Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Problems with FS X

Guest ssurjap

I don't know what's going on with my FS X installation and it's very frustrating and I've posted part of the problems I'm having in another topic. I know ACES said they're no longer going to do any more development work on FS X, but maybe they should reconsider.I'm running FSX SP2 on a Pentium Core Duo with 3GB Memory and an NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT. The only addons I have are FS Real Time, Ultimate Traffic, and the latest FSUIPC. I don't have the sliders ALL the way up.Today I started my flight at 8:00 am Pacific Time, takeoff from Boeing Field heading to Newark.Everything was running smoothly until I hit the New York border. It's now around 11:30 Pacific Time. I get handed off to Boston Center. A few minutes later, at about 80 miles out, ATC tells me to turn left to 60 degrees and a descent to 31,000. I was a little slow turning, but eventually I get there.I get cleared to 11,000. Lo and behold, ATC Decides to cancel my flight plan for no reason at all. I reload my flight plan, ask for IFR clearance again. I get clearance from Boston Approach. They ask me to climb to 19,000 and I get handed off to Boston Center. Boston Center tells me to climb to 21,000, then descend to 19,000. I get switched to another center and, because there's a lot of traffic, I have to hit Contact Center several different times before I can contact them.Center tells me to go down to 13,000. I reach 13,000 and a few minutes later, Center tells me, again, that my IFR plan has been cancelled (NO REASON AT ALL).I said--let's try this one more time. I reload the Flight Plan, and, like I posted in another post, the scenery is reloaded, but it stops at 29%! and FREEZES. The only way I can get out of it is to end the flight!If this is going to keep on happening, FS9 is staying on my other computer for a LOOOOOOONG Time, even if FS 11 comes out.

Not sure what your problem is exactly, but I highly doubt it is an 'FSX' issue, or else we would see the same problem over and over again. You are the first to I have heard describe this issue, so I doubt it something that is an FSX 'bug'.I don't fly the 'big iron', and also use Radar Contact, so hopefully someone else can shed some light.

Guest firehawk44

In regards to ATC cancelling your flight plan: You didn't indicate whether you had weather turned on or not but ATC will cancel your flight plan if you don't follow their instructions. As you know, the standard barometer setting over FL180 is 29.92. If you don't change to the standard barometer, your altitude indicator will indicate you're at FL190 but actually you may be a little above or below that altitude because you didn't reset the barometer. Same below FL180 where the realtime barometer could be 30.07 and you have it set to 29.92 or to some other barometer reading. ATC does not tell you why they cancelled your IFR plan but if they repeat telling you to descend or go to a certain flight level and you think you are at that level, that's probably the reason you were cancelled. When I have real weather enabled, I hit the "B" key quite frequently. ATC will also cancel you when they repeatedly tell you to turn to a certain heading and you don't. It's always repeated requests from ATC. I've never seen them cancel after making the request just once or twice. If you get cancelled, simply reload the IFR plan but state NO as far as being placed at the beginning of the flight plan. I assume you have done this and this is when your system freezes. It normally freezes when this happens IF you don't have the /3G switch properly installed; if you don't have your page file set to "system managed"; or your "display driver has stopped working and is responding again" error occurs. What this all means is that you have put too many resources on your system and you will need to turn your sliders down even further or turn off or lower Autogen or AI settings. Running real world weather puts a lot of stress on most systems depending on the severity of the weather and depending on the complexity of the aircraft. Jim

There may also be an additional reason for flight plan cancellation. I think you said you were flying cross-country. Did you increase the simulator speed in order to not fly that route in real time. If you did, it is possible you missed an ATC instruction during your flight. If you miss an instruction your flight plan might be cancelled.I've found that it is not a good idea to play with the simulation speed if you want to keep up with ATC instructions. It is very hard to keep track.Just a thought.fb

I have also found that it is possible to click something in the VR cockpit and cause the ATC window to disappear. I don't know whether this hold up for the 2D cockpits as I don't use them. I have had to initialise the atc window again in order to respond. If you missed the window when it first came up and then caused it to disappear again it may cause ATC to cancel your flight plan. As you appear to be the only one with a problem I doubt MS are going to change their current plans in order to help you.Remember the 60's EDP adage:First blame the operator.Second blame the program.Third blame the hardware.;-)

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest ssurjap

Thanks all.I was flying at 1X. I don't like to use time compresion. I'm using real-world weather. I'm also using the Virtual Cockpit.I've followed all of the instructions to the letter (and I verified this by looking in the comm history in the kneeboard).I also Re-flew the ENTIRE flight and the same thing happened: I fly through Boston Center and my IFR flight plan is cancelled.I tried flying in from the South and my IFR plan doesn't get cancelled.Maybe I can change the flight plan and make it NOT go through Boston and see what happens.As far as my scenery loading stopping, I guess I can try setting AI air traffic to 0 and see what happens. The problem is it's sporadic, so there's no rhyme or reason.

Guest Sirocco

I just finished a flight from Rome to Genoa in a 737-500. It was an IFR flight and I was expecting to be vectored. Instead as I closed on Genoa I had to pull up it's frequency and request landing. I was instructed to fly a left pattern - I'd only flown patterns GA before, so it was a first - and then cleared for landing. The reason I think that happened was during the flight I was batted back and forth for a long time between Rome Centre and Latina.I personally wish ACES would go back and fix this kind of thing, but let's face it, it isn't going to happen. I would hope that somewhere down the line the bean counters find a way to measure customer satisfaction along with cost outlay on patches, but that's also probably a forlorn hope. I also have Radar Contact, but that has it's own faults.

If vfr conditions prevail even though on an ifr plan-at least in the US you will be usually instructed to expect the "visual approach" and will be expected to fly a pattern-at least some segment of it.If you decline the visual approach then they will vector you for the full (though that may be not so cool with them as it takes more time).GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest Sirocco

>If vfr conditions prevail even though on an ifr plan-at>least in the US you will be usually instructed to expect the>"visual approach" and will be expected to fly a pattern-at>least some segment of it.Even with good conditions before I'd always been vectored. I would have expected some communication from ATC, too. I just think the continual - and it was really non-stop - back and forth messed it up.

Well again-in my experience if the conditions are at least vfr minimums atc (real) tries to descend you below the clouds and gives you a pattern entry. After all-this allows them to get more traffic in-if they give you the full approach it takes more time.I just had one flying into Burlington, Vt. where the reported was 1000 ft. ceiling and 10 miles visiblity in rain. They gave me some vectors and told me to report a left base-however I was still in the clouds and told them I needed the full approach-which they gave me.I find if they can which is a good part of the time-they try to descend you to a visual situation where you can accept a pattern of some sort and a visual approach-again a lot faster than putting everyone on the ils.Now whether the fs atc does this is another question-but a pattern entry on an ifr flight is not unheard of:-)Out of my 16 hours of flight on an ifr trip I just did I had 1 full ils (with a near collision with a Baron who was vfr as I broke out of imc-the tower screwed up), two atc visuals which I declined for the full approach as I was in imc, and 4 visuals with patterns I accepted because I could see despite being in imc shortly before being instructed by atc to descend to an altitude which was visual.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/