final approach clearance/vectors and hands me over to tower, I picture Moe slapping Curly on the head.I fly alot along the flat coast of the eastern US and most times I ignore ATC because of the bizarre behavior and commands ATC sometimes give.Bringing me down to 1800 ft 30 miles out.I feel for you guys trying to fly ifr in the moutains.FSX for me has been vfr,low and slow so I rarely fly IFR.As is, with Mytrafic even at low ai settings,its like the Wild West trying to get into and out of a airports.

Try PFE... Program you own custom SID to follow and have true to life accents with your ATC... V 2.3 just came out and is awesome!PS, no way affiliated so not trying to advertise, the post was about ATC.Cheers,-PaulNot sure if this link will work;http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/ibosh...gi?showd,,10544Primary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigsDual VelociRaptor 10k 3gb/s RAID-0Dual WD Caviar 500 gig Raid-0Single 150Gig SATA2 Swap Drive28 inch LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sPCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLISaitek Yoke, Saitek Rudders, Go-Flight Flap,Gear and Trim Controlhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigsIntel E6600 @ 3.2Asus P5N32E-SLI Plus3 Gigs Kingston Hyper XXFX 8600 GTAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg