Sign in to follow this  
Qatsimo

AI Sounds In FSX

Not too long ago I downloaded a package for adding AI aircraft sound files in FSX. This goes along with the aisound folder in AI aircraft folders. The aisound folder contains a config file pointing to a CAB file in the SimObjectsMisc folder that matches sounds for a particular aircraft type (eg 737). The CAB file contains the *.wav sound files and a sound.cfg file.Here's my question - in order to work properly, do you really need CAB files for these sounds to be heard? I'm talking here about making my own setup beyond this package.The reason I ask is because the package for AI sounds does not have specific aircraft sounds for my Russian aircraft. I was able to download various sound packages for these aircraft from the Russian AVSIM site. I would like to use these sounds in my AI environment.However, making CAB files is a pain. I do have a utility for this purpose but the steps are not intuitive even though it's drag-n-drop. I also need to know if these aircraft sound packages will work in FSX.I would appreciate any help on this issue.

There's no need for CAB files.What i did is i downloaded various engine types sound files from the FS2004/sound library, here on Avsim (many to choose from) and installed them in my AI airtraffic folder. Like this:Airtraffic/Engine_RR/soundaithe sound.cfg has to be renamed to soundai.cfg and should contain only the engine sound settings. Wind, gear, flaps, fuselage scrape etc. etc. has to be removed. Also all mention of: full_scale_distance=.. is best removed for best quality in FSX. Then all the AI planes with RR engine need a link in their soundai.cfg like this: alias=..AirtrafficEngine_RRsoundaiIt took me some time to find soundpackages that i found suitable. Quality wise. But, when it's all done its a joy to sit next to the runway and hear all these engine types take off and land (with reverse thrust!)I didn't notice any performance hit, only a small increase of memory use maybe.My soundcard: X-fi xtreme musicHope this helps.Regards, Gerrit Kranenbarg

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_i...e_supporter.jpg

Gerrit,Thanks very much. This is exactly what I needed.I agree it is a task finding the right sounds. I downloaded a number of Russian aircraft sounds from their AVSIM site and I'll delete the sound files whose titles look like they associate with cockpit sounds and such. I'll give it a try.Regards,Frank

Good info in this thread. Incidentally, have you all modified your AI sound .wav's to make them louder? One thing I have noticed, is that AI sounds are generally very quiet.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest RichardL

Anyone know what happened to FS HotSeat?That was the best AI sound add-on package for FS9. Pity they didn't continue with FSX.Richard

Rhett, i didn't change this because i don't like them to be very loud :) In line for the runway they are quite loud though. Adjusting the engine sound slider to the max will make them louder but then you'll probably have to tune the engine sounds for the plane your flying.Regards, Gerrit Kranenbarg

Guest RichardL

Hi Tom,Interesting point you made. I had the AIBlast Lite version but do not hear similar AI sounds from FSX.Can you explain what you wrote about FSX AI engine doing everything FSHotFSX did?Regards,Richard

>Hi Tom,>>Interesting point you made. I had the AIBlast Lite version>but do not hear similar AI sounds from FSX.>>Can you explain what you wrote about FSX AI engine doing>everything FSHotFSX did?>>Regards,>>RichardAh, that's what I had for a while-- AI Airblast sound package. I removed it though. It wasn't loud enough when a big jet took off, yet it was too loud if you were a half a mile away. It was kind of neat though, to see what types of things could be done with the FS sound system.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Gerrit,Just a small technical issue. I downloaded sound files from our site (and other locations). I listened to the sounds in each package and deleted the ones that sounded like they were interior sounds. Obviously the file names indicated (somewhat) what their functions were. I also went through the soundai.cfg files and deleted references to the deleted files.Now my question - I couldn't tell from the config information if just deleting these referenced config info paragraphs if there was some text that might be needed to link some files. Will it matter if some config information is missing - such as some kind of link? Note: As much as possible, I matched config paragraphs to *.wav files that I didn't delete.Also, does it matter if I left some config information in the soundai.cfg file if the *.wav file has been deleted?Thanks,fb

Rhet,I just checked the work I performed associated with this post. All the sounds I've heard thus far are pretty loud. I'm wondering if you might have included some interior sounds in your AI sound packages. Those sounds are quiet since they were recorded inside the cockpit - especially interior engine sounds.In most of the packages I used, the developer used an "x" in the file ID to indicate external sounds. Unless a file ID has this "x" or "out" then it might be an interior sound file.Just a thought.fb

Hi,deleting wave sound files is not necessary, unless if for preserving disc space. Its important to remove all entry's in the aisound.cfg that are not engine entry's. If only wave files are deleted, FS will search for them in other places (main sound folder).I didn't change anything to the engine entry's except removal of the full_scale_distance=.. lines. I kept internal sounds as i wasn't shure if these are used from inside own cockpit.Reason for removing other sounds from aisound.cfg came because i heard the flap handle while i didn't touch it. It took me some time to figure out it was a ai plane adjusting flaps :)Reason for removing 'full_scale_distance=..': I found ai engine sounds do better fade in/out in the distance. Although the sounds are a little louder with this value, they also tend to pop-in quite loud while the plane is still at distance.Hope this helps Regards, Gerrit Kranenbarg