Sign in to follow this  
Guest harleyman52

FSX Reinstall Help

Hi Guys,I had a disaster.. I lost my RAID 0 HD and now, I am let to rebuild from scratch.The current problem I have is to get my FSX+Acceleration+SDKs up and running.I have spent the whole day since earlky morning and I have tried different permutations and combinations and nothing seemed to work. There are just too many different threads out there and so not sure which one right..although I have attempted to try many of them.First I followed this.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...um=1197380641#1That didn't cut it...and then I tried this route.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...um=1197380641#9This is FSX + SP1 + SP1SDK + SP1 PAtch + SP1 PAtch SDK + SP2 (The downloaded not from the acceleration Disk)And that got to work in FSX. So I thought I solved it and went to install Accelretaion (Just accleration) but then the Tools menu was missing.So I tried repaining SP2 SDK (The downloaded version not the Acceleration disk one).'That didn't help.I am so livid. Is there an official Sequennce of install instruction from ACES anywhere? I don't mean bits and pieces of information left around like crumbs for us to search around.But one consolidated install flow chart for this nightmare?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Is it possible that the tools entry is just missing in your DLL.XML file? You could try checking and adding the entry manually.

Hi Scott.I did have the XML correctly done.I went back and redid everything..and I got it to work with one caveat.1. Install RTM, fire up the sim and let it complete the install and boot the default flight.2. Close the simIf you have the Deluxe version and want the SDK installed, install it off the DVD now.3. Reboot the computer4. Install Acceleration which will install SP1 and SP2 automatically. Boot the sim and allow it to complete the install and boot the default flight.5. Close the sim6. Install SDK SP1a from Acceleration DVD.7. Install SDK.msi from the Acceleration DVD.6. Reboot the computerNow that works.But I may have the problem Nick mentiones here.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...um=1197380641#9NOTE: IF YOU WANT ACCELERATION -AND- SP2 SDK SUPPORT YOU MUST INSTALL THIS FILE BUT DO NOT INSTALL THE SDK FROM THE ACCELERATION DISKExamples:If you want SDK support for Acceleration only, use the SDK from the install CDIf you want suppot for BOTH SP2 and Acceleration you MUST SKIP the Acceleration SDK install from the CD, make sure SP1a SDK is installed, THEN run the new SP2 SDK installer posted aboveIf you already installed the Acceleration SDK and you want the upgraded dual support, you must UNINSTALL the Acceleration SDK and install the file above over SDK SP1a==================================================================I guess I have to live with this limitation. So my Freeware that I publish may give some folks who don't have acceleration problems?Manny

Manny

Guest JIMJAM

I understand your frustration.I lost BOTH FS9 with over $800 in addons and FSX loaded with over $500 when a new Raptor flew apart.I reluctantly said goodbye to FS9 and went through what you are in order to reinstall.In addition, alot of the addons also have the FSX/SP1/SP2 ACCEL patch progression which really adds to the mess.To this day, I still cannot get simconnect to work in order to reinstall ActiveSkyX.Good Luck and if need be, walk away from it and cool down.I would rather have a root canal while having my findernails ripped off than reinstall again.

Glad you got it solved Manny. I recently decided to bite the bullet and go 64 bit XP, and I'm still installing things a week and a half later but all's well now after many headaches. I'm not doing that again. Jimjam, a reinstall of Net Framework 2.0 should fix your simconnect problem. Worked for me.

Guest JIMJAM

Before I reinstalled FSX, I got the latest drivers for everything including Net framework which 2.0 is NOT the latest.I applaud the tireless help from HiFi but I never got it working and gave up.I forget but I think it uses a earler version of something or another and I needed to load a earlier version of this, a part of SDK from here and this from that.Some addons rely on that update progression and if you start from scratch and install the latest of everything, some require a piece of something old that you didnt install.Good greif my head hurts just thinking about it.Its getting better but everyone is still not on the same page.I really miss the weather but I am simply tired of tinkering with FSX.Its working rather well so I think I will leave it alone.

Man,I had two Raptor in RAID 0 and another pair of regular 7500RPM in RAID 0. I lost one of the Raptor disk which had the OS. so I then tried something that I thought messed up my second raid set and went for a clean install of Win XP. this time without any RAID 0. and split both the sets of HDs into individual drives (except for the bad one ofcourse).But during install of XP, the Chk Dsk went and fixed my Second set of RAID 0 and placed all the files properly. That was a pleasant surprise. IT automatically took it from Raid 0 to regular, Interesting.I now have the lone working Raptor as my C drive with the OS. Not sure if that is a mistake or not. :)This has gotten way too complicated. And yes.. there is not way, I can get my FS9 again. I am going to drop it off and use only FSX.I have backed up my paywares..thats not a problem.But I did lose a lot of my notes that I had learned during my freeware development. I was planning to back that up and never got to do it. The very idea of trying to reinstall everything is a nightmare.I also have many of the FS9 aircrafts working for FSX like the Aeroworx King air, Captain Sim's C-130 and 727 and 707 etc. But but now, without the FS9 installed, I can't install those and re use them in FSX.,Manny

Manny

Guest JIMJAM

I had most all my payware copied on dvds and payware from FlightOne you really do not need anything but the emails to verify purchase info.The last time I did a total reinstal of FS9 with years of freeware,sceneries,custom ai,paywares,ect, it took days.My HD failure was right after sp1 was released and alot felt this was the death blow to FS9.It was then I decided to let FS9 go.Well that and losing years of work and looking forwards to days of reinstalling and digging up old emails.There was just recently a goodbye FS9 post and I regret not reinstalling it.But like me, a hardware failure kinda forced you into it.I threw all my PC games in the trash and bought a PS3.The only "game" on my machine is FSX.There are just too many variables both hardware and software that can cause problems with these games. Some like FSX need to be catered to and have such specific enviroments it needs, that running the latest games at least for me created alot of problems.A common "solution" I got from tech support when I encountered a problem was " reinstall your OS".No Thanks...Good luck to ya.

I only briefly used fs9, as I only started flight simming in 2006 so the switch to FSX was an easy one for me. But, as redoing my OS this time for the second time with this computer, probably the fourth time overall, I don't see doing it again. It is like a month long process getting everything back where it was, and as I put back add-on's I see more and more problems creeping back into it as I go. I've decided to just let go of many of them to keep from bloating it up too much. I have a freshly installed FSX, Acceleration, and I am already having a few CTD (almost always in an Accelerated Mission.) It seems the leaner you can run FS the better it will perform, but it is kind of sad that it has to be this way. It is a constant battle between what you want to run, compared to the amount of hassles you want to sift through to to get all these things to work together correctly. In a way, I will be glad to see the next generation of FS come out, and nullify all this backwards compatibility complexities that just make you pull your hair out. At least then, it will be a fresh clean slate.

Guest JIMJAM

ExampleI spent a whole DAY trying to get ASX to load. Simconnect problems.The guys HiFi and in particular "skorna" I am sure was sick of me.I gave up.Thats was months ago.Since then, I deleted Acceleration. Some planes like the new X-15, have alot of problems with it.Some like the Iris f-20 NEED it for the HUD.So today after reading this post, I decided to try reinstalling ASX and the latest patch again.Loaded right up and runs great!Now it might CTD next flight or my computer might not boot again but I have come to expect anything from FSX.

>Man,>>I had two Raptor in RAID 0 and another pair of regular 7500RPM>in RAID 0. I lost one of the Raptor disk which had the OS. so>I then tried something that I thought messed up my second raid>set and went for a clean install of Win XP. this time without>any RAID 0. and split both the sets of HDs into individual>drives (except for the bad one ofcourse).>>But during install of XP, the Chk Dsk went and fixed my>Second set of RAID 0 and placed all the files properly. That>was a pleasant surprise. IT automatically took it from Raid 0>to regular, Interesting.>>I now have the lone working Raptor as my C drive with the OS.>Not sure if that is a mistake or not. :)>>This has gotten way too complicated. And yes.. there is not>way, I can get my FS9 again. I am going to drop it off and use>only FSX.>>I have backed up my paywares..that's not a problem.>>But I did lose a lot of my notes that I had learned during my>freeware development. I was planning to back that up and never>got to do it. >>The very idea of trying to reinstall everything is a>nightmare.>>I also have many of the FS9 aircrafts working for FSX like the>Aeroworx King air, Captain Sim's C-130 and 727 and 707 etc.>But but now, without the FS9 installed, I can't install those>and re use them in FSX.,>>MannyHi Manny:If you haven't already extensively over-written your other RAID 0 component hard drive or discarded the "failed" hard drive, and the entire process hasn't gotten too overwhelming, I have some information which might help you salvage data that you might still wish to retrieve. ;-) RAID 0 data is indeed stored on each of its component hard drives, and although the RAID 0 is seen by either DOS and Windows as a single drive storage volume, special utilities can address the physical component drives each as a single drive and allow recovery and discretionary use of that data to rebuild the RAID array.Alternatively, such utilities allow one to write out the entire RAID data set onto a single physical hard drive without the data loss otherwise incurred when one "breaks" a RAID array.My apologies if this may no longer be of interest to you and is now off-topic for the thread as titled, but I mention it here in case it might help you or other RAID 0 users similarly situated now, or in the future.I do feel your pain, as I once lost a RAID 0 years ago when I was both re-building and re-organizing my data storage layouts at the same time.I temporarily had only 1 large backup drive, which proved to be a bad choice on my part!( NOW of course, I run a series of cascaded backups somewhat like Nick_N has described using; this involves drives both internal and external to the main computer... and RAID 1 mirrors on the external computer(s)! ) :-halo Wouldn't you know it... the 1 large backup drive's circuit board failed during that RAID "re-build" described above? :-eek I had too many drives crammed close to one another in a tall tower without proper ventilation blowing between the drives even though the front drive bay panels were removed; all were working hard for many hours and building up way too much heat for the close working proximity they were mounted into. :-8 THE GOOD NEWS: I was able to replace the circuit board on the "failed" backup hard drive with a matching one, and then flawlessly retrieve all the data (there was NO problem with the platters or read/write mechanisms!). :-hah As for the RAID 0 drive backup, recovery and re-build process, I have successfully used the payware R-Tools "R-Studio" (no affiliation... just an appreciative user!) to back up, recover, and reconstruct RAID 0 volumes.Discussion of the mechanics at this level of detail in a forum thread would obviously be impractical, however I would encourage anyone using RAID 0 drives to look into this highly capable utility suite:http://www.data-recovery-software.net/You can preview all the available R-Studio operations via the freely downloadable Manual:http://www.r-tt.com/downloads/rstudio.pdfPS: I think the free "R-Studio Emergency DEMO" even does a diskette boot of your troubled computer and writes a remote backup image file over an included Linux network driver onto a normally functioning Windows computer.http://www.r-studio.com/BTW, if booting the computer that hosts the original RAID 0 to do recovery/imaging running R-Studio utilities from external media, one needs to use them on writable (non-write-protected!) diskette media, as they reportedly will crash if they are not able to write logs and task lists as they work.Hope this helps! :-) GaryGB

Thanks Gary.I have saved this post of yours for reference.Manny

Manny

Guest harleyman52

I feel for ya...I thought about raid 0 and dropped the idea quich...Heres the install I always follow.......Only after MS has given me all the updated thru SP1 (vista for me)1) Defrag your hard drive.*2) While waiting for that, sacrifice a chicken & lie prostrate in the direction of Microsoft. 3) Install FSX4) Install FSX SDK5) Fire Up FSX, register & allow the scenery libraries to be built. 6) Shut down FSX7) Install Acceleration8) Open Acceleration disk & install SP1a SDK9) Residing in the same folder is the SP2 SDK, Install it.10) Open the dll.xml & make sure that the disable tools is set to false.*11) Dance naked under the light of a full moon as FSX loads for the 1st time. *Optional but highly recommended to ensure success.The author for this is from another site ,and it works for me everytime....I too have my OS on a 150 raptor...And FSX on its own Raptor...And FS9 on its own 250 gig sata