Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

Ok, it might be time...to migrate from FS9 to FSX

I've waited several months for the software and patches, addons and experience to take effect. Now I think its time to migrate from FS9.Having said that I need to know a few things.1. Installation. FSX and Acceleration both seem to need to be purchased (duh).2. What patches should I download and what install order?3. Is there a list of addons as to whats compatible frm FS9 to FSX?4. What are the major drawbacks of FSX migration? My FS9 install is totally tricked out over the last several years. Works great, stable and I love it. Thats why I waited and was in no hurry. Now I think it might be time to go to the new stuff. I wont uninstall FS9 for the forseeable future. Will have dual sims for at least 6 months, then will delete the old install. That was how I migrated to FS9 from FS2002, which was also great. Any and all advice on MUST HAVE's to get this done in an orderly fashion would be helpful.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

You sound like many of us before taking the leap ;)1) Why do you think Acceleration needs to be purchased?2) SP1, then SP2 (SP2 will cause some problems with some ported FS9 aircraft, but there are some available patches...the MAAM DC-3 has been pretty much kept up to date, and still one of my favorites).3) Pretty long list to answer. My suggestion is to stick with pure FSX products whenever possible. You will learn, over time, what FS9 products work with FSX, and which do not. If you have any you are particularly interested in, just ask. FSX designed products will most always work best, especially aircraft (True FSX models).4) Getting used to the reduction in frame rates, but be prepared for it to be smoother none the less.Must haves? The same as they were in FS9 for me...Ultimate Terrain, FSGenesis mesh, Ground Environment, Flight Environment, Active Sky X (I also use X Graphics), Landclass of choice (I think I have all of them, and use ione over another depending on area), Edit Voice Pack (although I use Radar Contact now, so don't really 'use' it much any more), TrackIR, RXP products for FSX, various Friendly Panel packages, and my various Eaglesoft, Dreamfleet, Caranado (Mooney is the only dedicated FSX aircraft), RealAir, Aerosoft, Flight1, etc aircraft.Welcome aboard. I thought I would keep flying FS9 as well, but it was removed within 2-3 months after flying FSX. I never looked back, and do not miss it one iota

Guest SkullxBones

>4. What are the major drawbacks of FSX migration? Processor power dictates your level of enjoyment.

Guest fsxmissionguy

"Why do you think Acceleration needs to be purchased?"I can answer that question: Because it's not a full flight simulator without Acceleration.Here's what FSX default can't do:FSX default can't pick up objects with a helicopter (like people requiring rescue, or heavy loads).FSX default can't stop your aircraft when you land on the aircraft carriers.FSX default can't launch your aircraft when you need to take off from an aircraft carrier.FSX default doesn't contain a military jet. Or a military helicopter.FSX default doesn't contain a heavy-lift helicopter.FSX default doesn't have a racing system that simulates engine damage.All of these features are required of a full flight simulator. Any simulator that doesn't do these things isn't trying to be a full flight simulator.Missions are also a lot more exciting with Acceleration installed. Acceleration-designed missions have more possibilities than default missions because of all the things you can now do with Acceleration that Flight Simulator has never before been able to do.Of course, if you're just a beginner ... you may not want these advanced features. But the original poster sounds like he probably wants his Flight Simulator to be able to do everything.Cheers,

A beginner? I've been using FS since 5.0, and I don't feel any need for Acceleration at all.It depends on how you use FS, not your experiance.

"Because it's not a full flight simulator without Acceleration."If your statement holds true then I assume that Acceleration includes a B747-400 with full realistic systems and FMC? How about new highly detailed airports? Obviously, then new hyper-realistic ATC with SID and STAR is part of that pack? How about a fully simulated Garmin suite? FAA certification maybe?For such a broad statement you just made, Acceleration does not come close to making FSX a "full flight simulator", unless your yardstick of full flight simulation is only measured by how many people you can rescue with your helicoptor?

1) FSX is the only thing that NEEDS to be purchased2) Download and install SP1 and SP2 (SP2 is included in Acceleration or downloaded for free without the added dohickies)3) Patching, pretty obvious, FSX+SP1+SP2=Good4) Drawbacks include less performance depending on your system specs vs FS9, much less addon availablility (freeware and payware)Must haves. GEX, FEX, ASX, SceneryTech Landclass. Add scenery & Aircraft (if you can find what your looking for per your preference)Fly and enjoy.Reegards,Mike T.

I would also recommend to you that you add UTX to the list of must have addons for FSX.

Guest RichUK

>... unless your yardstick of full flight simulation is only measured by>how many people you can rescue with your helicoptor?:-lolRich.

Thanks to all, and I really appreciate the debate on Acceleration because I dont know. Pro and con are valuable.The thing that has kept me from switching out is the thousands of dollars in addons I have for FS9. (shocked me when I added it up.). My FS9 is highly tricked out. Works great but its become difficult to troubleshoot. For instance I cant fly in hawaii or South Africa because it crashes to desktop. No idea why. (probably some aircraft carrier thing etc.) Figure its time for a new install.I also am highly intrigued by the idea of taking FS9 and blowing away ALL AI, then adding period piece AI that I could switch out based on 1960's, 70's 80's or later. I'd really like to have a mid 1960's period with both propliners and early jets.For current stuff, Im thinking FSX. But right now, with my business travel being out of control, and family etc, this is just intel gathering on pros and cons of FSX. I may buy it soon and install base version then go from there. I have a pretty modern system with water cooling and twin high end SLI video cards and 4GB of RAM etc. So I think I can run it ok.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg