Sign in to follow this  
Guest D17S

Global textures blurring on high loads

Hi,I've had this problem for a while now - it's really irritating. Basically, when using addon aircraft (CS 757, for example - those with more complex systems) with (and espescially) scenery - like FT's Kai Tak, EGLL etc the 'global' textures will blur A LOT to the extent they look like "Global Texture Resolution" is on the lowest possible setting.Alt-tabbing to desktop and going back to FSX a lot some times helps to fix it temporarily. I find it mainly occurs when I switch from VC to locked/spot but it does happen just when using VC.My main thought is my OC - my system is:Q6600 - 3.0 ghz2gb ramIP35 mobo8800gts 320 @ 620/920And nope, limiting FPS doesn't fix it (erm.. I think..) but the FPS would be below playable if I did.Any ideas?Cheers :)

I used to get that before I added the 3GB switch to my boot.iniI would get blurry textures, than usually a OOM error.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

FSX will be using every bit of video memory on your card, at 320mb. When the demands exceed the available space texture quality will be the first thing to go. You'll still see scenery objects, roads, airports as they get priority in the display process.Throttle back the settings a bit, buy a card with more meory or accept that your asking too much from your hardware and the blurries are the consequence.

Whats your ram speed. When you go to spot view long enough the vc trxtures are unloded, so when you return to vc they have to be reloaded. Its usually load time that caued the bluries. I had a 320 meg card found FSX kept hitting it limit as you wil find that only abt 290 meg of that is avaliable. Download memstatus and run it with fsx and you will see what i mean. And whats the issue with limiting FPS , fsx will work quiet nicely to 15FPS, i have mine at 30 and have no problems.

Thanks for replying guys :)So I tried locking the FPS at 15 - didn't work.I'm not sure what my RAM speed is.. I put down a little for my OC.. or is that something else.. mmmbut surely it couldn't be graphical memory..?look at Doom 3, Crysis.. they all run fine. Could it be a tweak or something?cheers

just to add, i'm using FEX's hd 4096 cloud textures.. could this be a prob?I read somethign on there forum about going into menus - changes the "visual quality"..I do task change A LOT - to change music on itunes etc... could this be linked?

>but surely it couldn't be graphical memory..?>Sorry to burst your bubble, but $1.00 says it is.Download and run Memstatus alongside FSX. Watch as it uses every bit of available graphics memory. Unless you have your texture radius setting turned back. I have a 512mb ATi 1900XT, which was once a strong card. FSX uses every bit of that 512mb and would use more memory if it was available.I did a short flight around the greater Los Angeles area this morning. Too lazy to switch some settings, which for my design work are all the way to the right. Gosh, the autogen and scenery objects were everywhere. And because of that my texture resolution blurred up further away from the airplane. Normally when I fly my settings are less aggresive, so I don't run into that problem.Bottomline, throttle back your settings on the autogen and scenery and radius of view or accept that the 320mb on your card is incapable of handling those settings and that you'll have blurred textures.Me? If a good valued card comes out with 1gb of useable graphics memory I'll give strong thought to taking out the credit card. But until then, I recognize and accept what my hardware is capable of and set the sim to reflect that.

>>but surely it couldn't be graphical memory..?>>>Sorry to burst your bubble, but $1.00 says it is.>>Download and run Memstatus alongside FSX. Watch as it uses>every bit of available graphics memory. Unless you have your>texture radius setting turned back. I have a 512mb ATi 1900XT,>which was once a strong card. FSX uses every bit of that 512mb>and would use more memory if it was available.>>I did a short flight around the greater Los Angeles area this>morning. Too lazy to switch some settings, which for my design>work are all the way to the right. Gosh, the autogen and>scenery objects were everywhere. And because of that my>texture resolution blurred up further away from the airplane.>Normally when I fly my settings are less aggresive, so I don't>run into that problem.>>Bottomline, throttle back your settings on the autogen and>scenery and radius of view or accept that the 320mb on your>card is incapable of handling those settings and that you'll>have blurred textures.>>Me? If a good valued card comes out with 1gb of useable>graphics memory I'll give strong thought to taking out the>credit card. But until then, I recognize and accept what my>hardware is capable of and set the sim to reflect that.Thanks again for replying.I see. My main concern for the settings is that, for example, FTX Blue - I could run with very dense autogen around Hobart with bareable FPS with, say, the SF260 - it was fine - and, surely, this must be a very high load?Yet these airports, especially the FT and Aeros stuff just blur out totally. And when I say 'global textures' - everything blurs - even the VC textures.Even at EGLL where i've got photo scenery for the london area (so no autogen around) it still goes to pot.And, again, the FEX issue.. could this not be a problem - these are very high res textures...?I tried, memstatus, just reset once I alt tabbed to desktop.. cheers

For what it is worth, I can sometimes recover from degraded performance situations by:Alt-Flight-Save, Esc to return.Exactly what gets re-set, I do not know, but it does help.:-)

Bert

I have a very similar system to yours, and I found the backing down the FEX SHD clouds to half of what you have there made a big difference in performance.

Hey guys,So I've tried numerous things.Put the FEX clouds down to 1024.. no joy.Put a lot of settings down to really low settings.. nothing. Even on Global Texture Resolution 'high' it still got worse!One thing I dont understand is that on some planes - SF260, CS 757, the VC NEVER blurs.. even if everything else does. Why is this :SAlso, I dont know if I mentioned it, but alt-tabbing to desktop and then back again can usually cure it for a bit.. Sureley other people with my gfx card dont get this problem..?cheers

I was having similar problems and discovered it was the UTX car traffic that was causing my texture loading problems. After shutting down the auto traffic everything returned to normal.http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=25308

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

Guest D17S

The alt tab seems to be a clue. My guess is that the system is limiting FS's physical ram usage. With just 2G total, FS doesn't have Near as much ram as it wants. For instance, I have 4Gs installed and FS physical ram usage is - AlwaYs - above 2G (That's sll you have, ToTal!). At the big airports, FS ram physical usage is often above 3G. Your FS install is starved because is has to share 2G total with all the other op system programs/processes. The Alt-tab works because it clears out some room and allow FS a little extra ram space (but still, not Near enough). I'll bet your current Vcard will be fine.Here's a suggestion: 1) Install another 2Gs of ram, 2) Then install a 64bit op system (or at least that 3G switch to a 32bit-er). 3) Then get a decent CPU cooler and O/C that Q to 3.6. Geeze, what a waste at 3.0! That extra 20% will make a Big difference. 4) You'll be flying then.